How do you reduce the clacking noise while pumping up your guns ?

Started by tri-5-ron, October 03, 2013, 05:54:31 PM

tri-5-ron

Hey all, (Same post/thread made on the GTA)

Just wondering how you guys quiet down the annoying "whack whack" sound while pumping up your 1377 / 1322 / 2289 guns ?

I've been using my newly built carbine to do some late night ratting in the back yard. Pumping it at midnight or 1:00am is not very neighbor friendly.  :o 
I seem to remember someone (I think maybe it was Tater) saying to use a strip of felt or something ?
If that is your favorite method/material,.. are you putting it inside the pump handle ? OR , Are you sticking it to the bottom of the pump tube ?
Are you guys using any other methods/materials ?

I was wondering about maybe using some RTV Silicone Sealant to fill in some of the hollow areas of the pump handle.
(sort of the same idea as stuffing foam rubber or squirting expanding foam into hollow rifle stocks)
Hopefully this could to help eliminate the "amplifying effect" that the big fat plastic 2289 handle seems to produce / contribute.
  I realize that the noise is also there with the original pump handles too,... it just seems even louder with the back packer handle.

So tell me what you guys have tried, to reduce the pumping noise.
Various materials ?
Positioning and placement ?
Pics ?

Thanks in advance for any replies !   :)

WyoMan

There's some ideas here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1373076368/What+can+I+do+to+get+rid+of+that+ANNOYING+CLACK---
I use 1/8" thick F26 gray felt with the adhesive backing....cut them 3/4" x 3-1/2"
You don't need the adhesive backing though...rubber cement or something similar would work
You can see it installed in this pic:
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

1377x

i use controlled pumping. i slowly pump my gun when i get to the closing of the pump arm using a little more muscle i gently close the arm. though it is not totally silent its not even half as loud as just letting it slam shut. i imagine if i had something there it would be perdy darn close to silent. i think i'll try something there and find out
closed mouths dont get fed

woody67

I just keep my thumb between the pump arm and the tube.
Hurts a bit, but it stops the noise.

bgmcgee

I use a piece of heater hose.  Fits perfect in the handle no glue no fuss.  Hardest pate was splitting the hose and getting the right size piece. When you drive a piece of junk you have plenty of little pieces of hose laying around  ;D
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Tater

I use some felt dots similar to these:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-1-in-Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-Felt-Pads-16-Pack-9952H/100372174#.Uk7rL1OLNvw    I also use Ed's controlled pumping method and slow down a lot right before the arm is closed.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Colt25

arkmaker †

You can't even hear mine! Silent as a church mouse. Why? Because I shoot my co2's and leave the pumpers in the house  ;D :D

Sorry, could not resist. I've had luck with Velcro strips in the past.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22