ldc's

Started by 1377x, October 08, 2013, 07:20:27 PM

1377x

i found today that ldc's collect a whole lot of lead dust and other debris. i put a .177 pellet in a .22 barrel,homer moment, well needless to say it fell into the ldc. i actually forgot it was there, today i removed the ldc and headrd a rattle and remembered what it was. i shook the ldc until the pellet fell out.WHAT A MESS!!! there was lead shavings covering it plus oil and other debris. it is a good asset to have on your gun especially when shooting indoors. its that much less lead dust and debris being scattered around you range.
i was going to take a pic of the pellet but i dont know where it went
does this mean we should clean our ldc's? ???
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Yup, I wash my TKOs out occasionally, take e'm off, a shot or two of cleaner/windex in the bore, and just a hot water stream under the tap thru the bore. Usually have some lead dust and black stuff come out, not much but some.
Brian

woody67

Very true....especially if you are shooting with co2....the liquid/gas can really push some gunk out of the muzzle.

The AC Custom ldc I sold you a while back used to drip on really hot days when i did a lot of shooting in the sun!!

1377x

thats the ldc i found out was filthy inside.
i had it on my 2300 and 1377
never thought that much gunk would be caught up in them.
and that poor pellet suffocated in that gunk

woody67

Quote from: 1377x on October 09, 2013, 03:29:20 AM
thats the ldc i found out was filthy inside.
i had it on my 2300 and 1377
never thought that much gunk would be caught up in them.
and that poor pellet suffocated in that gunk

Interesting....

Now that i think of it, i do see some dust on the baffles from my marauders when i take them out, but nothing nasty and no gunk.

It seems, from this short discussion, that co2 is the cause of the 'gunk' (or AC's ldc leaks the stuff haha).

Im guessing the gunk is the dust that has been mixed with the co2 liquid, and is expelled into the ldc where it gets caught. I remember writing a post referring to what came out of that shroud as 'Dirty Co2 Juice'....now im wondering if guns that use Co2 have cleaner barrels on average than a pcp or pumper or springer.

It would make sense, because the liquid would be carrying out the extra lead scraps and dust that mighht normally get caught in the rifling.   

woody67

Ps, thats an awesome ldc. I just bought a tko and pulled the carbon fiber wrap off of it, polished it up, then hit it with some silver paint. The whole time i was thinking "damn, i wish i hadnt sold that ac shroud!"    :)

1377x

im glad you did sell it! its a darn good one! i wont be selling it anytime soon.
i bet when i open up my 1377 valve its going to look like that ldc minus the lead flakes. i know oil gets into those valves.

quickster47 †

Always found it amazing what kind of STUFF you end up with in a LDC.

Especially when you just know your gun and pellets are really, really clean, NOT.   :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

So the TKO breaks can be washed with out harming the guts that's good to know. As much as I shoot I haven't ran a cross this problem. I do take them off the gun and tap them on the table and blow them out with air now and then.
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

BDS

Quote from: Crosshairs on October 09, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
So the TKO breaks can be washed with out harming the guts that's good to know. As much as I shoot I haven't ran a cross this problem. I do take them off the gun and tap them on the table and blow them out with air now and then.
Mike

Ya, the TKO is all Delrin plastic inside with aluminum outside so washing out is A-ok :-*
Brian

Tater

Quote from: Crosshairs on October 09, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
Mike

It sure is good to know. There's is the first time I've ever heard of cleaning them but it makes sense.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

KevinP

I sent an email to MikeT .... he got right back to me about this ....  :-*

Kevin,

Not necessary to clean it from shooting with it attached.

If you have to clean it because it was accidentally stuck in debris or mud, then remove and wash out with hot water and soap.

Dry and it's ready to go.

MIke T.
Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

Rualert

Hey guys, sorry I've been missing for a while, prepping for the 4-H air pistol instructor course. Anyway, the liquid in an LDC would not be CO2, as that would flash off to gas and evaporate, it's more likely pell gun oil, or insert your favorite lube for your CO2 guns here.