P-rod with a Compact Bugbuster

Started by vertguy, December 13, 2013, 06:00:29 PM

vertguy

After initially mounting the Bugbuster, I was really struggling with the eye relief as the scope was sitting way too far forward with a mount on either side of the magazine. Thankfully I had the very slim BKL mounts and was able to mount it with both on the rear section of the breech. I am still getting used to this set-up as it seems like my Hawke 2-7x32 that I use on my 2400KT is a bit easier to align when shooting. Anyone else having similar issues with the eye relief on the Bugbuster for guns that use a Crosman length butt stock?

After extensive shooting this past week for pellet testing, I found 2 pellets the P-rod really likes... Crosman Premier Domes and H&N FTT's. Both shoot a bit different, but since the Crosman's are a bit cheaper I plan to keep it dialed in for these and just shoot a bit right when I using up the H&N's. At 10 yards, I can regularly get groups smaller than a dime for a complete magazine. And I am sure tighter groups are achievable as I just need to fix the shooter :-*

I find myself only wanting to shoot these 2 guns now, but have forced myself to break out the pumper and Walther once a while. The Walther is a hoot as I went through several CO2 reloads last night.

PC77
FX Verminator .22

bgmcgee

Looks pretty cool.  :-* I don't have any first hand experience with that scope but what I've read they have a real small eye relief.  That's probably real hard to get used to having your face right up next to the scope.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

vertguy

I am still within the return window for PA and debating if I should just swap it out for another Hawke. Or maybe just try to offer it to someone here considering I would need to pay return shipping, plus shipping on the replacement.
PC77
FX Verminator .22

breakfastchef

Compact BugBusters do have a rather short eye relief. Your mounting solution looks perfect.
Larry

BDS

BB scopes are nice but, they only work well with the right stock length and position on the gun, they are a bit unforgiving on linear eye relief and pupil center to the centerline of the optics.

I like your mount solution but, it (still) may not give you a comfortable hold and usefullness of the scope without forcing your alignment/cheek weld each time.
Brian

vertguy

I may go ahead and pick up another Hawke while I make up my mind on this one, so I don't have any down time. Lots of time off coming up thanks to a busy summer and 8 days of vacation left to burn, so I don't want to take the gun down for any length of time.
PC77
FX Verminator .22

woody67

I have a bugbuster on my 2400kt. . . great little scopes, but in my opinion a little too small for the p-rod. I also had the same issue mounting it on the breech..it sits just a little too far forward. Similar experience with my p-rod and marauders though. The magazine isn't positioned in a good spot when it comes to mounting scopes!

I really like the bugbuster though...it's an awesome scope, but I think you'll enjoy shooting the p-rod with a scope at least 40mm. The bugbuster is only 32...

jSan22

You may want to fashion up a cheek rest from foam. It actually helps when looking down a scope.

quickster47 †

Here's a picture of the cheek rest I made for my P-Rod.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ped

i like the bug buster's and would have them on alot of my 22xx's if they were available at a reasonable price in the uk, i find a cantilever mount helps
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

woody67

Quote from: quickster47 on December 13, 2013, 10:07:05 PM

Carl

I like it :-*
I really like the feel of the pistol grip, so my prod has an AR stock, so did the last one i had.
What scope is that Carl?

quickster47 †

Quote from: woody67 on December 13, 2013, 10:11:07 PM
What scope is that Carl?

It is an Accusoft 3-12x44 Mini SWAT Mil-Dot.  Pretty sure I got it from Amazon.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

TLEVTA

When I got my P-Rod, I put a Leapers 4 X 32 on it with the medium BKL mounts. Works great for me. It's got more mil-dots than the Hawke 4 X 32--as if that matters in a short range gun. I shoot Beeman FTS coppers and get decent groups at 50 yards.

DBOdude

Quote from: quickster47 on December 13, 2013, 10:07:05 PM

Carl

that looks very nice  :-*
could you do a separate thread with pics and tell us how you made it  :)

hijack over  ;)
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

quickster47 †

Quote from: DBOdude on December 14, 2013, 08:21:31 AM
that looks very nice  :-*
could you do a separate thread with pics and tell us how you made it  :)

hijack over  ;)

Pretty sure I have some pictures so I'll do that maybe next week.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus