2240 to .177 conversion. Not sure that I thought it all the way thru.

Started by Flex, December 16, 2013, 09:16:57 PM

BillK

Basic black is a good look.  It makes even the smallest screw head POP.   :-*
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Flex

I kind of hate to say it but I'm thinkin' that the Crosman "Red Dot" sight is going to have to go. It doesn't
really add much weight but it makes the pistol look bulky and appear top-heavy. I've already started workin on modifying a stock rear sight to fit the steel breech. The peep/notch piece will require some modification in order to clear the breech plug but that shouldn't be much of a problem. Pics to follow as the mod progresses. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

mudduck48

Quote from: Flex on December 23, 2013, 05:27:41 AM
I kind of hate to say it but I'm thinkin' that the Crosman "Red Dot" sight is going to have to go. It doesn't
really add much weight but it makes the pistol look bulky and appear top-heavy. I've already started workin on modifying a stock rear sight to fit the steel breech. The peep/notch piece will require some modification in order to clear the breech plug but that shouldn't be much of a problem. Pics to follow as the mod progresses. Flex
I saw that somewhere. the person got a longer screw and put washers in between the sight blade and the sight body to extend the sight blade out to mill the breech plug.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Flex

Quote from: mudduck48 on December 23, 2013, 05:58:58 AM
I saw that somewhere. the person got a longer screw and put washers in between the sight blade and the sight body to extend the sight blade out to mill the breech plug.
I did look at that possibility and may end up doing just that. It does move the sight blade out of the stabilizing slot but that may not be a huge issue. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

Tater

Nice job Flex. I'm hoping to do the same thing one of these days.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

WyoMan

Quote from: Flex on December 23, 2013, 06:29:27 AM
I did look at that possibility and may end up doing just that. It does move the sight blade out of the stabilizing slot but that may not be a huge issue. Flex

Hi Flex,
this is what I did to mine:

a little work with the dremel cutoff wheel, grinder and sandpaper....have to choose if you want the slot or the peep...best wishes  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

airriflenut

Nice job on the mods Flex! ;)

I bought a 2240 as a base for my bulk feed Beast rifle, now I have a trigger frame and a 2240 tube.  I was thinking of a 12 gram pistol in .177...12" barrel and  12" shroud.  The extra 3" gained on the full-length shroud with a long aluminum breech/riser should make it neighbor friendly.

The others are correct...you may go thru many changes with your new build, my 1377 build from last year is STILL being changed here and there.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

Trophyhunter49

You know when you start to change anything on ANY Air Gun , you just can't STOP !!! ;D ;D ;D
I am in the prosess of changing one of my 2240 into a carbine with a .177 cal. barrel of 24 inches. Going to put one of Davio's RP valves in it too!

Flex

Quote from: WyoMan on December 23, 2013, 09:14:11 PM
a little work with the dremel cutoff wheel, grinder and sandpaper....have to choose if you want the slot or the peep...best wishes  :-*
I have several sight blades now. I can afford to sacrifice one and cut the opposite end off to have one with the notch and one with the peep :-*.
WyoMan, I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that the breech in the pic isn't one direct from Crosman. I don't see the sight mounting notch like my Crosman steel breech has. Did you mill the underside of the stock sight to match up with the 3/8" scope mount milled into the top of the breech? How do you adjust for windage? Did you chrome plate the breech and tube or are they polished steel? It definitely looks nice :-*! Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

WyoMan

Thanks Flex...
the breech is stainless steel from Cothran:
http://www.cothranmachine.com/
the pump tube is nickel plated from GMAC:
http://www.gmaccustomparts.com/
and I did cut dovetails in the oem sight to secure to the breech
you're right about the windage adjustment...it is limited but you might be able to get some by making the metal slot a little wider
mine pretty much lined up ok
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

KevinP

Most everyone (here at least) knows what the stock 2240 looks like but this is for the 2 or 3 that don't-

:o  oh ... that is what it looks like ................. ;D
Kevin
Albany, New York

Rualert

Flex, I just finished putting one of these together for the sole purpose of shooting the monthly comps, and getting the most shots out of a cart. On the sight issue, I sanded the bottom of the stock rear sight, cut it across the base where the Crosman steel breech has the rectangular notch so it would sit in it, and kept sanding on the rear part of the sight until I go a nice fit that sat fairly flat. The notch blade was simply bent slightly back to clear the breech plug, then added two green fiber optic tubes, found the gun was shooting several inches high at 10M, lowered the rear sight more, then ended up just adding a piece of orange fiber optic tube to the top of the front sight, and it came into range. Hope that maybe helps some, I'll get you the length of the piece of 45 ACP brass case I cut off to use as a valve reducer. Hey it was free, and worked just like the 2300 piece.  OK, had a minute and found the measurement, the piece I cut off the 45 ACP brass is .41" long. I took one of the "newer pieces of 45 brass, the ones someone thought it would be a good idea to use small primers in, and cut off the .41" length, it fits perfectly inside the valve, no obstruction, and reduces the volume just that extra little bit. And as a quick reference I cut three coils off a stock hammer spring so far, as I'm just using the stock end cap, and no adjuster. We are most likely working towards the same goal, a self regulating CO2 pistol. I read Rsterne, and Alstones posts regarding this topic over on Airgun home. They both managed to get to the point where you can get 70 + usable shots within about 20 FPS total spread. Hope this helps you out, I'm still tuning mine.

Casey

Flex

Quote from: Rualert on December 29, 2013, 07:17:38 PM
On the sight issue, I sanded the bottom of the stock rear sight, cut it across the base where the Crosman steel breech has the rectangular notch so it would sit in it, and kept sanding on the rear part of the sight until I go a nice fit that sat fairly flat. The notch blade was simply bent slightly back to clear the breech plug, then added two green fiber optic tubes, found the gun was shooting several inches high at 10M, lowered the rear sight more, then ended up just adding a piece of orange fiber optic tube to the top of the front sight, and it came into range. Hope that maybe helps some, I'll get you the length of the piece of 45 ACP brass case I cut off to use as a valve reducer. Hey it was free, and worked just like the 2300 piece.  OK, had a minute and found the measurement, the piece I cut off the 45 ACP brass is .41" long. I took one of the "newer pieces of 45 brass, the ones someone thought it would be a good idea to use small primers in, and cut off the .41" length, it fits perfectly inside the valve, no obstruction, and reduces the volume just that extra little bit. And as a quick reference I cut three coils off a stock hammer spring so far, as I'm just using the stock end cap, and no adjuster. We are most likely working towards the same goal, a self regulating CO2 pistol.

Casey
Last week I did almost exactly what you described to fit my OEM sight to the Crosman steel breech.

The bottom of the sight blade DOES touch the breech plug but just barely. I too, thought of putting a slight bend to the blade so it clears. Doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary tho.
I'd be interested in seeing pics of the fiber optic tube mod you describe. The brass sleeve "volume taker-upper" intrigues me also. A couple of pics would be nice. I've yet to test the effectiveness of the weaker hammer spring. I think that there is going to be a bit of  "trial and error" on that mod. Thanks for the input. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

mudduck48

Dog gone, that looks really good. That is what we are all about, thinking outside the box. Make it work with what we have. Nice. ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Rualert

Flex, her's a few pictures of the valve reducer, and the sights with the fiber inserts. Hope they help, as I understand a picture is worth the thousand words they always talk about.  :)  By the way, very nice job on your sight modification to fit on the steel breech. Not sure why Crosman doesn't just make them so they drop on, but that would stop some from just making it work I guess.

Front Site:

pc screenshot

Front Site from the side:

print screen windows

Rear Site:

screenshot windows 7

Rear Site Top View:

screen shot

Valve Reducer-01:

how to do a screen shot

And another of the reducer:

screen grab

I only use the piece that was cut off the 45 ACP case obviously, not sure how much it helped in regard to reducing gas usage, as I still need to do a full shot count from a fresh cart.

Casey