2240 to .177 conversion. Not sure that I thought it all the way thru.

Started by Flex, December 16, 2013, 09:16:57 PM

Flex

After a period of hesitancy RE: having another expendable (CO2 carts) to deal with, I finally bought myself a Crosman 2240 pistol. It was a decent price ($49 and change) thru Amazon, so I bought it as a Birthday present to myself.
Believe it or not, I've yet to run a single pellet thru the gun. A sequence of barely related events has kept me out of the "man cave" RE: doing even the most basic mods and the weather hasn't been conducive to outdoor shooting activities especially with a CO2 powered pellet gun.

Anyway, about a week ago I ordered a few parts from the Crosman Parts Dept/Custom Shop. These included: a 10.1" .177cal barrel, a muzzle brake, a bolt handle and a few other miscellaneous parts. I already had a steel breech for it. With any luck those should be here in a day or two.

I guess my plan is to make my 2240 into a "poor man's" 2300kt. Performance may not be the same BUT it will look darn close (to the untrained eye, at least). One of the reasons for doing this conversion was to save a bit of $$ on pellets since I have a lot more .177cal than I do .22 and the former are less expensive. The other reason was that I thought that since the .177 was smaller/lighter than the .22, I would get more shots per CO2 cart.

After some additional thought, I have the feeling that unless I do some valve related mods, the number of shots per cart may not change very much. The velocity tho, of the .177 pellet should be greater than that of the .22 pellet.
I'm sure that I'm not the first to do this modification. To those that have, what kind of changes in overall performance can I expect to see with a 3" longer, .177 cal barrel? I can and would do additional mods as needed. Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

bgmcgee

The speed will be up just because of the lighter and smaller pellet.  Did you get a .177 bolt too?  Shot count will be more than likelythe same uunless you reduce the volume of the valve.  I think it is the 2300s that has a sleeve in the valve to get more shots but at the same time it is reducing power.  If you're just plunking that could be an option.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Flex

Quote from: bgmcgee on December 16, 2013, 10:08:01 PM
The speed will be up just because of the lighter and smaller pellet.  Did you get a .177 bolt too?  Shot count will be more than likelythe same uunless you reduce the volume of the valve.  I think it is the 2300s that has a sleeve in the valve to get more shots but at the same time it is reducing power.  If you're just plunking that could be an option.
I do have a left over brass bolt from when I put the steel breech kit on my 1377. I drilled and punched the handle out and tapped the hole with 8-32 threads. RE: reducing the output of the stock valve, I thought about getting a pressure/power adjuster but I thought that $9 could buy quite a large selection of potential hammer springs, so I'll play with that for a while. Since punching holes in paper and aluminum cans is the primary activity, max power isn't currently an issue. Thanks. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

mudduck48

Save your money on that. I you just want to shoot cans and have alot of fun, buy a Makarov BB pistol. On a warm day, 110 shots out of a cart.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Makarov_CO2_BB_Pistol/1797
IMO. :-* :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

bgmcgee

But then you don't get to have a pile of parts on your bench ;D. What fun is that. Although I did get a lp8 bb pistol and it's a blast .

mudduck48

Quote from: bgmcgee on December 17, 2013, 04:01:57 AM
But then you don't get to have a pile of parts on your bench ;D. What fun is that. Although I did get a lp8 bb pistol and it's a blast .
Diana RWS LP8?
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

bgmcgee

Quote from: mudduck48 on December 17, 2013, 05:09:28 AM
Diana RWS LP8?
Oops po8 got my numbers wrong . The legends Lugar bb pistol.  I did get the chance to shoot a Diana lp8 a couple of months ago.It was brand new, first two pellets were in the same hole.  Then my shooting went to crap but it's a nice shooter.

onebaddj

youcan turn you stock end cap into a power adjuster very easy if you have a drill press and tap and die set. just drill a hole thread it and polish a bolt to fit in it. that will make all the spring changess easy!
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

T191032

"Not sure that I thought it all the way thru."

Some advise:
I took about 2-3 yrs of looking on the "Green", here, there, everywhere for ideas to build a 1377 carbine.  Ended up doing two.  Now, as it stands, only have "Mr. Green" sitting in Carbine form while "Mr. Purple" is back in pistol form.  Airgunning is a 1. Fun 2. Relaxing 3. Enjoyable sport and the 13xx/22xx line offers us so much "customization" we just have a blast with it.  So don't stress over "not thinking it through"

I have a Custom Shop 2300, .177.  Swapped out the hammer spring, put on a Melon Power Adjuster.  In the summer time, I can sip 70 shots out of a Powerlet.  Out of the Stock 2240 I more recently got, I get 40 good ones & it wants to stop after that.  Take the time to learn what you have and do a little searching here - we have a TON of mod info if you have an evening or two to spend searching.   Quickster47, SandSquid - that's just two I can think of that you'll find a load of info from the testing they did "way back when".  The rest of the guys here have certainly added to it.

Don't sweat thinking you made a bad decision.   
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Flex

Quote from: onebaddj on December 18, 2013, 08:49:57 PM
youcan turn you stock end cap into a power adjuster very easy if you have a drill press and tap and die set. just drill a hole thread it and polish a bolt to fit in it. that will make all the spring changess easy!
I may just have to take a whack at making one of those. It just so happens that I'm pretty sure that a bench top drill press will be sitting under the Christmas in about a week :) ! I already have a tap & die set, so I should be good to go. I have read tho, that the power adjuster concept is often more trouble than benefit. I'll have to put a replacement end cap on the next order I make to Crosman, just in case I need to restore things to their original form.
BTW, I just today, received the order I placed with Crosman last week. I think that I have most everything to build my "knock-off" 2300kt. I'm particularly impressed with the bolt handle (nice satin nickel finish) and the muzzle brake (nice satin aluminum finish). I was surprised that the muzzle brake wasn't black in color. It's not drilled out like the options from the Custom Shop (except for the brass one), so I guess it's mostly ornamental. Anyway, it shouldn't be too long until the transformation is complete. I will, post the requisite photos. Until then, thanks for the replies. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

bgmcgee

Cool deal.  :-*  Waiting for the pics. As far as the power adjuster I like mine on my 2300kt.  I have it turned down a bit because I just shoot paper at 5 meters with it and have gained a few more useable shots.

Flex

Had no real excuse not to go ahead with my conversion, so I did and here's a brief recap:

Most everyone (here at least) knows what the stock 2240 looks like but this is for the 2 or 3 that don't-

I completely (except for the valve) disassembled the gun and cleaned the factory "preservative" off of the components. The pic doesn't show it but I did remove the frame cover to get to the trigger mechanism. I did a little "fluff & buff" RE: the trigger/sear linkage and NO I didn't lose the safety ball and spring (this time ;)).

Just to class things up a bit, I re-bolted with stainless steel button head screws for the rear breech screw and the front and rear frame screws. I also replaced the stock black grip screws with SS ones. I removed the black paint from the die-cast aluminum trigger and polished it up. That maybe an ongoing process as I imagine that it will dull somewhat over time. The "nickel" bolt handle and the new muzzle brake along with the SS screws provide some nice contrast to the otherwise "basic black" of the gun. I think it looks pretty nice.

Since it's an option with a custom shop gun, I mounted up a Crosman "Red Dot" that I had on my garage sale 760. Not sure if it's going to stay there tho. Just thought I'd see what it looked like.

So there you have it! Still need to tweak (not twerk) a couple of things. The brass bolt / "nickel" bolt handle combo seems to hang up in the steel breech. I'm hoping that it will smooth out with repeated locking and unlocking. I did replace the stock hammer spring with a "lighter" one per my plan to reduce the power a bit and conserve CO2 but it may be too "light". We'll see the first time I shoot. Good thing it's quick and easy to swap out the hammer spring.

Comments welcome. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

breakfastchef

Nicely done. You know this is only the beginning for that pistol. It will likely go through many iterations in the future.
Larry

bgmcgee

Looks good.  :-*  Larry is right too, this is just the beginning.

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York