13xx arrow shooter

Started by bluefork, January 30, 2014, 07:33:32 AM

bluefork

First couple of test are pretty cool. I think the bolts are to heavy so I'm going to modify the tips to loose some weight. I'm using all off the shelve parts for the bolts. With the stock 1377 barrell turned down and using a stock height breech the fletching don't drag or even touch the body of the gun. I'm going to modify the valve to see what changes I can also get.
www.blueforkdesign.us
www.infowars.com

Trophyhunter49

I have not seen any more on the web so if I ever get one I quess I'll have to make it!!

quickster47 †

This was the kit I saw advertised but nothing ever materialized.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Quote from: bluefork on January 31, 2014, 11:13:32 PM
First couple of test are pretty cool. I think the bolts are to heavy so I'm going to modify the tips to loose some weight. I'm using all off the shelve parts for the bolts. With the stock 1377 barrell turned down and using a stock height breech the fletching don't drag or even touch the body of the gun. I'm going to modify the valve to see what changes I can also get.

Carbon fiber shafts or alum? I guess the magic weight is about 15 gr like a CPH pellet ?
Brian

bluefork

I'm using carbon fiber arrows. I'm going to see how light I can get the arrow and still be balanced for proper flight.
www.blueforkdesign.us
www.infowars.com

BDS

Ok Greg.. Keep us updated, this is another $$ maker IMO :-*
Brian

bluefork

I got a little done on my arrow shooter over the weekend. I did get 13xx band spacers and triggerframes put together and dropped off at hpasports.com I figured those were more important.... :-*
www.blueforkdesign.us
www.infowars.com

beerhippy

This is an old thread but.....was laying in bed thinking about arrow guns.  Here are some ideas for a mandrel style gun.

Could use an aluminum tube for the "barrel"   Portion in front of breech turned down to less than I.d. of an aluminum shaft to avoid stiction or vacuum..  Barrel would be smooth bore.  Maybe a stock tube with a 7/16" o.d. and a 3/16" I.d.

The arrow could have an inner aluminum rod fitting the bore closely that would reduce the air space in the bore and increase speed.  Have not thought too much about the business end of the arrow but light weight and sharp would be goals.  Perhaps a turned aluminum field point that accommodated the inner rod at the rear and a slit for a razor point in front.

Base pistol would be a 2240 with high flow/ volume valve and port.  Oh yeah,  this is presented free for non commercial use. ;)
Man, that was close!

beerhippy

Looked online at tube sizes.  Probably easiet to use a piece of .435" aluminum rod for the breech portion and bore it out to fit a steel mandrel tube.  An I.d. on the mandrel could be something between .177 and .22 , what ever would match a standard rod size for the inner part of the "arrow" (really more of a bolt I guess).

The goal with the arrow would be for pure speed and penetration.  Thinking heart/ lung shots on racoons and maybe cyotes.  8" length maybe.  Would need minimal fletching or vanes.  The "arrow" could be made entirely out of carbon fiber with a machined point, perhaps scalloped on the sides to a point. Vanes could be fabbed from thin carbon sheet and glued on.  Essentially a carbon fiber missle.
Man, that was close!

DavidS

2 cool.

I may have to try something similar, I already like plastic cased AirGun darts (they do not damage the rifling with the plastic casing).    So going with short arrows is a cool idea.

The ones I will grab if I need to go in a hurry (ie tornado flies through town, or similar):
Crosman 101 (My Original).
Crosman 140 (Sears 126-19300).
Crosman 2289.
Daisy 953.
Crosman 1322.
Crosman 1389.

airriflenut

I've been tinkering around with some arrow shooters as well.  I haven't done any shooting with them in a while, the carbon bolts I made are a little heavy, when finances allow there is a lighter carbon shaft I'm going to try.  The lightest points I have made are using a Muzzy trocar replacement point on a modified aluminum broadhead adapter, approximately 30 grains.  Some "mini-broadheads" were made with the tips of Snuffer 3-blade broadheads cut off and epoxied to the modified broadhead adapters.

The launch tubes are carbon arrow shafts, I lucked out and found the perfect fit inside the bolt shafts.  The launch tubes were epoxied in drilled out sections of a Crosman barrel.

These are tons o' fun to shoot!!  I hope to get more shooting with them now that the weather is better...except for severe weather forecast for tomorrow!!  I've got some short videos shooting them, I need to get more videos made when I can get some other projects done.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

beerhippy

Hey, cool.  Thanks for sharing.  It is a challenge to find "nesting" tubes.  And I wish I had a lathe too.  I think I can use brass tube and get it done.  I'm going to try and make the arrows completely from carbon fiber and mine will be small ( no pcp yet).  More of a novelty really than something for hunting.
Man, that was close!

airriflenut

Don't want to hijack the thread but here's a little more info on my set up...

The launch tubes are Carbon Express Predator 800, .244" o.d.  The bolts are Gold Tip Ultralight Entrada 400, .246" i.d..  The Entrada 400 are 7.4 grains per inch, the next shaft I get will be the Entrada 700 at 5.4 grains per inch.  Hope the info helps.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

ped

looking good sterling don't think they'd be legal our side of the pond so have never made one ,thought about it a few times though
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

beerhippy

Quote from: airriflenut on March 25, 2015, 04:53:15 AM
Don't want to hijack the thread but here's a little more info on my set up...

Hey, no worries.  I've been looking at tubes from this outfit for the arrows;  https://goodwinds.com/carbon/wrapped/sky-shark-p-series-tubes.html  They are ultra light weight for kite building.  They  have  carbon rod that fits the .244 I.d. and I can turn that into a point and glue it in.

I've a 10" bbl. that I can cut down and bore out to fit a brass mandrel.  Costs almost nothing for a .25" brass tube with an I.d. of 0.19"  it will need to be turned down a wee bit to fit the shafts.  http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1539&step=4&showunits=inches&id=84&top_cat=0

So I'll start with a 6" arrow and see what kind of speed I can get.

Man, that was close!