Walther Shot Dot

Started by AS13, February 23, 2014, 01:28:22 PM

AS13

Ordered some stuff from PA and I thought I'd try out the Walther/Umarex Shot Dot green dot sight. I had a Simmons red dot on my 2240 but I had a couple of issues. The first was you had to move the pistol around to find the dot. The second was it blocked the loading port which made it hard to get a pellet in. I read some positive reviews on the sight so for $19.99 I picked one up. Got it the other day and checked it out. It's a heavy plastic. At first with the weight I thought it was an alloy. It seems sturdy and well made. I turned it on and found the dot on high was a bit dim. Easy fix, replaced the battery and it worked great on low and high settings. It has set screws for windage and elevation which worked well. Sometimes on low end dot sights you get multiple dots (cluster) or haze around the dot. I didn't not find either on this sight. It has a built in weaver mount so I used a UTG DTP adapter (Dovetail To Picatinny) to mount it on my 2240 steel breech.  Gonna try it out later today. Tried to get a good picture of the dot but had some problems with the camera.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

KevinP

I have one on my 2240 ... you will like it ...   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

bgmcgee

Can't beat that for 20 bucks. I like my reflex sight on my 2300kt.  Paid quite a bit more for mine though.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

GamoGat

Red dots take a bit of muscle memory training on pistols.

Once you learn to bring up to aim the same every time,  and be stable in how you hold the pistol then they are faster and easier to use than iron sights.

Finding the dot  :)  comes with more practice.

The budget sights are hit and miss,  you get what you pay for.  They can have delicate lenses and be prone to dot flare,  the open single lenses type (like yours) some have issues in bright daylight.  Be careful if adusting anything as the the screws and scope body threads strip out real easy.........

The issue in coming up to aim is the dot is sat higher than the plane of the iron sights,  so your used to holding the pistol at a certain height to align the eye to sight line.  You naturally hold the pistol higher than it now needs to be,  and if you don't hold the pistol level you lose the dot.  I tried some Panorama type dots,  but they sit too high,  an old style tube sight with intergrated mounts on the tube body sits a lot lower and was easier to learn to use on a FAB mount on a G17

Two handed grip and when used to it,  snap shooting should be faster and more accurate.  Shame you can't use red dots in 10m match,  make my life much easier  :-* :-*

AS13

Just tried it out...Worked great :-* Easy to adjust and seems to holds the adjustment. The dot is right there when you raise the gun. No fishing around for the dot. Might need one for my Vigilante ;)
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."