1322 or Back packer

Started by intense, March 27, 2014, 04:39:48 AM

intense

Can someone tell me the pro's and cons of the 2, thinking of a carbine not sure though what do you guys have?

Davio

Caliber: Same
Pump Arm: Backpacker wins.
Barrel Length: 1322 is 10.375" vs. Backpacker's 12"   The backpacker is fine in carbine or pistol form.
Barrel band: 1322 integral with front sight versus Backpacker allows barrel through it for a real front sight (and later barrel length changes and/or addition of a muzzle brake).
Backpacker comes with the quick change (no screws, ma) carbine stock and the pin/spring in the trigger frame that lets that work (or not).

So unless you want the 1322 in its virgin form (shorter barrel, no carbine stock, hunkaplastic front sight, hurtful pump fore arm), you are miles ahead with the backpacker in my opinion... even if you take the carbine stock off and put grips on it.
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

agninja

I've got both, having recently received my 1322. I was debating just getting another backpacker and replacing the skeleton stock with pistol grips, because I wanted a .22 pistol, not a carbine. However, the extra length of the barrel only gives you 20 fps, and the shorter 1322 barrel is lighter and should be easier to aim due to its shorter length.

I really do like the backpacker pump arm. But here again, the 1322 has a sleeker look with the thinner pump arm, which is more conducive to a compact pistol design. Its really just those three characteristics that differentiate them: pump arm, barrel length, and skeleton stock. And the stock can be easily removed and replaced with grips so thats not even a factor worth hemming and hawing over.

If I was trying to decide which to get, it would simply be a matter of do I want a carbine rifle or a pistol.  The backpacker has the edge as far as power and ergonomics, but you lose traditional qualities of a pistol if you choose it. So that's pretty much how I see it.
Black air pistols matter.

Stonykill

owning both and a 1377 I think I give the edge to the 2289. Add grips. Bone stock I like the front site better on the 2289, and the pump arm. And you still have the stock if you ever want to use it as a carbine. And the 1322 is long, but the 2289 is only 2 inches longer. Both are really long pistols. My .02
got a few

intense

I ended up with a 1322 and the stock from the daily deal for 59.99.  So now I have to figure out which way to go.

agninja

What mods you plan on doing to it intense? I'll be honest, I really dont like the idea of using that short barrel as a carbine. The 1322 is a pistol after all.

intense

If I make a carbine out of it I will go with the 14 inch barrel anyway.

agninja

Quote from: intense on March 28, 2014, 04:28:41 PM
If I make a carbine out of it I will go with the 14 inch barrel anyway.
So why didn't you just go with the 2289? Did you want to have the option of going either way, or were you just struck by the good deal for $60?

intense

60. for the gun and shoulder stock couldn't pass it up

agninja

I think I saw the Doomsday package at Dicks for like $70 recently, priced under what Pyramyd Air has it for. And that's at a retail store no less. I should've picked it up when I had the chance, but I also decided on a 1322 instead.

intense

Stonykill

I bought the last DBO at my local Dicks for $60  :)
got a few

agninja

The 2289 in that Doomsday kit is really a diamond in the rough. The rest of the gear in there is virtually worthless, and the stock 2289 leaves a lot to be desired with that loose wobbling barrel band, plastic sites and breech, and loose bone stock. But if you can get a good deal on it and clean it up and mod it, you end up saving money by not having to buy a 1322 with a longer barrel, a new forearm, and a bone stock.

BDS

Quote from: intense on March 28, 2014, 07:52:06 PM
My Dicks wants 120.00 :o

Thats why they call them "Dicks"  :D

Just do a web search, they are out there from $69 Ebay to $83 (Walmart).

They are about a $70 value at best if you consider the cost of a 1322 pistol + carbine stock but, a 1322 pistol doesn't have the longer barrel either.
Brian

NoviceGunnar

I would definitely go with the backpacker if it were me! I think its 72$ on PyramidAir. Plus if you have ordered anything you could slap the 10% on it as well.

The others have nailed the pros and cons.