1399 carbine stock fit problem

Started by Mort Canard, April 13, 2014, 11:50:37 PM

Mort Canard

I have recently added a 1399 carbine stock to my 1377 pistol.  It has the grip screws on either side and I have them as tight as I would think prudent.  I am still getting a little bit of rocking action of the stock against the 1377 when I am pumping it up.  Is there a way of tightening up the fit of the stock and the frame so that it does not move while I pump up the gun? 
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

JMJinNC

I put a third screw on the grip bottom. It is very solid.

Others shim the grip to tighten the joint.

JMJ
John

Mort Canard

Looks like a good solution! I have tried using duck tape to add a little thickness to the edge of the frame but it doesn't seem to work that well.

Looks like you are using the same size screw as the regular grip screws.   Very clean modification!   :-*
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

breakfastchef

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 14, 2014, 12:13:46 AM
I put a third screw on the grip bottom. It is very solid.

X2

Excellent solution and rock solid!
Larry

Davio

Crosman actually makes part # 1389A070 for this, but I have been using a small square of the felt half of some Industrial self-adhesive velcro at that location.  It tightens it up, is permanent, and does not interfere with the quick change ability (or an extra screw to remove or see).

I use the same valcro on the under side of the pump arm for quieting it considerably.
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

Mort Canard

Quote from: Davio on April 14, 2014, 01:09:08 AM
Crosman actually makes part # 1389A070 for this, but I have been using a small square of the felt half of some Industrial self-adhesive velcro at that location.  It tightens it up, is permanent, and does not interfere with the quick change ability (or an extra screw to remove or see).

I use the same valcro on the under side of the pump arm for quieting it considerably.

Ok, that sounds interesting.  Where do you put the velcro felt?  On the pistol frame or inside the carbine stock? 

Likewise, where do you attach the velcro, on the pump tube or inside the channel on the pump arm?
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

Davio

Quote from: Mort Canard on April 14, 2014, 01:49:40 AM
Ok, that sounds interesting.  Where do you put the velcro felt?  On the pistol frame or inside the carbine stock?  INSIDE THE CARBINE STOCK, OF COURSE.  ON THE FRAME IT WOULD BE IN THE WAY OF A GRIP SWAP.

Likewise, where do you attach the velcro, on the pump tube or inside the channel on the pump arm? ONE STRIP ON THE TUBE AND ANOTHER CURLED AROUND THE CROSSMEMBER.  JUST SEE WHAT TOUCHES AND GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS.

Not a fan of random screwage...  :o
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

JMJinNC

Quote from: Mort Canard on April 14, 2014, 12:35:45 AM
Looks like a good solution!

Looks like you are using the same size screw as the regular grip screws.   Very clean modification!   :-*

It's exactly the same screw as the two on the sides of the grip, so when I tear the gun down I don't have to keep track of which screw goes where. The large cross drilled hole is for clearance of the screw on the other side of the bottom flange.

A pretty easy modification if to have a drill, drill bit set , and the right tap. Took me maybe 5 minutes.

Btw. I have the felt on the inside of the pump handle to damp that dreaded "pump slap".

JMJ

John

Mort Canard

Decisions, decisions!   ???  Will have to think about both solutions.  I don't think I am going to change grips back and forth.  I do have all the drill bits and taps.   OTOH I also have some stick on velcro to try that solution.   Thanks to both of you and thanks JMJinNC for posting the pix of your mod. 

I'm going to have to think about this one. 
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

mudduck48

You know what I think? These screws go into the same hole, cut 2 threads off the stock screws and then the screws will not bottom out on each other.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Mort Canard

Quote from: mudduck48 on April 14, 2014, 03:12:47 AM
You know what I think? These screws go into the same hole, cut 2 threads off the stock screws and then the screws will not bottom out on each other.

I had noticed that my old pistol grips never tightened up.

I am learning that there are a lot of quirks to the Crosman air pistols.  ...and even more quirks to the full range of mods that people do to them. 
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

JMJinNC

Fwiw, the mod procedure I used was:
1. Cross drill the large clearance hole
2. Measure from the exposed pinky "nub" to the center of your clearance hole
3. Install the shoulder stock.
4. Measure across and down perpendicular from measurement in step 2. This is the tricky part, but having a large cross drilled clearance hole will here. You can also lay the grip frame on top of the stock to see where you need to start your hole.
5. Drill your pilot hole (screw minor diameter) all the way through the stock and the grip frame into the clearance hole. I drilled straight in perpendicular to the bottom surface, right on the parting line, center line of the stock.
6. Remove stock.
7. Tap hole in grip frame.
8. Drill out hole in stock to clear screw threads (screw major diameter plus some tolerance).
9. If using flat head screws as I did, countersink the stock hole.

Using slightly shorter screws is also a great idea.

Note: you can also drill the cross drilled hole afterwards, but when you drill the screw minor diameter hole , it may get a bit wonky when the drill hits the thin section on the other side of the flange.

I hope this helps. JMJ

John

targettgii

That is an excellent picture of you Mort. :D ;D ;D ;D ;D :)
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Mort Canard

Yep! That's about the way I figured the procedure went.  I am a steel fabricator by trade and used to doing layouts at quite a range of complexities. 

Thanks J.
Benji Trail NP Pistol
Crosman 1377

BillK

I use a piece of rubber band either taped or glued to the stock just below where the quick change pin is located.  RUbber band is the one used on Broccoli heads at the grocery.
Doesn't sound like much. I know, but it does work.

This shows the blue rubber band with elect. tape over it lifted up from the stock.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II