OOPS !!!

Started by Trophyhunter49, May 09, 2014, 01:24:22 AM

Trophyhunter49

???  This is what happens when you take the sear down to MUCH !!  I was test fireing one of my 2240s and had turned back around the my work bench to pick up the pkone and POW !! :-[ :-[ The pellet hit my paper towel holder and then aroung the shop it went!!

bgmcgee

Oops is right. Good thing that Dragon isn't real or he'd be mighty p.o.'d getting shot there. ;D ;D. Glad no one got hurt.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

airriflenut

I'm glad that nobody was hurt!  These things do happen...a few months ago I was in the yard working on our plastic 2-person boat, took the wife's 2400KT with me to ward off any stray starlings (there isn't many out here but a few DO get lost, the reticle usually finds them!!).  I didn't see any winged rat, but, when I picked up the rifle (I laid it across the boat) I heard the shot and the pellet striking plastic.  I figured, "that's just freaking wonderful, now I need to tell the wife her end of the boat has a hole in it and I haven't a clue how it got there".  Lucky I found no hole, no mark of a pellet and my loving wife was not indulged with any information.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

Trophyhunter49

;D ;D ;D ;Dmy loving wife was not indulged with any information ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bgmcgee

Most likely that is a good thing.  ;D ;D   ;)
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

BigTinBoat

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on May 09, 2014, 01:24:22 AM
???  This is what happens when you take the sear down to MUCH !!

Same thing happens if you "squeeze" the trigger spring just a bit too much. I always shake and tap the stock a few times after "Adjusting" my spring for pull, with the muzzle down range of course.

airriflenut

Quote from: BigTinBoat on May 10, 2014, 03:09:31 PM
Same thing happens if you "squeeze" the trigger spring just a bit too much. I always shake and tap the stock a few times after "Adjusting" my spring for pull, with the muzzle down range of course.

When I change the profile of the sear it isn't much, I do give it a polish that looks like new chrome.  I do the "bump" test frequently as I am working a sear.

As for the "squeeze the spring" tuning/trigger pull adjustment, I don't do that either.  Over-compressing a spring to change its "weight" isn't consistent and the spring will elongate to some point changing the feel of the trigger.  I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, I know a lot of people use it and are satisfied with it, my sear spring mod my preference and takes some work...

A lighter spring in a height adjustable cup (compression adjustment) and a sear plunger that "rides the spring" as it is compressed to eliminate binding and a spring that can flex in almost any direction.  Smooth and consistent...every shot.

Okay, with all of that rambling here is what caused the unintended firing...user error.  I had forgotten to engage the safety after shooting at knots in an old wood pallet.  My mistake on that.  Also, my hands and fingers have lost a good deal in the sense of touch and are numb and tingly permanently from spinal cord damage, when I picked up the carbine I thought my finger was on the trigger guard...I should have looked.  When I am shooting, be it punching paper or rearranging a squirrels brain cavity, I have to give extra concentration to trigger control.

This was a case of "don't forget the safety!!!"
Sterling

BigTinBoat

Quote from: airriflenut on May 11, 2014, 01:44:05 AM
When I change the profile of the sear it isn't much, I do give it a polish that looks like new chrome.  I do the "bump" test frequently as I am working a sear.

As for the "squeeze the spring" tuning/trigger pull adjustment, I don't do that either.  Over-compressing a spring to change its "weight" isn't consistent and the spring will elongate to some point changing the feel of the trigger.  I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, I know a lot of people use it and are satisfied with it, my sear spring mod my preference and takes some work...

A lighter spring in a height adjustable cup (compression adjustment) and a sear plunger that "rides the spring" as it is compressed to eliminate binding and a spring that can flex in almost any direction.  Smooth and consistent...every shot.

I'm new at this and still learning. I squeezed my spring as I did not have anything comparable in my box of springs. Like how that cup keeps the spring "Straight". Is there a 2nd spring under the metal piece? Like how it is threaded to adjust, but see how it will compress unless something else is under there that "gives". Got a pic where I can see into the "cup"?

airriflenut

I understand where you're at BigTinBoat, I was clueless 2 years ago!!

I don't want to hijack Mike's thread so I will send you a PM.
Sterling