PCP filling equipment info please

Started by airriflenut, May 10, 2014, 03:26:23 PM

airriflenut

My Beast is going to be getting a Disco upgrade as some of you may know.  My initial plan was to keep it in the GMT (gun mounted tank)  mode and just use my 12 ounce CO2 tanks for tethered continuous fill...a plan I may still go with, I'll have to see what shot count I can get on just a bulk-fill versus tethered bulk-fill.

The Beast is a heavy gun, approx. 10.7 pounds with a full tank.  The longer Disco tube will obviously increase the weight, so I am considering ditching the GMT set-up and using the on/off ASA with integral line degasser as my CO2 fill source, with four 12 ounce tanks I should be shooting for a while.  I can usr my drop forward as a convenient tank handle.

I would like to go PCP sooner than anticipated, merely a budget factor.  In another thread the Airhog tanks were recommended, those are way over the budget.  I'm searching for tanks, preferably new, that won't break the bank or have my wife calling a divorce attorney.  A steel tank would suffice.

The construction of the tank aside, I need more info on what I need to fill the gun.  I have been looking at K valve and DIN valve tanks, I haven't a clue if there is any advantage in one over the other.  From looking around so far, the DIN valve filling set-up appears to be the higher priced of the two, more so if I were to get a two gauge set-up.  I did see s K valve filling yoke at PA for around $77.

In layman's terms would anyone please offer advice on the type of tank valve I would need and the necessary equipment needed to fill the Disco tube, keeping in mind that cost is the major factor.  I do know that I will need a Foster female QD, I can get that locally.

As with all of my inquiries, any help is much appreciated.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

Gippeto

I use a regulated nitrogen set up and a booster pump, so won't comment on scuba gear.

This might be worth looking at. About the least expensive way I've seen (outside of a stirrup pump) to fill a pcp. Need a paintball facility that can charge the tank within a reasonable driving distance...factor that in to the decision.

http://www.airtanksplus.com/products/4500-psi-ninja-complete-pcp-tank-set/ninja-90-cu-4500-psi-pcp-airgun-fill-kit-grey

Al

airriflenut

Thanks for the link gippeto, I forgot about nitrogen.  I'm not sure if our paintball store has nitro.

I found a few dive shops in OKC, I guess that would be the best place just to go have an in-person look at what's what.  I do remember a while back someone mentioned taking the tank to a local fire station for filling and offering a cash contribution for their service.  There are several volunteer stations close by, from my LE experience in rural areas I know volunteer departments need any extra income they can get.

I've got some legwork to to do.
Sterling

arkmaker †

Hard to beat the price on this one........ what I use for my M-rod and disco. Regulator on mine is set to 28oo psi so I have to be care when filling the disco, but if only going to be used for the disco, you can go with the 2K reg and have no worries. Sghould get 20+ fills per tank on the Disco.

http://www.archerairguns.com/Ninja-PCP-2000-psi-Fill-Station-p/ninjafillmrod2000psi.htm
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

tinker

Sterling to answer your question on the different valves K or DIN it's the type of valve on a scuba tank. The DIN valve does have an adapter so you can use a K valve set up on it.
I have bought and used this style:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000B3600/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1377X uses high pressure grease gun hose 5000psi rated for the hose.   To use all of this you will need a scuba tank and someplace to get it filled.
  Rich's suggestion about the Ninja tank is excellent.  I almost bought one of these my self!  Shop around because I know that most of the airgun online stores has the same Ninja bottle set.  R&L Airguns might have the cheapest shipping.  The only catch is a means or someplace to fill to 4500 psi.

Glen

(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

airriflenut

Thank you gentlemen for your advice and the links, it is much appreciated.  That's what I love about CAPOF...nice folks giving their experience and knowledge to others.

I have a 3-ring binder for gun stuff, your valuable information will be noted along with my notes.
Sterling

arkmaker †

Actually, if you are just going to use it for the Disco and not have to lug it around or to far, Tinkers solution get you in the game cheapest. And, it will give you approx 90 fills!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

akula8608

I found a used tank on craigslist. Got a good deal. I don't know where in okc you are but there is one in Yukon on CL.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/spo/4453613085.html
U.S. Navy Submarine Force 1986-2008

Davio

I will second the Ninja tank as being most economical IF a dive or PB shop is near (my Dive shop is less than 100 yds from our business) and can fill to 4500 (which he does for $5 each charge to 4500). 

I am still on my first Ninja tank fill with my four PCP rifles, so could not be more pleased.
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

airriflenut

I've been eyeing the Ninja...but my wife keeps eyeing me as she is giving me that slow "not no but &#%* no!!!) shake of her head.  It is out of the budget but I haven't given her the other information yet...the 2260 tube I will be replacing with Disco parts, I have a spare complete frame and tube internals...I just need a breech, riser, barrel and butt stock for a CO2 bulk-fill carbine, I do have four 12 ounce tanks that I need some use for.  Oh yeah, I need the HPA extended valve face, too.

Back to PCP.  There are more dive shops in OKC than I realized so the wife and I will be taking a field trip this week.  It will give me a hands-on with some of the tanks and other things.  I'm going to check what pressure they can fill to and the cost, I also want to check with a volunteer fire department only 5 miles from the house to see if they will do fills since they have SCBA, I'll gladly make a contribution to their funds if needed.  I guess I'm still partial to the badge even if it doesn't have "S.O." or "PD" on it.

I greatly appreciate all of the info and knowledge all of you are giving, my brain is a sponge soaking it up.
Sterling

Davio

Guys, I don't even know what I have sometimes!!!  I said Ninja, but what I have and like and recommend is the little 90 ci 4500 psi Air Venturi that sells with every thing you need for $299 at PA. 

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Carbon_Fiber_Air_Tank_Fill_Station_4500_PSI_90_Cu_In/4708
What happened is I put a Ninja brand padded cover/carrier on it.  So that is the "brand" I am seeing all the time.

One other thing to take into account: Anything but the carbon fiber tanks (like this Air Venturi) have to be re-certified every three years, where these require it every five years.  Composite tanks have a life of 15 years.
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

airriflenut

Okay guys, I don't know if I am on the right track or even the same page or not...I'm still a bit confused, time for some Van Halen and headphones!!  I can see by the replies that the Ninja (or similar) 90CI 4500 psi setup is the most popular, has the fill adapter and all.  Unfortunately, at $299 that is a PCP deal breaker for our budget.  I know getting set up for PCP won't be cheap, the tank the most expensive part.

I did make it to a dive shop in downtown OKC today for a look around.  What they have is aluminum (cool colors) 80CF 3000 psi tanks for $175.  With a test, sticker and fill around $205 out the door.  Fills are $10, annual visual inspection $15, and 5-year hydro $25.  The tanks have the K valve.  They are able to do 4500 psi fills. 

So, am I headed down the right road or am I roaming in left field?  I still would have to buy a filling yoke and hose, would the one tinker sent the link of work on these tanks?  Would the 80CF 3000 psi tank be sufficient for the Disco fills?  If it will suffice about how many Disco fills could I get?  The physical size of the tank isn't a concern, if I can get 20-25 shots on one fill in the Disco on these 5 acres I should be fine.  I am thinking a pony tank later down the road for off-property hunts.

I'm lucky my wonderful wife has even agreed to the Disco conversion, I'm close to pushing my luck wanting to go PCP right off the bat instead of just starting out with CO2 since i already have the four 12 ounce tanks to fill with.
Sterling

tinker

Sterling, an 80cf scuba 3000psi tank with 2500 psi left will refill a Disco 50 plus times at that pressure. Refilling from 1200 psi back up to 2000 psi.  Of coarse as the tank slowly drops in pressure the number of fills will go down.  So from 3000 psi down to 2000 psi there are a lot of fills!  But don't be surprised as to how fast the first few scuba fills are used up :-* :-*  As for the fill prices check around, the dive shop I go to here is $5 a fill, 80cf 3000 psi tank.  You needn't get a new tank either.  A good used one can be just as good.  My used one is 14 years old and still going as long as it pass the hydro test.  I've had this one for 2 years.

Here is a page that has a fill calculator:
http://www.calc.sikes.us/2/index.php
The disco air tube has a volume of 135cc.  All you need to do is plug the appropriate number in the blanks.  3000 psi if that's the fill pressure of the scuba tank, the max fill for the Disco, and the pressure refilling from.

Yes the fill adapter will fit on the scuba K valve.  The only additional item is a fill hose so you can place the QD Foster fitting from the adapter on to the hose.  You may need a female 1/8" pipe adapter since the hose usually has male end on both sides.  Look around on Amazon there are many others with different shipping costs.  Even flea bay might have what you need.

Glen
(Tinker)

airriflenut

Glen
Thank you for your info and the link!!  I didn't know there was anything like that...I bookmarked it!!!
With the number of fills for the Disco on the scuba tank I just might be able to convince (sweet talk and lots of it) my wife into getting set up.  She knows how much I want a PCP rifle, the Disco convert and tank are far cheaper than the much wanted FX Gladiator!!!  Hmmm, Gladiator $1700...Disco builds $150-$175...lots of Disco builds!! :D :D
Sterling

tinker

Anytime Sterling, you are welcome!

Be careful though, I thought my 60 plus fpe .25 Disco was the bomb then I started to help tune my shooting partners Airforce Condor.  Now we both have a .22 and a .25  from Airforce!  His .25 Condor is tuned to 67 fpe shooting 31 grain pellets.  He busted most of our targets and so we are now using steel swinging targets that he can't dent!
   Sorry that's another story.

Glen
(Tinker)