1377 Resistance to Loading?

Started by WaltWhite, July 01, 2014, 02:32:35 AM

WaltWhite

I have a Crosman 1377, helluva lotta gun for ~$60.  I noticed when loading pellets they tend to nose dive into the breech screw recess and get hung up.  There's also another slight hang up point past that screw, don't know what that could be.  Seems like a slight resistance to closing the bolt...resistance seems more or less with different pellets although I could be imagining that.  Is this generally normal?

breakfastchef

Those Crosman breeches are not milled to tight tolerances so the slop shows up in the challenge of loading pellets, particularly of smaller calibers. Tumbling is pretty normal. Some fill the hole with wax, crayon, tape, etc. Whatever works for you. Alternately, you can load muzzle down and let the pellet fall into the breech.

Pellets with large skirt diameters will be more difficult to set into the rifling. As long as accuracy is acceptable, live with it.

If you suspect that there is another hang up around the transfer port, you can laod a pellet and then push it out back into the breech and inspect for any damage/marks other than those caused by the rifling.
Larry

WaltWhite

Interesting.  I'm taking the gun down to install a flat top piston and valve pretty soon so I'll give the transport area and chamber a look.  Might be a burr in there or some such.

Tater

Assuming you have a steel breech, I have the exact same problem. I was told it a mis-alignment of the lead, the spot where the barrel meets the breech, If you push a Qtip end just past the lead and lightly hand turn a 952 dremel bit it can be smoothed. Makes sense, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I can be done carefully without removing the breech.
If you a planning on putting in a flat top (which I am as well), I'm sure it's a lot easier to smooth out when after taking it apart.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

WaltWhite

This is the stock cheap-o polymer breech.  Not terribly concerned considering I'll most likely upgrade sometime down the line.  Would the aftermarket custom breeches be a better option than the Crosman?