A 1701P (ALMOST) WITHOUT THE PRICE

Started by airriflenut, March 02, 2015, 03:31:33 AM

airriflenut

I've been wanting a drop sear for quite a while, I missed the clean, crisp trigger of powder burners!  A heavy spring in the Squirrel Whisperer and the PA cranked up was digging in on the stamped out cheap metal push sears, a few good shots after a clean-up and re-polish then back to the grinding trigger pull!

Being a poor man a 1701P frame wasn't practical...the sear and trigger link were.  At just a few cents over $25 with shipping I had a pair of each.  I'd been planning on doing this for a long time and finally got around to it.  Two drop sear 13/22xx frames for less than one 1701P frame sounded good!!

I honestly think the inside of my shop was colder than it was outside two days ago, the small heater just couldn't keep up.  There wasn't a whole lot to the mod actually, just creating a place for a compression spring in front of the trigger link.  A small piece of 6061 aluminum I had to mill down to 1/4" thick to fit inside the frame was the housing for the spring, this is just epoxied in place.  I'm not sure if it's clearly visible, but on the front of the extension spring loop I cut two notches to hold the compression spring in place.  My original idea was for a set screw in front of the spring to adjust the pull weight but the space available was less than thought...near frozen hands didn't allow for much head scratching "how am I gonna do this" time, my hands are in 24/7 pain anyway and the bitter cold wasn't helping.

The trigger is an original Crosman.  It did the adjustable sear engagement mod a few years ago, I filed off the hump plus some and drilled and tapped 3-48.  The engagement pad is a small piece of Delrin epoxied to a 3-48 set screw, it worked great on the old push sear, even better with the drop sear!  The sear spring cup on an 8-32 rod was done a few years ago as well.  With the Delrin plunger that goes with it it was easy to tune the trigger pull of the push sear, spring flex was totally eliminated.  Now with the drop sear it serves equally well for sear return spring adjustment.

After shooting over 1/2 tin of CPUM between yesterday and today, the Squirrel Whisperer Jr. 2250 pistol will be done next, then my other 13/22xx frame!!  A drop sear is SO much better to shoot, I wish I hadn't waited so long to do the mod.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

Monkeydad1969

Nice.  :-*

I did the right thing asking you to make my shrouds---can't wait.

Joe
Joe
Aurora, CO.

airriflenut

Quote from: Monkeydad1969 on March 02, 2015, 04:13:29 AM
Nice.  :-*

I did the right thing asking you to make my shrouds---can't wait.

Joe

;) ;)
Sterling

BillK

That is some great work Sterling.  :-*    I don't have the ability to do that work so it's 1-800-Cro$man for me.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

tinker

That's some great re-engineering of the trigger group :-* 

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

ped

I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

airriflenut

Thank you much Bill. GLen, Kevin and ped!!!
Sterling

DavidS

Now that is a very well done adaptation.   Very nice.

The ones I will grab if I need to go in a hurry (ie tornado flies through town, or similar):
Crosman 101 (My Original).
Crosman 140 (Sears 126-19300).
Crosman 2289.
Daisy 953.
Crosman 1322.
Crosman 1389.

airriflenut

Quote from: DavidS on March 02, 2015, 01:33:13 PM
Now that is a very well done adaptation.   Very nice.

Thank you David!!  I see you're fairly new to CAPOF, welcome to the BEST airgunning family!!
Sterling

Monkeydad1969

Sterling, did you even go to sleep at all last night?  Don't make me move down there... ;) 

Get some rest or no modding for you for the next 4 weeks.  ;D
Joe
Aurora, CO.

airriflenut

Quote from: Monkeydad1969 on March 02, 2015, 03:17:19 PM
Sterling, did you even go to sleep at all last night?  Don't make me move down there... ;) 

Get some rest or no modding for you for the next 4 weeks.  ;D

Yes, I did get some sleep but not much and not restful.  I'm waking up 3-4 times a night with agonizing hip/lower back pain...I need a pain management doctor and soon!!

Now Joe come on, do you honestly think if you came down here I would get more rest!?  I'm thinking your guns would come with you and there would be more shooting done than resting.  I've got a place for a 80cf 3k fill for just $5, and just maybe that WallyWorld will have some more $4 CPUM in stock!!
Sterling

Monkeydad1969

Joe
Aurora, CO.

williesurvive

bug a salt 2.0
1720T p-rod transfer port gaska shroud extension 21 ci bottle fed
.25 m-rod gaska shroud extension challenger stock

airriflenut

Sterling