1377 How many Pumps....

Started by TennX, January 13, 2016, 11:08:29 PM

TennX

My crosman 1377 is in carbine form....stock barrel and steel breech..it has a 4x32 tasco......is it normal to have to pump it 10 times to hit a coke can at 75 feet...anything less and its low..
I will add, Im not really comfortable making it a habit  pumping 10 time for fear of wearing out the gun prematurely....many thanks

Cross Pistol Packer

What range have you zeroed your site in ?
and how many pumps do you use when doing so ?
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

TennX

Quote from: Cross Pistol Packer on January 13, 2016, 11:13:32 PM
What range have you zeroed your site in ?
and how many pumps do you use when doing so ?

Zeroed at 10 meters 4 or 5 pumps...anything less really no power

Cross Pistol Packer

you will get pellet drop if you try a 75ft shot if have zeroed at 10m and 3 or four pumps.
Use same ammount of pumps for 10m and 75ft.
Then get a feel for different ranges,pellet impact.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

TennX

Quote from: Cross Pistol Packer on January 13, 2016, 11:28:31 PM
you will get pellet drop if you try a 75ft shot if have zeroed at 10m and 3 or four pumps.
Use same ammount of pumps for 10m and 75ft.
Then get a feel for different ranges,pellet impact.

I don't hunt and was getting tired of closer targets...that's why the 75 feet today.....shooting at 75feet am I expecting too much from these 13xx guns...now I know why they are pumpers...LOL...

JMJinNC

I have a 1377-based carbine and I'm zeroed at 25m at 10 pumps, but mine has power mods aplenty.

As a pest control gun, mine shoots virtually flat 10m (near zero) out to 25m (far zero). For 10m shooting, I pump 4 times only.

Pumping 10 times will wear out your arm before wearing out the gun. 

JMJ
John

jSan22

Tiring out after 10 pumps? Wow. I put 20 into mine. Max power for target sessions and hunting shots. thats the highest mine will go before it retains air in the valve.
I honestly dont know exactly what 75 feet is, but I can guess about 25 to 30 yards. you will definitely see drop at that range with so little pumps.

mudduck48

Really. I put one of the 2289G forearms on my gun and it makes pumping a lot easier. $8.75 from Crosman. PN 1389-025. Then you can pump all day long. :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

oldgearhead

I would think if it is sighted in so that the pellet was rising at 10 yards it would be pretty close at 25 yards, and a bit high at, 15 yards, with 5 pumps. You might need higher rings...
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

TennX

Thanks for the replies, being a newb still not familiar with all my guns....Ive got guns for 75 feet...will shorten up pistol range....LOL

JMJinNC

Quote from: oldgearhead on January 14, 2016, 01:53:01 PM
I would think if it is sighted in so that the pellet was rising at 10 yards it would be pretty close at 25 yards, and a bit high at, 15 yards, with 5 pumps. You might need higher rings...

This is exactly how mine is set up.

JMJ
John

TennX

Quote from: JMJinNC on January 14, 2016, 03:44:52 PM
This is exactly how mine is set up.

JMJ

May be the gun, 5 pumps doesn't make it to 25 yards...

JMJinNC

Well, mine is shooting 8.4 grain JSB Exacts at 700fps @ 10 pumps (25M pesting), and 7.0 grain RWS Hobbys at 500ish fps @ 4 pumps (10M target).

Power mods =  FT adjustable piston/FT ported valve, 24" barrel, extended probe, Discovery hammer spring with preload adjustment.

JMJ
John

redpcx

It sounds like your power might be lower than most develop at various pump counts.
A chronograph would be nice to compare your results to others results.  Cost, shipping and other factors might make that tough.
One easy comparison is to shoot it into something others can compare.  Layers of cardboard, beer cans, (EMPTY!) , block of wood, or some other standard.

wll2506

Quote from: TennX on January 13, 2016, 11:08:29 PM
My crosman 1377 is in carbine form....stock barrel and steel breech..it has a 4x32 tasco......is it normal to have to pump it 10 times to hit a coke can at 75 feet...anything less and its low..
I will add, Im not really comfortable making it a habit  pumping 10 time for fear of wearing out the gun prematurely....many thanks

My 1377 has a 16" barrel and get close to 500fps with 8 pumps, using 7.9 CPHP pellets. I have it sighted in at 15 yds and it is very, very close to being on at 20 yds. At 25 yds it is a little over an inch low.

I will be putting in a FTP and valve, to give me some more poop as a rat, starling, sparrow and gopher gun. If I can get her to shoot 575fps with CPHP pells, she will be shooting -+ about 1/2 inch from 5 to about 25 yds ..... Perfect for a backyard shooter and light hunter.

For you not getting to 75' (25 yds), you have some serious air lost, either in the pump or the transfer ports ?

wll2506