Newb Question,Penetration test..

Started by TennX, January 18, 2016, 08:18:58 PM

TennX

Ive been concerned about having to pump my basically stock 13xx guns 10 pumps to reach out to 25 yards(on the money by the way shooting at soda can)...someone suggested shooting into 2x4..... both 1377 at 5 pumps entered flush with the board surface....at 10 pumps both guns buried the pellet....same circumstances applied to 1322....I really think Im shooting to far and expecting too much from guns for backyard plinking...
Ps...with a scope , its weird to see pellet....LOL..

oldgearhead

I would try a phone book and count the pages. 
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

BillK

Have you tried cocking & shooting the gun (dry fire) after shooting a 10 pump shot?  This will tell you if the valve is still holding air and not expelling all the air.
Seems that the penetration should be noticeable at twice the number of pumps. ???
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

TennX

Quote from: BillK on January 18, 2016, 11:08:30 PM
Have you tried cocking & shooting the gun (dry fire) after shooting a 10 pump shot?  This will tell you if the valve is still holding air and not expelling all the air.
Seems that the penetration should be noticeable at twice the number of pumps. ???

I didn't phrase the question right....with 5 pumps both 1377 just made it in the board similar depth, with 10 pumps buried themselves similar depth...same applied to 1322

onebaddj

Phone book, old bass pro catalogs or biggest bucket of plumbers putty you can find will work. Plumbers putty give you a nice smack and simulated wound channel.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

TennX

Thanks for the replies, Im happy with my results...

WyoMan

I used a phonebook chrony for a while too. If you're happy that's all that matters - that's the whole point!
If / when you get into a lot of mods and tuning then a chrony is like any other tool that makes things easier.
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

1377x

Make some homemade ballistic gel.
Get some Knox gelatin this is the recipe I use
http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html
If you search on YouTube there are many videos and recipes
The old penetration test is set up a can of tomatoes at desired distance if the pellets penetrate completely then you have more than enough power for small game. There is a guy on GTA that took a 10# groundhog @ 10 maybe 15 yds with a bone stock 1377. Shot placement is the key! If you can put at least 5 shots in the size of a quarter at a given distance consistently then you can " humanely " and confidently take quarry
closed mouths dont get fed