13xx based 9mm

Started by srbsmartie, February 25, 2016, 04:14:19 AM

srbsmartie

Hello all, here is a little ditty about my 1322 based 9mm build.
I started with a new 1322 that I bought to shoot with my nephews, of course I quickly wanted more power.
I ordered and installed a boss buddy transfer port, flat top piston and valve (both from Alchemy Airwerks), and steel breech. I also installed a 12 inch barrel and 3d printed barrel band/pivot and power adjuster from Alchemy.
The gun did shoot harder and more accurate, but it was a little awkward to hold. So the next additions were a set of stocks from a 1389 (?) backpacker also from Alchemy. (I love that place!)
After that I got the crazy idea to build a 9mm gun from a pumper using the big bore breech from Baker Airguns and a 9mm Luger barrel liner from Track of the Wolf (they use TJ's) After I ordered the parts I saw the .30 cal thread by trophyhunter49, good to see I'm not the only one with crazy ideas (his execution is much better than mine, I'm kinda redneck!)
So all my parts come in and I put the gun together,the barrel wouldn't fit in the 3d rigid barrel band and I kinda destroyed it while trying to open the hole up for the larger diameter barrel  >:( Add to that the fact that I didn't drill out the transfer port hole in the barrel deep enough so the breech didn't sit flat on the air tube. (remember the redneck thing? yeah, that's why that happened..) In any case it was a shooter! Just not that good. I used JSB exact 81 grain pellets and the fit was so tight to begin with that I ended up lapping the barrel with some 320 and 800 grit sandpaper and mothers mag wheel polish. I still had to force all the pellets through the barrel once each (before I installed it) to size them and allow them to feed. I used 10, 20, and then 25 pumps when trying it out and the results were somewhat dissapointing. While it had no problem entering a rotten stump, it bounced off of a piece of pallet wood from about 5 steps away.
While I am disappointed with the results, I said from the beginning that this was just a proof of concept, so the pumper will go back to being a .22 and the breech and barrel will go on to a newly acquired 2240. I am also gathering parts for a pcp build, I would like to go big bore on that too but not sure if I will or not yet.

jSan22

Yep, just not a very good platform for such heavy pellets. The performace isnt great to begin with, and gets worse as you increase pellet size and weight. When you power mod it and do anything that involves adding more energy needed to close the pump lever or increase amounts of pumps, you end up increasing wear. I have noticed this on mine, the pivot pin is wearing down and feels strange when I pump it up. I read about 1377x having made a custom gun that got some crazy numbers, but also read that he broke a lever from it being so hard to pump.
still, this is quite the interesting "just to see it can be done". Its not a waste of time at all if you think you got something out of it. And you got a interesting shooter that not many other people have.

quickster47 †

Hmm, unless we see a few pictures it surely didn't happen.  :D :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

srbsmartie

Quote from: quickster47 on February 25, 2016, 04:42:31 AM
Hmm, unless we see a few pictures it surely didn't happen.  :D :D

Carl

I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to make them small enough to be accepted. Even the smallest setting on my phone comes out to around 800MB. Plus I already swapped the barrel and breech back to the .22

Craig

quickster47 †

Quote from: srbsmartie on February 25, 2016, 06:14:16 AM
I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to make them small enough to be accepted. Even the smallest setting on my phone comes out to around 800MB. Plus I already swapped the barrel and breech back to the .22

Craig

There are several good applications out there for reducing picture size on PCs or Macs but not sure about any that work directly on a phone.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

srbsmartie

UPDATE with pictures finally!
Thank you for your patience for those who waited me out LOL.
So I took the .22 upper off the 1322 and put the 9mm upper back on. This time I used the Boss Buddy transfer port seal instead of the stock one and it sealed a little better. I also pumped it 30 times for shooting instead of 20 or 25, it seemed to make only miniscule difference. I was shooting at a piece of 1x1x12 board at 10 yards.
Top gun is my new 2240 and bottom is the pumper with the 9mm upper. I had put the pump pivot/barrel band on upside down originally because the top was ruined and in the way, but found that it interfered with the pump handle so I rounded it of with an oscillating tool.

srbsmartie

It shot through a chunk of styrofoam and cardboard box from a tool I bought like it wasn't even there, but when I shot the board it only went in about 1/4 inch. I then shot a plastic 5 quart fluid jug, it went through the front and dented the back but didn't go through. It was free standing an inch or 2 in front of the board so it may have gone on through if it was braced. The skirt of the pellet on both shots was dented in one spot, not sure if this was coincidence or signs of a problem. Regardless of the outcome this pumper project is dead. I will probably put the 9mm upper on the 2240 to see how it works (with both stock valve and a max flow valve). I most likely will not keep the 9mm upper on the 2240, but use the breech with a longer barrel on a Disco based gun. (already have most of the parts, only question is what stocks)

srbsmartie

Hmmn, only one picture posted, must of done something wrong..
here's the jug

quickster47 †

What's the length of that 9mm barrel?  10" or 11" I'm guessing.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

srbsmartie

It's 11", I didn't want one too long since I knew I wouldn't have a lot of air to puch that big pellet. I figured there would be quite a lot of drag, the lands are .348 and the grooves are .356. I lapped the barrel some with 320 and 800 grit sand paper and Mothers mag wheel polish but I still had to force the JSB Exact pellets through once to size them before firing. I have some H&N Grizzly pellets too but they won't even seat in the breech all the way. They are supposed to be .356 just like the JSB's, so either they are harder lead or they are slightly oversized. It could also be the design I guess, they are shaped like a truncated cone pistol bullet with a hollow base. They have a lot of surface area on the sides unlike the diabolo design of the JSB's.

Craig

WyoMan

Hi Craig - a while back I did some testing with 4 different caliber 13xxs...all with 15" barrels:

(I didn't pump beyond 13 because the pump effort was getting very difficult)

The efficiency improved progressively as the caliber increased but the velocity dropped off dramatically with .25 cal. I was a little disappointed and didn't build another 1325 - but, looking at the pellet weights it shouldn't have come as any surprise.
I'm glad you made the attempt and shared the results  :-* That is one huge chunk of lead to send down the pipe from a small pump...you did good  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

srbsmartie

When I bought the 1322 it was just to plink with and scare the squirrels around my yard. I got it from Pyramid Air and they had the steel breech upgrade available so I got that too. I started looking for upgrades and subsequently spent probably a couple of hundred dollars making it better. I was looking for my next upgrade one day and saw the big bore breech at Baker Airguns, since it would accept a 1/2" barrel I looked for the largest calibre I could. Thus was born the 9mm pump pistol project! It was fun to work on, and I'm glad I can use the breech on my 2240 and my Disco based build too.

C

Trophyhunter49

:-*   Very interesting !