Adjustable Extended Probe

Started by quickster47 †, April 05, 2016, 11:49:28 PM

quickster47 †

For quite some time now I've had this idea/dream of making an adjustable extended probe for the Crosman 22XX/13XX series of guns.  but there were lots of obstacles like how would I do it, spare time, could I find the parts, spare time, needing an idea, spare time, could it be done and be reproduced, spare time, and on and on and on.

After I finished my last iteration of 2240 Lite I decided to tackle something new and different for a change and an Adjustable Extended Probe seemed like a good idea.  So i thought about how to do it, gathered up some parts, found some spare time and went after it.

Okay, all that pre stuff was the pretty easy part but actually doing it was another story.  Won't say how many attempts I made but I will say that right now I do have a working prototype and this thread will follow along with what I'm doing.

How worthwhile will an Adjustable Extended Probe be?  Not sure, but for one thing it will help answer a few questions about seating the pellet and does the depth make a difference in power and accuracy.  That stuff will come later when I get through playing with what I've done and decide to actually see if there is anything to be gained from this.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brutuz

Wow it's soo cool to see a new idea in real life, this seems to be a very clever idea, I assume to push the pellet past the tp-hole in the barrel and experimenting pushing it a tad further too?

Not sure but the threads on the probe might give a bit of extra power caused by the twister-effect?
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

quickster47 †

Quote from: Brutuz on April 06, 2016, 12:05:17 AM
Wow it's soo cool to see a new idea in real life, this seems to be a very clever idea, I assume to push the pellet past the tp-hole in the barrel and experimenting pushing it a tad further too?

Not sure but the threads on the probe might give a bit of extra power caused by the twister-effect?

As you will see in a later post the whole thing about doing this Adjustable Extended Probe is to experiment with pellet placement as it relates to the transfer port orifice.  I also plan on messing around a little bit with the actual probe part since I did make several of the extended probes with the idea of trying different ideas and suggestions from others.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

CraigH

Nice presentation of the prototype.  Always great when "for quite some time" becomes a real thing.  :-*
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

ped

nice work Carl look forward to seeing your test results
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

JMJinNC

I like it! Great idea.

I might try this using a long, turned-down set screw for the probe.

JMJ
John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 06, 2016, 05:45:42 PM
I like it! Great idea.

I might try this using a long, turned-down set screw for the probe.

JMJ

You know with what you just said that gives me another idea to try.  Oh well, back to the drawing board and off to the machine shop to make some more pieces parts.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

KevinP

What a great idea to work on  ...   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

BillK

Looks great!  Can you back out the probe after placing the pellet to make it a probless shot?
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

quickster47 †

Quote from: BillK on April 06, 2016, 07:44:44 PM
Looks great!  Can you back out the probe after placing the pellet to make it a probless shot?

I am pretty sure you can do that and is one of those things I hope to prove possible.  Right now I'm modifying a breech to make use of the adjuster.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

CraigH

Carl,

Seeing your work, I'm sure you have something excellent in mind.  I'm thinking a little lever on the side or back of the breech.  But I'm not good enough to see adjustable and retractable together at the moment.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

quickster47 †

Quote from: CraigH on April 06, 2016, 08:46:27 PM
Carl,

Seeing your work, I'm sure you have something excellent in mind.  I'm thinking a little lever on the side or back of the breech.  But I'm not good enough to see adjustable and retractable together at the moment.

Craig if you look at the drawings you can see that by turning the 2/56 threaded rod counter clockwise I can retract the probe all the way to where it does not show or by twisting it clockwise I can extend the probe to almost 0.5"

The other thing you are probably not seeing just yet is that the adjuster sticks out the back of the breech.  More to come on that later.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Tater

Very cool stuff Carl! You're an innovator.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

tinker

(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

CraigH

Carl,

Apologies if I wasn't clear.  I see what the adjuster does and that it sticks out the rear; that's where I am trying to imagine a quick retraction by a little lever.  I see it can adjust for any pellet, an excellent feature; and that it can be turned all the way back to clear the transfer port (without losing can-cans   :) ).  Is the sleeve a stop setting device?  I was trying to imagine an ability to have a quick retraction and be adjustable in the same device.     :)

Looking forward to the next installment on this mod.   :-*
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado