wad cutters

Started by saltierdog, April 19, 2016, 02:08:06 AM

saltierdog

Installed the new barrel, steel breech and bolt on my 2240 and am having trouble loading wad cutters. Any ideas? BTW, shoots round nose just fine.
crosman 2240
              150 (still in box)
              C11

quickster47 †

Quote from: saltierdog on April 19, 2016, 02:08:06 AM
Installed the new barrel, steel breech and bolt on my 2240 and am having trouble loading wad cutters. Any ideas? BTW, shoots round nose just fine.

Is the breech screw in the front position or the rear position?  You are not the first to experience this problem.

For some unknown reason, the steel breech with the front position breech screw loads wadcutters awkwardly.  Not sure why.  They seem to get hung up on the cutout milled for the breech screw.  One possible solution is to dribble some melted wax or crayon in the breech screw cutout.  This appears to make loading smoother.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

CraigH

saltierdog,

Carl's answer is what generally, frequently, and almost always is the issue.  But I have had problems on .177 caliber pistols hanging up beyond the front breech screw as the pellet enters the barrel (and not always being patient frequently jam the pellet requiring removal with a rod).  I rarely have any problems with .22's.  Are you stating a problem at the breech screw (use Carl's solution) or farther in as the pellet begins to enter the barrel?
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

quickster47 †

Quote from: CraigH on April 19, 2016, 02:38:43 AM
saltierdog,

Carl's answer is what generally, frequently, and almost always is the issue.  But I have had problems on .177 caliber pistols hanging up beyond the front breech screw as the pellet enters the barrel (and not always being patient frequently jam the pellet requiring removal with a rod).  I rarely have any problems with .22's.  Are you stating a problem at the breech screw (use Carl's solution) or farther in as the pellet begins to enter the barrel?

Good point Craig about it possibly getting hung up as it enters the barrel.  I did think about that but forgot to address it.

And for the life of me I'm really not sure what causes that problem unless it is possibly the fitment of the barrel to the breech.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

CraigH

I had been thinking of touching a .22 barrel with a countersink - they are pretty close.  I have not looked at a .177 closely, but as the breeches are the same I think a .177 would possibly benefit.  Have to think carefully on the latter as to how much would be (or needs to be removed), dependent on breech seal.  And as I think about it right now, that could be a problem as the bolt at the seal is smaller and I am talking about removing where that seal seats.  Could end up with no sealing.   ???
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

BillK

You could use a .22 size bolt o-ring  or larger, if you make the barrel too big.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Ken

Quote from: quickster47 on April 19, 2016, 02:27:51 AM
Is the breech screw in the front position or the rear position?  You are not the first to experience this problem.

For some unknown reason, the steel breech with the front position breech screw loads wadcutters awkwardly.  Not sure why.  They seem to get hung up on the cutout milled for the breech screw.  One possible solution is to dribble some melted wax or crayon in the breech screw cutout.  This appears to make loading smoother.

Carl
I will have to check out the wax idea. I have had the same issue with my 1377 as I mainly shoot wadcutters but the hollow points load with no problem. Thanks for the info.
                                                                                                                                                                                 Ken
Ken

WyoMan

Some other ideas...
Load straight up or straight down
Shim the breech screw so it's flush with the top of the counter bore
Knock the sharp edge off of the counter bore:

Easy to do with some 600 grit rolled up tight and slipped thru the bolt bore. Work it in and out with pressure applied to the counter bore edge. I use the eraser end of a pencil to apply the pressure...no pics of that but it works  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

JMJinNC

I just put a few drops of molten wax over the breech screw, then cycle the bolt to smooth it out.

JMJ
John

Crosshairs

Yeah the wax trick works great.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!