Williams WGRS-54 problems

Started by beejwest, June 03, 2016, 02:22:01 AM

beejwest

OK gurus.  I've epoxied my disco front fiber optic to a muzzle brake that is the same diameter as the disco brake.  Before I busted out the epoxy, I taped it on and shot to make sure it was within the adjustable range of the rear sight.  Well, guess what?  I epoxied, and as it turns out I should have taken a few more shots because I can't adjust the rear low enough.  When it's maxed out, I'm shooting about 3/4" high at 10-20 yards.  Not the end of the world as I can use hold under, but I hate hold under.  Anyways, put your thinking caps on and tell me how to fix my issue.  uhhh pictures......so no pics, but it's on a steel breech, google the sight and you'll see how it works.  TIA!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

The only cure I've found is to raise the front sight.
Stranded in California.

quickster47 †

Quote from: 7624452 on June 03, 2016, 02:38:55 AM
The only cure I've found is to raise the front sight.

If you can't lower the rear elevation any more then as Art said, you need to raise the front sight.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BillK

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=williams+sight+blades&ksubmit=y

There are different height sight blades for the Williams.  The two styles at top left will fit your base.  Hopefully the shortest blade or firesight blade will be low enough.  Only one way to find out......
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

beejwest

Already have the shortest aperture:/ no real good way to raise the front.  Gotta figure something out!
Full blown Crosmaniac.

BillK

I'm not sure, but I think that a Discovery sight may be lower than the Williams.  Especially with the low blade.  The Disco uses the Williams sight blades.   This pic shows one of the higher blades and the mounting tube has been trimmed so the sight is closer to the shooter.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

beejwest

I had to go pull the disco parts diagram.  I wasn't aware the rear disco sight attached with a sleeve like that.  Just from looking at your picture I can tell it sits lower than the WGRS.  All this was not un-solvable prior to me epoxying on my front sight to my brake.   :-[  Now I have an epoxied sight that doesn't do much for me except over shoot everything I point at.  At least on my stubby I knew it was going to be an issue, and I haven't done anything with that yet.  That thing is shooting probably 12-15" high at 10 yards with the WGRS as low as possible.  Not sure what the fix is going to be with that build, as it needs to be aesthetically pleasing.  As far as my 2240, I may just epoxy another piece of fiber optic rod to the top of the front sight to raise it a bit more...
Full blown Crosmaniac.

BigErn

Looks like you need a new brake or a red dot  ???

beejwest

Quote from: quickster47 on June 03, 2016, 02:56:13 AM
If you can't lower the rear elevation any more then as Art said, you need to raise the front sight.

Carl

Did you have trouble with the disco brake with fiber optic and the wgrs?
Full blown Crosmaniac.

quickster47 †

Quote from: beejwest on June 05, 2016, 07:15:00 PM
Did you have trouble with the disco brake with fiber optic and the wgrs?

Not really.  My combo appeared to work okay.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

beejwest

Full blown Crosmaniac.

RetatCDude

Put a drop of epoxy on the top of the sight.
High enough?
Put on another one.

Or cut a piece of plastic and epoxy it to the front sight.
Too high?
Dremel wheel shorter.

Don't give up.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

RinCG

Ive been reading this thread with great interest. I may be mistaken but if it hasn't been said yet : on the 13xx/22xx platform, the WGRS-54 needs a front sight height that is 1/2" from top of barrel. That is with the WGRS at it's lowest setting with it's lowest aperture. Others have eluded to raise the front/lower rear and know that info doesn't solve the problem but should tell you what needs to be done. I like your epoxy another f.o. rod on top the other idea. if done correctly it would equal multiple aim points like an open front mil-dot.

RetatCDude

Absolutely correct.
In fact some of the pistoleros of old did exactly that.
I remember seeing some of Elmer Keith's front sights.
Very tall with marks carved in them for various distances.

In fact he shot a mule deer with a revolver at 600 yards using open sights using those distance marks.

Shoot  safe.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

RinCG

Quote from: RetatCDude on June 10, 2016, 03:34:00 PM
Absolutely correct.
In fact some of the pistoleros of old did exactly that.
I remember seeing some of Elmer Keith's front sights.
Very tall with marks carved in them for various distances.

In fact he shot a mule deer with a revolver at 600 yards using open sights using those distance marks.

Shoot  safe.
Sitting with elbows rested on knees!
Sixguns by Keith is a great book for any pistolero and really gives great details on sighting with iron sights.