Crosman 2300T rear sight question

Started by flairgunner77, December 10, 2023, 10:56:44 PM

flairgunner77

I recently bought a 2 stage trigger for my 2300T and started to install it today but cannot get the rear sight off to replace the hammer.  My 2300 has the rearward breech screw so unless I can get the rear sight off to pull the old hammer and expose the breech screw, I'm kind of stuck!  I read the gateway to airguns comment to use a hammer and dowel to beat the sight off, but no luck. So, my question is whether anyone have an alternative method of driving the sight off the breech or, if not, can I carefully put the tube and barrel in a vise so when I wack the dowel the barrel doesn't rock back in my hand. I've tried a jewelers hammer and a claw hammer without results and I'm trying no to wreck the sight.  All solutions will be attempted.

Thanks for reading,  Dave B

Stranded in California.

flairgunner77

It is a Crosman LPA MIM rear sight that the Crosman Custom Shop installed on their 2300T pistols.

CraigH

Been a while since handling a pistol with the LPA, but the sight was not tight.   IIRC, there are two screws holding the sight in place, and I assume you have removed or loosened them.

About all you can do is place the tube in a vice with good protection, and gently tap the sight from both sides alternately until movement is seen.  Perhaps some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster for lubricant.

New idea - clamp the barrel by using hardwood blocks to avoid clamping on the gas tube.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

flairgunner77

Craig, thanks for the reply. I have checked the sight carefully under a flashlight and glass and there are no screws that I can see that hold the sight onto the dovetails.  The post I read in GTA suggests that there are wedges in the dovetail to hold the sight in place with no movement. I removed the screw on top that controls the sight elevation but that did not help.  I have dropped penetrating oil on the dovetails.  Can't use heat as I'm sure that sight has plastic that will melt.

Sooo...it looks as if the next option is to have a friend hold the barrel and tube assembly vertical with the breech plug on an unmovable padded surface while I hold the dowel in place and carefully wack it with a hammer. Might not get to this until tomorrow.  If this doesn't work I guess the vise is the final option and, as you suggest, I will use some wooden pieces in the vice jaws to cushion the barrel.  If I screw up the barrel that's prolly the cheapest piece to replace and most difficult to dent, I think, unless I choose a lothar Walther barrel. 

Brutuz

Two small holes on top
Used the 2nd smallest hex to loosen the screws
Push the rear of the site down to gain access to both grubscrews
I read you had removed the elevation screw, if both tiny springs came out, slide them on the hex key and use it as a guide while putting the hex key tip in the hole where the tiny springs go

I had to check and remove and replace the mim sight of my 1377special to be able to write above  :D
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

flairgunner77

Brutuz, thank you.  Unfortunately, after trying every hex key in my collection, I cannot seem to find the correct sized key to unscrew what must be hex screws.  I tried to look up the your Lyman hex key set but could not find it. From your picture, it looks like the second smallest hex is 1/16, and, while I feel somewhat stupid about this, I wonder if you would confirm that size because my 1/16 hex wrench did not seem to lock into a socket.  If I can't get the sight off, it looks like I'll have to sacrifice the sight by driving the hinge pin out to get to the screws.  Seems silly, but I need to get the pistol apart to install the new grip.  Anything you can suggest would be most appreciated. I was thinking of going to red dot anyway but just find it hard to break something on what seems like a simple task. Thanks again for the help! Dave B

Brutuz

I'm sorry I am not familiar with US sizes, my life is in meters that's why I included the pic of the hex set  :-[

Are you sure you pressed on the rear side of the sight? If it isn't pressed you cannot get to the grub screws. It's an angle thing.

It's the tiny breech screw hex and than one hex size up.

Do try again
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

flairgunner77

Thanks!  It is frustrating to have both SAE and metric sizes and keep them straight.  The breech screw hex is a .050 size and I don't know if SAE or metric, just that I have one with a handle and two standard L shaped ones.  I'll have to figure out the next size up.  I did not see any tiny springs come out when I removed the elevation screw and I have screwed that screw back down to where it clicks.  I'll try again later tonight and let you know how it goes.  Sounds like Crosman to use the 050 sized hex. I'll write a pass or fail when I finish tonight.

flairgunner77

Brutuz, it is done. When all else fails, judicious use of force is sometimes the only solution. I could not get a hex wrench to set into the grub, but I had recently bought a punch set and the 1/16 punch fit perfectly into the pin at the rear of the sight. I took the top adjusting screw out and found only one spring when it came apart.  The 1/16 hex wrench worked on the grub screws once exposed. The reason I had a problem is that my 1/16 hex wrenches did not have enough reach to set into the grub head.  Lesson learned - find my L shaped hex wrenches. Sight pieces are in a small bag.  Thank you once again for taking the time to educate me on how the sight was fastened to the breech. I could have used the 'beat it off with a dowel method' presented in GTA and never had success. 

Best Regards and Happy Holidays - Dave B

CraigH

Tight screws to make removal difficult.    ;)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

I had a bad experience with this sight a long time ago and never used one again.  Crosman should have put a standard dovetail on the steel breeches.
Stranded in California.