Preferred muzzle brake for a 2300S

Started by Drdan, December 11, 2023, 04:44:12 AM

crossliner

The DFL Tanto ( I own 2) is  a heavy piece for a pistol.

Unfortunately, I did not get to compare them due to geographical locations, obviously.

Attached to a C02 pistol, their performance should be about the same depending on the Matt LDC's size.

They come in 1" and 30mm and come in threaded or slip-fit.

They're a sealed vessel though.

Drdan

What's the performance of the Delrin muzzle brake like compared to DonnyDL and others which are coveted by the airgun community?  I saw one that is adjustable in that two hex screws tighten the attachment area around the gun's barrel. 

RetatCDude

I have a slip-on TKO muzzle brake which I do not use on my 2300S because I use open sights.
But it is very quiet.
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Drdan

Thank you for your input on the muzzle brake.  I have plenty of time to decide what to get, but it's hìgood to know that the TKO's are silent.

I heard that the 2300S's iron sights are good.  What's your take on them?  I was thinking on placing a 4X fixed sope on the pistol, but it's probably not at all needed for 10 meter target shooting and occasional longer shots for plinking.

Drdan

I used to order many things from e-Bay UK, but ever since Brexit the German Customs have been holding packages hostage for a ludicrous % of the packages value.  They'd love air gun parts.   ;D

crossliner

Quote from: Drdan on December 16, 2023, 04:37:38 PM
What's the performance of the Delrin muzzle brake like compared to DonnyDL and others which are coveted by the airgun community?  I saw one that is adjustable in that two hex screws tighten the attachment area around the gun's barrel.

The DFL Tanto and the 30mm MW delrin LDC has about the same sound-mitigating prowess.

I have a 1/2x20 threaded TKO as well.

It's louder then my Tanto.

TKOs do not have the finish that Matt Winser LDCs have.

This is from someone who is also very meticulous.

crossliner

My TKO with a foam Sleeve from Atlantis Fitness.

crossliner

crossliner

Drdan

The foam sleeves certainly offer protection, but do they also augment the sound suppression?

crossliner

Protection, yes, and a bit of sound suppression probably  :-\

They're pre-cut with nice edges; wire or laser.

The ones wrapping the Tanto and the AUO (the longest of the 3) are for AR applications, particularly for buffer tubes, hence very dense.

Drdan

DonnyFL suppressors are said to use felt wrapping in the inside of the tube.  I have an hypothesis that Sorbothane (a visco elastic polymer), would be even superior, and getting a DonnyFL muzzle brake would give me the opportunity to experiment. 

I use Sorbothane insoles in all my shoes and while running.  It supposedly absorbs 94.7% trauma, and while walking or running the difference is immediately experienced.  Deformation of the insole causes molecular friction with the release of heat (hysteresis).  It's a pretty amazing and inexpensive material, and has many applications. 

Maybe makers of air gun moderators can custom make Sorbothane sleeves if the material proves to be effective in sound suppression.

crossliner

Quote from: Drdan on December 16, 2023, 07:03:59 PM
DonnyFL suppressors are said to use felt wrapping in the inside of the tube.  I have an hypothesis that Sorbothane (a visco elastic polymer), would be even superior, and getting a DonnyFL muzzle brake would give me the opportunity to experiment. 

I use Sorbothane insoles in all my shoes and while running.  It supposedly absorbs 94.7% trauma, and while walking or running the difference is immediately experienced.  Deformation of the insole causes molecular friction with the release of heat (hysteresis).  It's a pretty amazing and inexpensive material, and has many applications. 

Maybe makers of air gun moderators can custom make Sorbothane sleeves if the material proves to be effective in sound suppression.

I have sorbothane pads from GodAGrip.

They're mostly cheek pads to increase cheek weld.

I doubt if sorbothane will work as felt replacement 'cuz it's not porous enough, but I could be wrong though.

There was an Airgun Nation guy who mentioned something about neoprene being the best.

Drdan

I just Googled "Sorbothane" and "muzzle brake" and found the information below.  I did not make an in depth search, but it may be effective for a moderator.  I examined my Sorbothane insoles and the material is denser than Neoprene.  I know that on e-Bay you can purchase sheets of it in various sizes and thicknesses of about 1/8" or 3.75 mm.  I'm sure thinner sheets are available.

I remain intrigued about its use in a muzzle brake, and will probably get a DonnyFL Sumo unless I read a review that rates another serviceable muzzle brake higher...  I'd also experiment with OOOO steel wool, brass wool, and other materials.

Drdan

Here's the model of Sorbothane insoles I've been using for years.  I recommend the CUSH N STEP version. Your feet and entire skeletal system will thank you.   :-*