Optics Selection Opinions for 2300S & T

Started by flairgunner77, December 16, 2023, 05:24:35 PM

flairgunner77

Both my Crosman 2300 pistols got new 2 stage grip frames and grips for Christmas and I'm looking for advice on a new optic for each. I have 2 older BugBuster 6x32 mini AO scopes that were on a Crosman 1077 and Daisy 853,  but don't know anything about eye relief so wonder if that scope would be suitable and, if so, would appreciate a suggestion on rings and height.  I've also got 7 red dots that include Crosman and Daisy cheapies, a BSA RD 30, a UTG Reflex Micro Dot, recently a Hawkeye Reflex (from Buck-Rail).

Always get great guidance on this forum so all suggestion welcome

Happy Holidays - Dave B

Drdan

I have yet to receive my 2300S, and unfortunately it won't be completely set up until after XMAS.  I have been told that the iron sights on the pistol are excellent so I'm on the fence about scopes.  Many airgunners like the BugBuster or other scopes, and probably an equal number like to shoot with the iron sights. 

What distance are you typically shooting?  I'm thinking of getting a Leupold FX-2 4X28mm if the iron sights aren't to my liking.

crossliner

I put a Vortex on mine

One of my 22xx carbines in Asia sports a Burris.

Drdan

Thanks Mr. Enabler.  ;D  What goodies did you modify your 2300S with? Everything is perfectly balanced with nice contrsting colors.

crossliner

My 22xx parts are from Don Cothran, sir.

Furniture is from Vernon.

Picatinny rail is from Tactical Innovations in Forest Green (NLA though in anodized versions only Cerakoted).

Drdan

That's a beautiful pistol there.  Crosman's Custom Shop should consult with you before releasing any new models!  :-*

flairgunner77

Drdan, I  normally plink at 10m but, since I'll turn 79 next month, the eyes aren't what they used to be. That little Leupold looks like a great scope but sadly too rich for my budget. I'd love to use the bugbuster but am worried about eye relief. I have a 2240 Backpacker with a 14.5 barrel and rear stock that can wear the bugbuster well.  It's had a red dot before.

Drdan

Hi flairgunner77.  The BugBuster scopes are said to have a short eye relief.  I'm definitely not the guy to give advice as I've only had a H&K .308 with a fancy German brand scope.  Burris makes excellent fixed 4X20 and 2X20 scopes, and a nice 2-7X32 that would be a step up from a Bug Buster.  They are rugged, nitrogen filled and share most of the characteristics of the more pricey scopes, but with less quality glass. You can readily find used Burris scopes, and you might find a good source at a local gun shop.

I kind of like red/green dots, and had one on a Diana CO2 pistol.  It was a 2 MOA, and was great for my eyes for 10 meter paper shooting.  A larger MOA dot is super easy to see but would cover too much of the target to get an accurate shot. Smaller dots (i.e., 1 to 2.5 MOA) are generally used for precision shots at longer distances.

Maybe an optics whiz will chime in here and help you find the ideal scope for your needs.  You can also search the forum for more answers.   :-*

Drdan

Flairgunner77, I'm doing some research on optics right now, and found the following:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=27895.0

Hope you find this helpful in makeing a decision.

Drdan

From several different sources including the one above, it's recommended to get a low magnification fixed scope to reduce wobble.  My hands are rock steady but I need to consider whether I should stick with getting a 4X scope, or instead select a 2X or 2.5X one.

CraigH

I do not much like red dot sights.   But having retina disease, my vision is poor so I bought two of this sight from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AT3-Tactical-ARO-Micro-Sight/dp/B07V1PKLFC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SJGEO3FRVGQA&keywords=AT3%2Bred%2Bdot%2Bsight&qid=1702816034&sprefix=at3%2Bred%2Bdot%2Bsight%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1&th=1

And since most red dot sight are not dovetail mount, I am using an adapter which has a novel design that does not raise the sight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R8BFL6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are some complaints on this product, but the users apparently could not figure out how to use the device.

I thought I had an image of this mounted, but only see the bare pistols.  I will take a picture and post later.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

CraigH

Here is an image of the AT3 ARO mounted via the Higoo adapter.   Note how the sight is nearly at the dovetail level.   The sight has its rubber cover on.

I am using this combination as it was the lowest setup I could find.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

crossliner

Quote from: crossliner on December 16, 2023, 05:52:17 PM
I put a Vortex on mine

One of my 22xx carbines in Asia sports a Burris.

The one with the Burris.

The twin 2400KTs from the CCS were my 1st 22xx guns that imposed a lot of expenses when I imported them from the US to Asia  :-\

At the time of the photo, they were not reblued yet.

Drdan

Really nice kits there guys.  Thanks for posting.  :-*

flairgunner77

CraigH, really cool tube, mind sharing who made it? Thanks to all replies so far.  I've looked at the scopes and red dots mentioned and most are not in my budget for now.  I'm leaning towards a red/green dot - my UTG Reflex Microdot has never been right and I am working with UTG to get it fixed. I now know my bugbuster will have to go on a rifle.  Have been looking in Amazon at Hammers and BSA 2-7 scopes and like the hammers because they include rings. So it's still a work in progress and I read each post carefully. 

Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Dave B