Upgrading the 2300S's OEM trigger

Started by Drdan, December 22, 2023, 10:38:38 PM

Drdan

Several YouTube videos give tutorials on greatly improving the OEM rigger on several Crosman pistols, including the 2300S without getting the 1701p two stage trigger.  The airgun tech who will be upgrading my 2300S said he's been making mediocre triggers into great triggers for 15 years.

Has anyone used the "super sear" (read the reviewer's caveat), or any of Alchemy's triggers, including the polished "roller trigger",  I'd probably get the sear and a roller or other trigger, and have them adjusted to about a 400 gram pull and get them mirror polished while they're disassembled.  You've probably seen a few of the videos, and a single stage trigger with a tweaked adjustable sear might be a significant upgrade.

Drdan

I'll probably get the roller.  It's an ingenious design, and with it and the sear polished and adjusted, I'm sure it's as smooth as silk.   :)

crossliner

I have the Super Sear w/o the screw.

Have no idea why Steve, the maker, ceased making it.

Paired with a DC RT, it is a very sensitive single-stage with no slack.

Mine also sports a Mag Air Power trigger spring.

The triune makes my BR-type of shooting pleasurable.

CraigH

I have tuned a couple of base Crosman pistols to rival the P-Rod trigger (have some of them also).

I begin with 220 or 320 depending on the condition of the stock pieces and proceed to 400, 600, and 1000 working to a nice edge for a fine break.   Also use a much lighter spring from the Ace Hardware spring assortment boxes.

Also had one or two that just would not get to where I was satisfied.

Here is something below to ponder.   This mod removes the nature of the trigger spring to distort when operating the trigger.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

crossliner

Steve's Super Sear also needs to be shimmed on both sides.

Have no idea why it lacks girth  ???

Magnum Air Power stainless Super Sear + DC RT = so2x trigger feel, aka I'd-rather-stick-to-OEM-sear.

MAP's SS works fantastic in his all-metal Disco trigger assembly and in my Blue Fork triggers though.

Drdan

I'm sure that my airgun tech knows about all these Crosman trigger upgrades, but I may send him a video and a few links and drawings.  No, I'm not affected by the Dunning Kruger effect; I just want to assure that the technician has all the options available, and makes the best decision.  He already said that the 1701p trigger group is not needed.

The 2300S's trigger group is seen below.  I like the OEM's brass adjustable sping tension barrel and would like to keep it, albeit with an upgraded spring.  With a polished contoured sear and a reduced length insert (a .22 casing without the rim strike?), would this be an effective upgrade?  That roller trigger is definitely a very viable to the OEM trigger...

Thanks.   :)

CraigH

A nice bit of computer modding, Drdan.    :-*
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

Drdan

Quote from: CraigH on December 23, 2023, 01:59:36 PM
A nice bit of computer modding, Drdan.    :-*

;D  Where did you get that piece that was inserted in the spring?  Being that I want to keep the 2300's OEM setup, a much shorter piece should work, and allow me to arjust the spting tension.  My airgun tech will surely have a selection of upgraded springs.  I like the adjustable sear, and if my tech modifies it as per the reviewer's input it should be a sweet trigger.

crossliner

Quote from: Drdan on December 23, 2023, 07:59:24 AM
I'm sure that my airgun tech knows about all these Crosman trigger upgrades, but I may send him a video and a few links and drawings.  No, I'm not affected by the Dunning Kruger effect; I just want to assure that the technician has all the options available, and makes the best decision.  He already said that the 1701p trigger group is not needed.

The 2300S's trigger group is seen below.  I like the OEM's brass adjustable sping tension barrel and would like to keep it, albeit with an upgraded spring.  With a polished contoured sear and a reduced length insert (a .22 casing without the rim strike?), would this be an effective upgrade?  That roller trigger is definitely a very viable to the OEM trigger...

Thanks.   :)

Yeah, some cut their springs or change them to a softer one. I had that combo in the photo but gave away 2 of my adjustable brass posts.

Drdan

Hi crossliner.  Thnks for the link. I saw that post and i's pretty comprehensive.  I'm more for having work done as shown in my "computer schematic", and the airgun tech probably has worked on many similar mods in the last 15 years.  I want to include the OEM spring adjustment barrel in the upgraded trigger group.

BTW, I sanded the walnut handles with very fine sandpaper and then dyed them a dark brown with some leather dye.  I then used BOL and this is the first coat.  The photo is not very good, but they look great.  If they fit, then I am happy...

CraigH

Quote from: Drdan on December 23, 2023, 05:20:06 PM
;D  Where did you get that piece that was inserted in the spring?  Being that I want to keep the 2300's OEM setup, a much shorter piece should work, and allow me to arjust the spting tension.  My airgun tech will surely have a selection of upgraded springs.  I like the adjustable sear, and if my tech modifies it as per the reviewer's input it should be a sweet trigger.

It's a clevis pin - cut to appropriate length, and polish the head.   I have them in 1/4" and 3/16" - cannot at the moment recall which is the better fit.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

crossliner

Quote from: crossliner on December 22, 2023, 11:04:44 PM
I have the Super Sear w/o the screw.

Have no idea why Steve, the maker, ceased making it.

Paired with a DC RT, it is a very sensitive single-stage with no slack.

Mine also sports a Mag Air Power trigger spring.

The triune makes my BR-type of shooting pleasurable.

This one:

Drdan

I take back everything positive I said about those horrible walnut grips I posted yesterday.  I will try not to leave Turkey without two presentation blocks, preferable a bookend pair.  Thanks for being diplomatic, but they do look nice in the hand.   ;D