The best .177 pellets for a 2300S: Your personal experience

Started by Drdan, December 23, 2023, 09:24:51 PM

Drdan

As you can see, when I do a Google search for 4,5 (in the U.S. 4.5 mm. or .177) mm. pellet there is an OVERWHELMING selection.  I guess I can purchase a tin of each and experiment, but  that's not going to happen anytime soon.  :)  I'd like to ask those who already did so, and get the best choices from your experience if you'd be so kind to share the information.  Kindly place you best performers in three categories:  1. Target  2. Plinking  3. Pest control

Thank you!

Drdan

This is only a small % of what is available on the market.   :D

Brutuz

For paper targets RWS Meisterkugeln (pls learn to pronouce that correctly) and JSB flatheads

For plinking JSB Exact and JSB Exact Express

Pest control is prohibited in the Netherlands
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Drdan

Pest control is prohibited in Germany too.  I included that category knowing that many members of the forum hunt with their Crosmans.  The RWS Meisterkugeln pellet is avilable here, and for all I know might even be a German company.  I'll mostly be doing 10 meter indoors paper shooting, and want the best pellet for a job.  I need to make a nice wall mounted trap, kind of like your wine box trap.

Thanks for your answer Brutuz!   :-*

crossliner

I'm partial to JSB Diabolo pellets, and all my LW barrels like them.

4.52 H & N FTTs are also pretty good, but I only use them 'cuz I have a decent inventory of them.

Some people swear by RWS Meisterkugeln wads but have never tried them.

I will when I order pellets again  :-\

crossliner

Some people actually shoot RWS Ms out to 35 yards with good accuracy.

When I was still in the PI, I would use Hammerhead wad pellets, a local brand, to hunt rats with my Crosmans.

Wads are very effective  :-*

crossliner

There is no perfect answer to which pellet is the best though until you test them yourself.

I have transferred my twin 14.6" barrels to different platforms, i.e., multi-pump, C02, and PCP, and they differ in pellet choice when I do.

In low power PCP form, they perform best with 8.4 grain JSBs/AAs..10.34 grain ones are a 2nd.

In C02 and multi-pump, the heavier 10.34 is a laser  ???

Brutuz

Quote from: Drdan on December 23, 2023, 09:55:03 PM
Pest control is prohibited in Germany too.  I included that category knowing that many members of the forum hunt with their Crosmans.  The RWS Meisterkugeln pellet is avilable here, and for all I know might even be a German company.  I'll mostly be doing 10 meter indoors paper shooting, and want the best pellet for a job.  I need to make a nice wall mounted trap, kind of like your wine box trap.

Thanks for your answer Brutuz!   :-*

This is "my" airgun store in Germany: https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de/product_info.php/products_id/42629
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

T191032

RWS Meisterkuglens are a great place to start.  While I may favor the 8.2 grain, your airgun may favor the 7.0 grain.  RWS also offers the Hobby and Basic Wadcutters.  They can cover your target and plinking needs when you discover the "most accurate" in your particular model. 

As for the pest control, I can not speak there, but at closer range, the wadcutters in .22 caliber have been noted for their use.

Have a good day.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

JMJinNC

I use RWS Basics for setup and sighting, and RWS Hobby pellets for target practice/competition in my 2300S.

Inexpensive and pretty consistent.
John

Drdan

Thanks T191032 and JMJJinNC for your replies.  :)  At this point instead of doing lots of trial and error experiments, I need to purchase only several tins of pellets to determine what my 2300S shoots best with!  :-*