My 2289

Started by jdgjtr, January 08, 2024, 11:38:28 AM

jdgjtr

I had set aside $100.00 for improving my 2289. I got an aluminum breech and stainless steel roll pin from Alchemy Airwerks and a CVLife 4x32 scope from Amazon.
Yesterday, I installed the breech and it was easier than I thought it would be. I spread a towel on the kitchen table, laid out my tools and instructions and went to work. Taking the breech off was simple and putting the new one only took a few minutes. Then I installed the scope to see how it fit on the dovetails (which it did, perfectly). Then I noticed the transfer port lying on the towel. I took it apart, re-installed the transfer port and put it back together and tried to shoot it. No dice; seems like I didn't push the barrel back far enough to align with the transfer port. Take it apart again, line everything up, grabbed some pellets and it worked as advertised.
Today, I decided to install the stainless steel roll pin. After looking at it and taking the scope off, I realized that I should have started with the roll pin first. Actually, I should have taken the pumper handle off first, smoothed out the sharp edges, then the pin, then the breech, then the scope. I will know better with the 1322.
1322 and Drifter (so far)

CraigH

Much is learned by doing.    :)

Well done.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

Flex

Yup, that's a nice setup! I have a 2289 that I bought about 11yrs ago that I've modded in a similar fashion. It was called a "Backpacker" back then. Mine was part of what they called the DOOMSDAY Kit  8). The original Backpacker had a 14" barrel but the Doomsday version came with a 12" barrel, (allowing it to fit in the backpack that came with the kit) so one of my mods was to get a 14" barrel. I too, replaced the OEM plastic breech with a steel breech. Other than weight, are there additional advantages to the aluminum breech? I also mounted a cheapo Gamo 4x20TV scope.

I see that in addition to the scope, the OEM rear sight is still in place. It looks like it just might interfere with the view thru the rear aperture of the scope, perhaps not.

I never gave much thought to replacing the pump arm pivot roll pin but now my interest is piqued. I've made a couple from brass rod stock in the past and may do so again.

I also see that mounting a scope definitely makes pellet loading at least a bit more difficult. Many here feel that pain. I'm unsure exactly how to solve that problem other than a far forward mounted scope (aka extended eye relief).

Bottom line, as alluded to at the start, the current version of the 2289 makes for a great starting point for the usual upgrades as well as "glamming" the look!
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

KevinP

Sharp looking !  Now lets see a target !!  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York