Are there any upgrades to better balance a 2400 or 2300?

Started by Drdan, January 10, 2024, 07:19:36 AM

Drdan

I'll be using my 2300S for 5 and 10 meter target shooting and plinking, with and without a muzzle brake.  It would be great if there was an adjustable setup that would allow me to perfectly balance the pistol for more accuracy.  On the barrel itself a "donut of sorts" made of stainless steel or brass with a Delrin or nylon liner so as not to mar the barrel's surface would be an option, as would fixing an adjustable weight utilizing the grip frame's screw hole and the barrel band's screw hole. 

Is such an item available, or has anyone here made such a mod?

rangerfredbob

I think someone has a brass version of the muzzle brake for extra weight but making  your own would be simple with a drill and a set screw and a piece of brass. All you would need is a 1" diameter or so piece of brass, however long you thought would help, drill a 7/16" or 11mm (if I remember right you're overseas from the US) hole in it to slide over the barrel then drill a perpendicular hole for a set screw (if you used something somewhat large like 5mm you could use a BB to keep from marring the barrel) or use a nylon screw normally used in RC airplanes...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Drdan

Quote from: rangerfredbob on January 11, 2024, 04:29:45 AM
I think someone has a brass version of the muzzle brake for extra weight but making  your own would be simple with a drill and a set screw and a piece of brass. All you would need is a 1" diameter or so piece of brass, however long you thought would help, drill a 7/16" or 11mm (if I remember right you're overseas from the US) hole in it to slide over the barrel then drill a perpendicular hole for a set screw (if you used something somewhat large like 5mm you could use a BB to keep from marring the barrel) or use a nylon screw normally used in RC airplanes...

Good solution and thanks for the reply!   :)

JMJinNC

If balance in the hand is what you're after, you may want to consider adding weight inside the grip panels. I'd think that a brass muzzle weight will make the pistol nose-heavy.

JMJ
John

Drdan

Quote from: JMJinNC on January 11, 2024, 03:19:08 PM
If balance in the hand is what you're after, you may want to consider adding weight inside the grip panels. I'd think that a brass muzzle weight will make the pistol nose-heavy.

JMJ

You compete with your 2300S, so your advice is well noted.  I will not have the pistol in hand for maybe three months, but know that I will want to balance it, especially considering that   I will be using a muzzle brake.  I will enjoy experimenting  with an "inside the grip frame" solution.  I can take an accurate impression of the inner space and have 2 moulds made with kits available on e-Bay.   :-*

Drdan

I guess you could less elegantly add lead bb's to the compartment under the grip, and secure them with melted candle wax.  Keep adding them until the desired balance is achieved...

JMJinNC

Quote from: Drdan on January 11, 2024, 04:26:45 PM
You compete with your 2300S, so your advice is well noted.

Well, look at my scores and take my advice with a grain of salt.  ;)

FWIW - my 2300S has custom V. Austin wood target grips (large) and I swapped the muzzle brake for a short light-weight custom LDC to tame the already mild bark. I could not get used to the Williams notch sight, so ended up with a 30mm red dot. Not ideal, but suits my aging eyesight.

JMJ
John

RetatCDude

You can get a forearm from Buck Rail.
If that is nit enough weight you can put some lead inside the forearm.
The forearm on my PRod has several melted lead bullets to offset the weight of the shoulder stock.
This is the forearm I am speaking about.
It is on my 2240XL:
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Drdan

Nice!   :)  I was not aware that a forearm was available.  If there is demand, perhaps one of the woodworkers making Crosman grips can also make matching forearms...