UPDATE: Billet aluminum grip frame & two stage trigger group for many Crosmans

Started by Drdan, February 07, 2024, 06:46:31 AM

Drdan

2 Stage Trigger made in Georgia

I just received a couple of e-mails from George at airgunbuy.com after having had asked him if his two stage trigger group and billet aluminum grip frame is again in stock.  He said that it is not yet in stock, and that he is working to upgrade it at the present time.  I asked him if he could custom made the sear and trigger for me in stainless steel, and I'm paraphrasing his reply which is here:

"We are testing a new version of this trigger now and it will be made with improved sear shapes/shoulders etc.;  it will be a trigger with much better kinetics and a much more sporty look. I don't work with stainless steel.  Even if it's acceptable to make trigger in stainless steel, it's not so for the  sear, because stainless steel has poor sliding and increased friction characteristics, even if polished."

My airgun tech in Holland started polishing all the parts on my 2300S yesterday, and he'll be modding the OEM trigger group with mods as discussed on previous posts.  Having an aluminum billet grip frame and a much better two stage trigger is tempting, so I will probably order one when it's ready.  I'll probably ask him to custom make me a stainless steel or brass trigger as well.

It would be interesting to know if his former 2 stage trigger offering is better than the Crosman 1701p setup.  Does anyone have it and if so, how about posting a review?  If the new 2 stage setup is even better......... 

marflow

what do those go for something like 256.00 USD
now it is a nice setup but you would have to have very deep pockets to use it and even at half the price that i have seen it would take much soul searching to spend that kind of money

it does have 1 review and the reviewer state he has pinpoint accuracy because of the trigger too 150 yard and that is horse manure

Drdan

Quote from: marflow on February 08, 2024, 12:03:28 AMwhat do those go for something like 256.00 USD
now it is a nice setup but you would have to have very deep pockets to use it and even at half the price that i have seen it would take much soul searching to spend that kind of money

it does have 1 review and the reviewer state he has pinpoint accuracy because of the trigger too 150 yard and that is horse manure

I love the fact that the grip handle is made of billet aluminum and that it has a 2 stage trigger.  I didn't see the review and definitely am not gullible enough to beleve that the trigger will allow one to achieve pinpoint accuracy at 150 yards.  ;D  I did read on the website that one's shooting accuracy would improve by 80%, and I always wanted to be an Olympic champion, so...  ;)  If it's as good or better than the 1701p's trigger, I'm in... 

CraigH

An aside on Crosman triggers, if I may.

Most call the Crosman 2-stage trigger the "1701P" trigger.

But its part number is "2220-103"  Does that not mean it is the Benjamin Marauder Pistol, Model BP2200, trigger?   And so it is the PRod trigger.

Semantics, I suppose, the trigger is used on the PRod, 1701P, and 1720T PCP pistols, but Crosman part numbers historically are assigned by the model where the part is first used.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Drdan

For the sake of semantics, I will refer to this trigger as the Crosman 2 stage trigger part number 2220-103.   ;D  ;D  :-*

Drdan

I guess that we can generically refer to it just as the Crosman 2 stage trigger, which encompasses all the models it's installed in...  :)

marflow

yes the trigger assembly was used first on the Marauder starting in 2010 and then the 1701p in 2011
but the 2220 part number is hard to link to the Marauder
i always just say the 1720
the problem with the other trigger group is not how it works it is the absurd cost
there have few choices for the 2240 platform when it came to trigger groups
there was the Blue Fork but it used a plain old Crosman sear
you can do with what you can with a stock sear, i take off 1mm off the top it is 9.5mm so down to 8.5 and of course change the spring to as light as you want
there are spring guides for the sear spring and they need the spring changed, you have the super sear and the 1701p trigger group

if you want a target pistol buy a target pistol you could just as easily find a Tau 7 if you what to stay with CO2 or look on EGUN

Drdan

The airgunbuy.com billet aluminum grip frame and two stage trigger for about $250 is a significant upgrade to the 2300S's Zamak zinc alloy grip frame, and along with a nice 2 stage trigger seems like a bargain. Merely having the aluminum frame merits the expense for me...

If I wanted an exceptional out of the box match pellet pistol I'd opt for a Morini, Feinwerkbau or Steyr, but I would not not have the option for many if any aftermarket upgrades. 

I will not be shooting competitively so I do not need an Olympic capable pistol, and will derive more enjoyment in purchasing a pretty accurate gun that I make fully mine with a bit of tweaking. Researching the upgrades, purchasing the parts, selecting the colors and finishes, etc., also makes the gestalt even more pleasurable.  :)   

CraigH

Good discussion.

I have been fortunate, or more likely lucky, to tune a few base Crosman triggers to quite excellent 1-pound triggers. Also some not as responsive to the efforts.

And I have 4 or 5 Crosman/Benjamin PRod, 1701P, 1720T triggers.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Being much more the Plinker/Pester, and not a good Pistolero, those cover my needs.

I wish I could shoot to the capabilities of premiere competition pistols.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Drdan

Quote from: CraigH on February 09, 2024, 01:35:50 PMI have been fortunate, or more likely lucky, to tune a few base Crosman triggers to quite excellent 1-pound triggers.

I asked Teun Meen at Metura Sheissport (Metura Shooting Sports) to tune my single stage trigger to 400 grams, which is about 9/10 of a pound.