Random Keyhole

Started by Dee Dub, April 10, 2024, 03:19:37 AM

Dee Dub

This little 1377 is exceeding my expectations as a cheap plinker, although I am getting a random pellet imbedded sideways (keyhole) in the plywood paper target backstop. Is this normal for this low budget pistol? So far, I'm shredding the tin cans, but that keyhole in the paper is like a dripping faucet in the back of my head.

Thanks in advance!

Die young, as late as possible.

DHunter

Is there more than just paper before the plywood?  I've seen the keyhole when the pellet goes through corrugated cardboard, as depending on where in hits in the corrugations, it will be made to tumble one direction or another.  The good accuracy however tells me it's not happening in flight before it reaches the target.  Even with my 1322 pistol with open sights, I can do 2" groups at 45 feet, and the limit seems to just be how steady I can hold it.

Dee Dub

Good question! The pellet could have passed through other media before embedding in the plywood. And now that I connect a couple weak brain cells, I believe powder rounds that have keyholed in the past showed the keyhole in the paper instead of the backstop.

Thanks for your help! :-*

rangerfredbob

Other causes could be nicks in the pellets from the breech screw recess or just dented pellets being unstable. But yes, the target would show the keyhole too, could just be hitting grain different in the plywood too, I've seen that before when shooting into wood before, didn't give it much thought...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Dee Dub

I just passed through your town yesterday. HA! I'll take a look at my breech screw hole. I am gentle when loading a pellet to ensure I don't warp the skirt of the pellet with the pin on the bolt.

I have noticed too that I'm getting less velocity with four pumps now that I've used a half a can of pellets. The pellets aren't imbedding into the plywood as often and the gun isn't shooting high on the lowest rear sight setting any more.   

rangerfredbob

A couple drops of oil on the piston cup might help, it's probably breaking in, some people get fancy on oil I just use air tool oil...

It's a small world, you must have been heading to the coast :)
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Dee Dub

Geeze, I did a light review of the manual when I took the air gun out of the box and just kept plinking. I'll give it a drop of oil.

Wish I was at the coast. I made a Southern California turn around to pick up a few items my brother's widow wanted out of the garage. One item is a Sheridan "Blue Streak" 5 m/m air rifle. Haven't looked up what it is yet or if parts are available. The rifle looks like it was in deferred maintenance.