Powdered Graphite for Pellets?

Started by rufusfring, January 18, 2011, 06:38:00 AM

rufusfring

Has anyone tried spritzing some powdered graphite in the pellet can and then rotating the can to coat the pellets? Seems like it might easy some surface friction. Have not tried it yet. Just looking for previous experience with the concept.

arkmaker †

Never tried it, but might work. would the mess be worth it?  ???
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Seems like adding graphite would make any pellet turn into some of those nasty Daisy pellets.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

Seems like alot of work,i think you need some friction in order to let the pellet spin in the rifeling if its to slipery and the pellet wont spin as good.But thats just me thinking.
                                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Gunhippie

Mike: Seat a pellet into the breech of your gun, then push it back out using a non-muzzle damaging tool--shish-kabob skewer or a piece of weed-whacker line--and take a close look. The lands of the rifling actually engage the pellet by embedding into the pellet head and skirt. A bit of graphite shouldn't affect this at tall, unless you use enough to fill the gullets of the rifling completely.

T191032

Quote from: rufusfring on January 18, 2011, 06:38:00 AM
Has anyone tried spritzing some powdered graphite in the pellet can and then rotating the can to coat the pellets? Seems like it might easy some surface friction. Have not tried it yet. Just looking for previous experience with the concept.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that some pellets are coated with graphite, at least those that tend to leave a residue [Crosman and Gamo come to mind] on the fingers.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

rufusfring

I am not thinking it would be a mess. Just the small tube as a test. Like the stuff that you blow into a finiky door lock on a car. Comes out areosol and powdered without and liquid or good. Just powder.

stitch

i haven't treid it on pellets.
but i use it to lube my hammer/striker works great :-*

quickster47 †

Quote from: stitch on January 19, 2011, 09:15:00 AM
But I use it to lube my hammer/striker works great :-*

Now there is an interesting idea.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

stitch

Quote from: quickster47 on January 19, 2011, 01:48:45 PM
Now there is an interesting idea.

Carl

i think it is a lot better than oil, because it is dry it doesn't dirt doesnt stick to it :-*

NorthStaR

Quote from: T191032 on January 19, 2011, 04:07:01 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that some pellets are coated with graphite, at least those that tend to leave a residue [Crosman and Gamo come to mind] on the fingers.

That could be the release they coat the mould with to stop the lead bonding to it. Or the pellet has gained powder/coating of sorts in processing and shipment?

Just a thought....  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

timo83

I think I will give this a try tomorrow. I have some of the aerosol graphite for locks. It works well as a metal on metal lubricant where you dont want dirt contaminating it.

I think it will work well.  :-*

Tim