Sick 2240 coming to papa

Started by mr007s, February 01, 2011, 01:20:26 AM

Oane

hmm pheasant! we made pork belly and pheasant sausages at work today! and those where a treat! damn I must have gotten the best job there is :) what did your ex do with the pheasant?

arkmaker †

I wish I had paid attention. It did take a long time though, like 5-6 hours for her to prepare. Her brother also made something I should have learned to do as well. We went hunting and camping one time and he shot about a dozen doves. That night he dressed and seasoned them. Then he dug up some clay and wrapped each one individually. Next he dug tunnels at an angle that went right under our campfire. Rolled the clay balls in and covered them up. In the morning I had the best breakfast I ever had! That was 25 years ago and I still remember it like yesterday. What I never caught was his seasoning. My ex's family is Micmac indian and always had simple ways to make things taste awesome!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Oane

if anything you just made me curios and hungry ;)

NorthStaR

Quote from: arkmaker on February 10, 2011, 09:57:23 PM
.......Then he dug up some clay and wrapped each one individually. Next he dug tunnels at an angle that went right under our campfire. Rolled the clay balls in and covered them up.
Rich
OT
Rich, do you get Ray Mears on TV on your side of the pond? He did a series, I think it was called Wild Britain.
Anywho, he does exactly the same style of cooking as what you described bar the seasoning... very cool.

Sorry returning thread to former topic and owner ........  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

arkmaker †

Quote from: NorthStaR on February 11, 2011, 02:38:04 PM
Sorry returning thread to former topic and owner ........  :-*

Yes, I apoligize 007. How is that sick puppy comming along?

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mr007s

No apology necessary, I like pheasant and quail too, and have been known to do my own cooking :P

As for the sick 2240, she is recovering very nicely. PA has back ordered my B-Square mount for the Hawke Red Dot. Soon as it arrives and gets mounted I plan to post a pic or two. The muzzle brake I mentioned is done and looks sweet on her. Stay tuned, pics will be posted of a revived young lady

quickster47 †

Quote from: mr007s on February 12, 2011, 02:11:01 AM
The muzzle brake I mentioned is done and looks sweet on her. Stay tuned, pics will be posted of a revived young lady

Could not find where you mentioned anything about a muzzle brake so give us some more information on it and what you have planned.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mr007s

Purchased a TAPCO - SKS Yugo Muzzle Brake for 10 bucks from Natchez. Adapted it to fit the 2240 barrel and added two set screws. Polished the outer diameter and left the recesses black. Adds a very nice look to the little darling.

Oane

Sorry for starting all this food talk, its just my biggest passion, although crosmans are creeping up.

glad to hear you sick baby i recovering, would love to see some pick if she is done.

mr007s

I have some numbers to share from this 2240. But first let me add that I wanted to post this in a different thread. After a lengthy search I gave up and came here. I know there is a thread to post your mods and the results. Maybe it was for the 1377, I can't remember. If there is a better place for this info I request this post be moved there so future viewers will have better access. With that said let me move along.

This 2240 wasn't chronyed by me when stock. I received it in an non-shootable condition.
It has the following light mods:

The barrel is stock and 7.5 inches long
Trigger spring swapped for a lighter one from Ace
Stock valve spring out, Ace spring in measuring .031" wire by 1.5 inch long
Valve exhaust port enlarged to .159" and ported on 18 degree angle
3 threads removed from valve end and recess milled out 1/4" deeper to increase volume
Extended probe from Don Cothran installed
Stock hammer spring replaced with a Discovery spring

Below is a chart of a three shot string of 10 shots each. Shot outside today, temp was mid 60's. Muzzle 3 feet back and shots fired as I casually loaded. no waiting between rounds. Pellets used were Crosman Premire Domed 14.3 grain.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the next few days I plan to switch over to a 10 inch barrel in .177. I will replace the light valve spring with a .039" x 1 inch long and add a SS transfer port of my own making.
Stock transfer port. I may add a HDD while I have it apart, undecided on this at the moment.

arkmaker †

So FPS dropped 35 over a 30 shot string? That doesn't seem to bad. I will be looking for the results with the 10" barrel. After looking at Carls data using the HDD I think you would get an increase in shot count and a longer flater curve.
RIch

mr007s

The 10 " barrel is .177 and I am going back to the stronger valve spring so I don't the results from that will have much in common with this report. I do have a 10 and a 12 inch barrel coming that can be tried also latter on for a comparassion. I am doing the two piece barrel mod for this shooter that has been discussed for the easy barrel change.

arkmaker †

I just finished crowning and polishing the loading port of a 10" .177 barrel today. I am making my 2240 into a 1740 (is that the correct terminology?) as well. I want to make this my monthly target competetion shooter, but the 7.5" barrel was way to loud for my backyard. I am hoping that this will quiet it down a hair along with the new LCD I am building to go with it. Also looking to trade my CB breech for a Crosman steel breech so that I can use the HDD and increase shot count.

All in all we are on the same path, sort of  :-* I don;t have a chrony yet, but it will have to wait as I have been made an offer I can't refuse and need to save cash to make it a reality..

Rich

Crosshairs

Sounds about right Rich or maybe a 2300  ??? 
                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

007 your numbers look good and what I would consider average for a 2240 in mostly stock condition.  I have heard that some folks get 450 fps out of a box-stock 2240 but they also never publish what pellet they are shooting or show their results.  Just the one or two numbers.  I guess 450 fps might be possible on a 90 degree spring day in Floriduh.

Two of my favorite target shooters are CCS 2300KTs (the basic 2240) that I converted to .177 with LW 10.1" barrels.  I now call them 1740s and think that is the correct nomenclature.  The one gun I ordered from the CCS with a 10.1" LW barrel was also called a 2300KT so that designation fails because it is a 2300KT whether it be .22 or .177.

I also installed a HDD on one of my target pistols and thus far I cannot say that I've seen a dramatic increase in the number of shots with it.  But it also has a lightened hammer and a few other things so maybe it doesn't help in that case.  I've heard from Steve that the HDDs do the best on modded 22XX guns.

Anyway, keep up the good work and post your updates for the next phase of this one.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †