Sick 2240 coming to papa

Started by mr007s, February 01, 2011, 01:20:26 AM

mr007s

Just purchased a sick 2240 from a young man on the GTA. He tried his hand at porting the valve and now has issues. Don't know what to expect, will arrive Wednesday. I have a spare stock Disco valve. Will either half interchange with the stock 2240 valve? If not, a call to Crosman may be needed unless he has transfer port problems, fingers crossed. I do believe he did some grinding where he shouldn't have.

arkmaker †

Good luck, but that sure is the good thing about these guns. Mess something up and it only cost a bit to fix it!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Make sure you let us know if there's anything or any parts we might can help you with.  Most of us have some spares that we can spare for a while.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mr007s

Quote from: quickster47 on February 01, 2011, 03:31:23 AM
Make sure you let us know if there's anything or any parts we might can help you with.  Most of us have some spares that we can spare for a while.

Carl

Will do, and thank you. If my Blue Fork trigger frame doesn't show soon I may rob the frame from this piece for my .25 cal project.

mr007s

Quote from: quickster47 on February 01, 2011, 03:31:23 AM

Carl

The sick little 2240 arrived and I began administering first aid.The transfer port rubber seal was on the bottom of the air tube in the spare tube hole. The 2240 is drilled and tapped in two locations for both new and old breech screw and has two holes underneath for the valve. The valve was fine and suffered no serious damage from the previous surgeon.

I carried the valve to work today along with a Discovery valve that had been ported by B&A. I placed it on a sine bar, stuck a .157 gauge pin in the hole and adjusted the bar until the pin was vertical. Looked to be 18 degrees. I removed the Disco valve, placed the 2240 valve in a vee-block perched on the sine bar, and chucked up a .157 end mill. After applying a dab of red Dykem around the existing hole the end mill was carefully eye balled  into position. After cutting the port I cleaned out the chips and any burrs and inspected with my loup. Everything looked super so operation one was a success. Off we go to the lathe for some volume increasing and Brass end cap making. 

Back at home all is reassembled and a powerlett is inserted. Now the moment of truth. With the Chrony in position the first Hobby pellet reaches 475 fps. This is the first pistol that I thought was loud, almost went for my ear plugs. maybe its the short barrel, 7.5 inch. I could see exhaust exit the muzzle.

All seems fine to me but I see a steel breech and longer barrel for it some where down the road. So, any of you have something like that collecting dust and don't want an arm and leg for, give a shout. This will be a fun little piece to plink around with but I don't think I can hit anything with it with the stock sight that it has now.

Anyone have Chrony numbers from a complete stock gun? Crosman list "up to 460 fps", which we all know is meaningless. With this one averaging 475-480 I think my valve job had to a helped, just don't know how much. I'm thinking around a 12 inche barrel would put it in the 525-500 range.

quickster47 †

Only thing I can say is that I love to keep a box stock 2240 around.  It sort of gives you a real appreciation for Crosman's best selling basic gun that can be modified to your heart's content.  And yes, that 7.5" barrel makes it loud and let's you know when she gets a shot off.

Keep it stock for awhile before you do any more mods.  Heck, you might end up like me and liking it that way.

Carl

Here is some data from my box stock 2240 shooting 14.3 grain CPDomed pellets.  This was a string of 50 shots.  I shot till the cartridge was drained. and that is the reason for the large SD.

FPS   FPE
Min =   166.00   0.88
Max =   392.00   4.88
Mean =   350.68   4.01
Median=   374.50   4.45
Mode=   373.00   4.42
Hi Lo Spread =   226.00   4.01
Std Deviation =   56.95   1.08

In Omnia Paratus

Rualert

Yes, as Carl stated they are loud in stock form. I have a 10" barrel, I cut and crowned, you may want to give it a better crown, but it shoots straight as is. PM me, and we will work out the details. Nice job on the valve by the way.

Casey

Brutuz

Quote from: mr007s on February 04, 2011, 02:12:43 AM

Anyone have Chrony numbers from a complete stock gun? Crosman list "up to 460 fps", which we all know is meaningless. With this one averaging 475-480 I think my valve job had to a helped, just don't know how much. I'm thinking around a 12 inche barrel would put it in the 525-500 range.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6jjGoWTrjo#ws]2 full strings using the standard Crosman probe[/url]

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

mr007s

Quote from: Rualert on February 04, 2011, 10:16:08 PM
   Yes, as Carl stated they are loud in stock form. I have a 10" barrel, I cut and crowned, you may want to give it a better crown, but it shoots straight as is. PM me, and we will work out the details. Nice job on the valve by the way.

Casey

Thanks for the offer Casey! With the troubles I had today I probably won't be doing any more work on the 2240 for a long time! I was thinking a 12" or 12 1/2" barrel but need to cool down some and think about it some more.

Rualert

No worries, just ping me if you decide that you need it. Who knows I may end up using it in yet another build too.  ;)

We never know with these fine Crosman pieces. We build one, customize it, change this, or that, have some left overs, then buy more parts, next thing you know, we are building yet another. and the addiction goes on and on....

:D :D :D :D

Casey

P.S. I have a large cache of parts on standby I'm getting ready to buy, haven't decided what I'm going to build next.

quickster47 †

Quote from: Rualert on February 09, 2011, 11:40:42 PM
We never know with these fine Crosman pieces. We build one, customize it, change this, or that, have some left overs, then buy more parts, next thing you know, we are building yet another. and the addiction goes on and on....

:D :D :D :D

Casey

P.S. I have a large cache of parts on standby I'm getting ready to buy, haven't decided what I'm going to build next.

As Casey sort of said, "You can never have too much memory, too much money, be too skinny, or have too many Crosman parts lying around in your spares box.  ;D ;D ;D

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Oane

Quote from: quickster47 on February 09, 2011, 11:58:39 PM
be too skinny

Carl

as a chef I cant say I am of the skinny persuasion, its a job thingy ;) for the rest I completely agree.

quickster47 †

Quote from: Oane on February 10, 2011, 08:45:22 AM
as a chef I cant say I am of the skinny persuasion, its a job thingy ;) for the rest I completely agree.

I really must agree with you on that one because what you cook I will definitely eat.  God did not make a food that I don't like.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Oane

God would wish he could eat the food I am cooking right now, its wild goose legs confit, slow boiled in its own fat for 10 hours until extremely tender :-\

arkmaker †

Quote from: Oane on February 10, 2011, 06:48:42 PM
God would wish he could eat the food I am cooking right now, its wild goose legs confit, slow boiled in its own fat for 10 hours until extremely tender :-\

Oh Baby!!! That goose sound great!  :-*  I miss hunting Pheasant. The only way to eat it is to hunt it and then of course you need a good cook. Can;t say much good about the exwife except that she was an excellent cook. Hell, I would weigh 400lbs by now if she had kept me around  ;D Man oh man, could she cook pheasant!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22