Whats wrong with this picture?

Started by ChokingVictim, February 28, 2011, 07:06:33 PM

62Falcon

At least there are a pair of glasses on the table. Given the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the picture was taken while dry firing and or prefiring the gun? Then somehow it made it into the final edit. Oops!

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

Mebits

You know, probably the ONLY time I'd bother with eye protection (other than my normal specs) is when I was shooting on a short, indoor range with a youngster.

Generally, there's a lot of hysteria about eye protection and air guns, but in this context there IS a real ricochet hazard.

NorthStaR

Amazing companies can slip up this way!  ;D

I ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I had a rebound shot (BSA 0.177 cadet rifle) as a kid hit me on the cheek (face cheek that is!) just below my eye  ;) - close call.
That was many moons ago now before safety was a subject. No mentor, no internet, no money or sense! Now everything's 'Health & Safety Crazy'! But specs are a must!

Firing an M9, the shells would rebound off the booth wall back at me hitting my face again! Kakked myself the first time!  ;D Specs on though! Phew!   :o
The shell casings were meant to bounce off the wall into a bin, in theory.  ???

Cheers  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

woody67

I've had them bounce back and hit me pretty much everywhere except my eyeballs. I've caught them in my nose, my cheeks, my forehead, my knees, my stomach, etc., but I just don't like shooting with glasses. None of the ones that hit me were going fast enough to even hurt, but I konw if I got hit directly in my eye it would be very bad.
I keep it an unbreakable solid rule that kids have to wear glasses anytime they're out with me, if they are shooting or if I am.

When adults are out with me I leave it up to them to wear glasses or not. Noone ever has though.
Watch, I'll wear glasses today just for shts and giggles and I'll end up with a shattered lens and 2 saved eyeballs just 'cause I said it!

1377x

i know i should wear safety google after i took a shot form a .22 rimfire ricochet directly to the eyeball
not much harm was done still have 20/20 vision luckily.
the only time i really use goggles is when i am working under cars :-[ i'm able to matrix move out of the way ricochet pellets :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
closed mouths dont get fed

NorthStaR

Quote from: 1377x on March 01, 2011, 03:36:54 PM
i know i should wear safety google after i took a shot form a .22 rimfire ricochet directly to the eyeball
not much harm was done still have 20/20 vision luckily.
the only time i really use goggles is when i am working under cars :-[ i'm able to matrix move out of the way ricochet pellets :P ;D ;D ;D ;D

WOW your very lucky with the rimfire ricochet!   ;)    You should do a matrix pellet dodge movie clip! LOL  ;D
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Mebits

Quote from: 1377x on March 01, 2011, 03:36:54 PM
:-[ i'm able to matrix move out of the way ricochet pellets :P ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was just thinking, "He moves like THEY do!"

:D

ChokingVictim

I agree not everyone wears them. However a company stressing on safety should take the precautions to reassure their course is safe. While eye injuries are rare with shooting, you only get 2 and it only takes one mistake by you or someone else to lose one.
"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

Mebits

I'm always wearing glasses to see but I wonder what the real dangers are. In a short range situation, it might be pretty fair. At longer ranges? I'm not so sure.

Let's say you're shooting lead at 20 yds. You've got to hit something that will cause a ricochet. That's going to absorb a lot of energy and deform the pellet which will now be tumbling.  If you are shooting with a mv of 600 fps, what's the speed at 20 yds? My calculator has it at 467 fps. On the trip back, assuming no loss of energy from tumbling and from impact at the ricochet point the pellet would be at about 365 fps. I think we can safely assume that the ricochet is going to steal at least 150fps and the tumble would take even more. Now you're under 200 fps, which is less than skin breaking speed.

I'm thinking that if you shoot lead at at least 20 yds, you've got little to worry about. If you're shooting bb's however, I'm thinking you want to wear glasses all the time. :O

NorthStaR

I guess for me shooting is currently close range and indoors so I must have protection.  :( or 8)

The BSA cadet (cheek shot) wasn't a close range shot and it was outdoors.
One in a million angle that returned it almost parallel to its outgoing trajectory!  :o
Literally hit my cheek resting against the stock of my shooting eye!  ;)
It didn't brake the skin but broke my indestructible attitude towards life.

The pellet may not be able to brake the skin but how about the impact with a ball of squishy jelly?  ;)
Plus it would depend on the pellet type, weight et cetera...

I remember a member said BB's can return faster than they go away?
Double-tap!

1377x

Quote from: Mebits on March 01, 2011, 04:21:25 PM
I'm always wearing glasses to see but I wonder what the real dangers are. In a short range situation, it might be pretty fair. At longer ranges? I'm not so sure.

Let's say you're shooting lead at 20 yds. You've got to hit something that will cause a ricochet. That's going to absorb a lot of energy and deform the pellet which will now be tumbling.  If you are shooting with a mv of 600 fps, what's the speed at 20 yds? My calculator has it at 467 fps. On the trip back, assuming no loss of energy from tumbling and from impact at the ricochet point the pellet would be at about 365 fps. I think we can safely assume that the ricochet is going to steal at least 150fps and the tumble would take even more. Now you're under 200 fps, which is less than skin breaking speed.

I'm thinking that if you shoot lead at at least 20 yds, you've got little to worry about. If you're shooting bb's however, I'm thinking you want to wear glasses all the time. :O
i dont think goggles could have helped him at any distance :(
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc#]Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet[/url]
closed mouths dont get fed

Mebits

Quote from: NorthStaR on March 01, 2011, 04:44:06 PM

The pellet may not be able to brake the skin but how about the impact with a ball of squishy jelly?  ;)
Plus it would depend on the pellet type, weight et cetera...

I remember a member said BB's can return faster than they go away?

We can calculate it pretty accurately, I think.

I'll agree with you that any pellet with enough energy to get back to your face is a pellet you don't want in your eye. I'm just saying that it'll be almost impossible to put an eye out with most guns and most pellets at ranges beyond 20 yds. BB's we can jsut plan on them coming back at us (which is why I haven't shot one in 35 years. ) :)

What speed were you shooting at and what range?

eric

shoot at golf balls and see what happens
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

woody67

He meant that sarcastically...don't really do that.