Whats wrong with this picture?

Started by ChokingVictim, February 28, 2011, 07:06:33 PM

Mebits

And use bb's. And make sure you have no insurance (Life, health, nor disability). And no eye protection.

</sarc>

Doh!

NorthStaR

Quote from: Mebits on March 01, 2011, 05:19:41 PM

We can calculate it pretty accurately, I think.

I'll agree with you that any pellet with enough energy to get back to your face is a pellet you don't want in your eye. I'm just saying that it'll be almost impossible to put an eye out with most guns and most pellets at ranges beyond 20 yds. BB's we can jsut plan on them coming back at us (which is why I haven't shot one in 35 years. ) :)

What speed were you shooting at and what range?

I was about 14 at the time.....20+ years ago..... so for speed I couldn't tell you but it was about 20 metres or so. This is purely a guess as it was many many moons ago. I don't doubt your math or logic but it was a freak incident that i learnt a lesson from tis all!  :-*

Just saying it could happen.  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Crosshairs

Its just so easy to put them on,so why would someone not do something so easy to save there eyes, thats what it all boils down to.And if Tom did not Care about has fellow shooters he would have not posted it.
                                       Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Mebits

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 02, 2011, 02:28:34 PM
Its just so easy to put them on,so why would someone not do something so easy to save there eyes, thats what it all boils down to.And if Tom did not Care about has fellow shooters he would have not posted it.
                                       Mike

I'm sure he was just trying to make a spectacle of us!  :D

The reasons for not wearing them are likely to be as follows:

#1 Forgot to bring them
#2 Don't like how they look/feel
#3 Can't see through them well in certain lighting (probably due to dust)
#4 Pain to keep clean/unscratched

I ran into these issues on a construction site.  I wore mine as often as I could, but I'd always be fighting with seeing through them in certain light and keeping the dust off/out of them. The benefit was, crap stayed out of my eyes. It was a great habit to have Bear in mind, mine were prescription safety glasses.

Today, unlike when I was young, you can get pretty good and good looking safety glasses for almost nothing. In amber, you're going to get better vision too. You can keep a couple new pairs around as back up, in case your primary gets scratched, sat on, or even dirty. If I didn't already wear glasses, I'd keep safety glasses around/on all the time.

ChokingVictim

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 02, 2011, 02:28:34 PM
And if Tom did not Care about has fellow shooters he would have not posted it.
                                       Mike

:-* :-*
"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

arkmaker †

I work in a machine shop and always wear then. Learned my lesson when I was younger. Had a jewelers screwdriver shatter and about a 1/4" long peice of the shaft stuck in the white oof my eye.  :-X

All better now, but that kind of hurt is still fresh in my memory. Yep, I like safety glasses!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Darth

I've had about 3 pieces of "stuff" drilled & picked out of my eyes over my lifetime.

I'm still real bad about wearing them, but I try ... especially when I'm grinding. Grinding has been the majority of my "eye incidents".

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

arkmaker †

I have a healthy respect for grinders!!! What I really hate is wire wheels!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

62Falcon

I worked in electro/mechanical assembly for a while and I worked with a number of handtools including grinders, sanders, saws, etc. One day I was deburring a metal enclosure for a sub-assembly with a round file. The file slipped and hit me right in my eye, glanced off and slid alongside. I was not hurt and no slivers were found or felt after a very thorough eye washing. I did not have on safety glasses. I was very fortunate and I learned a valuable lesson that day. Now I always wear safety glasses when called for. I like being able to see! An eye is a terrible thing to waste!

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

NorthStaR

Yup, I think apart from what is common sense regarding wearing specs it would seem to be the age old issue of humans.  ???

Until something happens to you it doesn't bother you. Its also like being told as a kid "Don't do that". Well what happens, you do, you get burnt and a lessons learnt.

I guess for me, I'm a Retoucher by trade and my eyes are my main tools so I'm gonna to protect them.  8)

no trade + no money = No more Crosman Fun  :(   If that doesn't sway you nothing will!  ;D

Cheers  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

woody67

I just almost caught a ricochet with my ear about 5 minutes ago. I was checking to make sure I sealed the transfer port in my 2240 since it slipped and was leaking air yesterday. I shot at a can on the ground about 20 feet in front of me, and ZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNGWWWWIIIIINNNNGGGGG - - -was all I heard as a Diablo Exact Jumbo Exact whizzed past my ear. I'm pretty sure I felt the air move from it, it was that close.... AND yes, it would have DESTROYED my eyeball if it had hit it. I'm positive, because the pellet kept going and hit a fence that was another 20 feet behind me.

Scary stuff.

NorthStaR

Lucky Woody67!  :D

SO you didn't have your ear muffs on?!  :o
Double-tap!

woody67

Hey, since so few people actually wear their safety glasses while they shoot, maybe one of you would like to donate your pair to me?
I don't have a pair...

gipper51

While I think wearing safety glasses is a good thing (and I do), I'm always PO'd by the reaction of some people who think you are a horrible person if you don't (I'm not calling out anybody here, just as a general overview).  The safety police, if you will.  That crap drives me insane.  In 20 years it will probably be a law to wear a full face helmet and body armor while operating your car, and whe world will look back at us in 2011 and think what careless cretens we were 'back then'.

I ride my bicycle around my town all the time and never wear a helmet, never have.  Over the years I've gotten comments from some of the 'serious cyclist' who ride in full spandex thinking they're Lance Armstrong.  I've got several several witty responses that tactfully say "F*** off and mind your business".   They're usually the same A-hole yuppies who finish riding their bicycle, put it on the rack of their luxury import SUV then are texting somebody while driving away...yes I've seen it happen.

NorthStaR

Just incase you meant me (paranoia!  :-[ ), please don't don't brand me as 'Safety Police'!   ;D
My remarks are just my opinions and nothing more.  :-*

At the end of the day all its down to is how much you value your sight!  8)

I generally judge something by "is the risk worth the reward".
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A Doctor Pepper moment!  :-*
Double-tap!