Crosman Bolt side question.

Started by Darth, March 11, 2011, 04:40:29 PM

Darth

Crosman Bolt side question.

The bolt, on a stock production breech, is on the right side.

Iââ,¬â,,¢m left handed and for me it feels perfectly natural. After I shoot, I continue to hold the pistol in my left hand, open the breech (with right hand) and insert a new pellet with my right hand.

I can see where a right handed person would get used to it with NO scope, but if you have a scope mounted ââ,¬Â¦ donââ,¬â,,¢t you have to reach around/over it ??

Iââ,¬â,,¢ve seen breeches with the bolt on the other side, Is this why ?

Darth
The Force Is With You Young Lead Slinger ... But You Are Not A Crosman Yet ...

http://kawasakitriples.myfastforum.org/index.php

tatsumi

it is, i carnt see how it can be done naturaly if not, imho of course

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

quickster47 †

I might be considered quite weird by some, and my wife definitely knows I'm weird, but I cock the gun with my right hand but have always used my left hand to insert pellets.  And that does present problems with some scopes, especially those with the large sidewheels used to adjust parallax.  I have tried and tried to use my right hand to insert pellets but just can't get the hang of it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

airguns100

I use my right hand to write, but i use both LH and RH style breech's.  ??? i wouldn't think it's a big deal.
The OG gangster of the "bling"

ChokingVictim

"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

zoned

I'm right handed and on pistols I like the bolt on the left side so I can maintain my grip with right hand and cock and load with the left. On rifles I like it on the right side.

Darth

I was just wondering because I started to fiddle around with holding it "right handed". Didn't seem correct for a right hander.

I know why they are made that way ... rifles.

ChokingVictim : Perhaps YOU are holding it wrong ??  ;)

Quote from: quickster47 on March 11, 2011, 06:39:15 PM
I cock the gun with my right hand but have always used my left hand to insert pellets.  
Carl

So Carl, you are switching hands back and forth ??

Quote from: zoned on March 11, 2011, 09:17:41 PM
I'm right handed and on pistols I like the bolt on the left side so I can maintain my grip with right hand and cock and load with the left. On rifles I like it on the right side.

Zoned ... I can understand that  :-*

NorthStaR

I think you find your own technique naturally in time. I load/cock a 2240 differently to a 2250b (partly due to some changes on my 2250!) but I guess I'm saying I adapt to whats most effective/comfortable/simple.

I'd like to try a left side breech cause I'm fairly ambidextrous. I load with my right shooting right handed on the 2250 and with either on the 2240 randomly. I think it also depends if I have a pellet pouch or a tin on the table. The (crosman  ;) ) pouch being on a belt to my right.

I suppose with a scope its just easier to see whats going on using my right shooting right handed. More stable.

Darth and Zoned mirror each others technique on pistols. Being right and left handed shooters.  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

ChokingVictim

Quote from: Darth on March 11, 2011, 09:18:52 PM
ChokingVictim : Perhaps YOU are holding it wrong ??  ;)

I had to throw the iphone thing in there. :)
"I'm gonna stay young until I die!" - 7 Seconds

eric

Quote from: zoned on March 11, 2011, 09:17:41 PM
exactly .if you shoot competitively you don't want to change your grip to load a pellet .consider it like a constant cheek weld for your shooting hand   ;)
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Darth

OK, lets just say ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically ââ,¬Â¦ Iââ,¬â,,¢ve developed a self-loading 6 shot breech adapter that automatically inserts the pellet just by cocking the gun. No rotating or anything.

And ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically, lets say ââ,¬Â¦ it works on any stock Crosman steel breech for 22 caliber only (at this point).

And ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically ââ,¬Â¦ it fits under a scope with standard height rings.

And perhaps can even be used with open sights ââ,¬Â¦

My REAL question is ââ,¬Â¦ how many of you right handers put the gun in your left hand to cock and load a pellet?

Darth

tatsumi

Quote from: Darth on March 21, 2011, 04:04:05 AM
OK, lets just say ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically ââ,¬Â¦ Iââ,¬â,,¢ve developed a self-loading 6 shot breech adapter that automatically inserts the pellet just by cocking the gun. No rotating or anything.

Expand? 8)

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

Tommie D

Just a Ten Pump Chump

NorthStaR

Quote from: Darth on March 21, 2011, 04:04:05 AM
And ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically, lets say ââ,¬Â¦ it works on any stock Crosman steel breech for 22 caliber only (at this point).
And ââ,¬Â¦ hypothetically ââ,¬Â¦ it fits under a scope with standard height rings.
And perhaps can even be used with open sights ââ,¬Â¦
My REAL question is ââ,¬Â¦ how many of you right handers put the gun in your left hand to cock and load a pellet?
Darth

Hypothetically, when can you start making me one?  ;)

One persons answer to your question; I generally don't swap to load, its too fumbley (if thats a word!).
It may depend on the breech being on a rifle or a pistol. Maybe even if I'm standing or prone too.
I generally stick with either left or right for that session but next time I may do it in reverse.
With a rifle I guess I can support it with the stock so I can load with my right and only hold the foregip
with my left (shooting right handed). With a pistol I don't have that support on offer.

Darth, If you do make a self loading 'Sith' breech, we can CRUSH THE REBEL SCUM!  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

quickster47 †

New thoughts on the bolt side of breechs.  As I mentioned in my review of the 1701P.

"This was also the first pistol Iââ,¬â,,¢ve used where the bolt handle on the pistol comes located on the left.  This is to aid right-handed shooters with reloading a pellet without losing their grip. Normally I prefer bolts on any gun on the right side, so if you are like me you will be happy with the intelligent design of this pistol.

And just let me say this, after using this pistol with the bolt on the left side it is going to be very difficult to go back to the way I thought was best.  I mean, Iââ,¬â,,¢m old and crotchety and stubborn but when I do see something that makes perfect sense, I can and will change."

So I'm going to be looking at getting a few new breechs with the cocking bolt on the left side.  And I know I don't have that many choices.  Sigh...

I will also be contacting Crosman engineering and ask them about rethinking their after-market breechs and offering them in left or right hand bolts.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †