88g CO2 cartridge problems :(

Started by Nate, March 13, 2011, 04:29:58 PM

Nate

i have been having more trouble with those cartridges... i have been finding ALOT of them that wont work, it seems like every other on ei buy wont rok in the gun. i am just wondering, i know there are some quality control issues with these, but i am just wonderig how common of a problem it is. i have tried taking a fine file very carefully to the rim of the seal where the welding joints are ust to see if that would help, but it didnt work at all. i am thinking if i get a dye and maybe clean up the threads it would work better?? anyone else having this many problems with this

quickster47 †

Nate I have about a dozen of the 88g AirSource cartridges yet to use but lately I've been using lots of 12g powerlets and HPA and haven't messed with the big guys much.  So what I'm saying is I wasn't having problems when I last used some but it has been a few months.

Would be interesting to see how using the dye would help or not.  I would also like to know where you would get that big dye.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mr007s

What is the thread size on one of those. We may have a die at work.

Nate

well it is a 16mm dye that is needed, and i plan to get one by getting my dad who works as a mechanic to order an individual die through his company. i went all over town looking for one but i could only find them in big sets of them that would run me about $150! so obviously that is out of the question.

mr007s

A thread repair die or "chase nut" as we call them, are available and would do what you want. Check out this link:http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-repair-dies/=bf3dhz

That price is for a M16x1.5 which I think is the correct one,
The .75 is a fine thread and is much more costly as is the M16x2

Nate

i got the die about 2-3 weeks ago and have fired atleast 4 carts in that time, and so far absolutly no problems what so ever. when i run the die down the threads you do feel alot of resisitance in soe places near the tip, so i think this will solve the problem. the only problem is that it cost about $120 canadian dollars !
luckily i got it through my dad through his job. you can buy these in kits of taps and dies at canadian tire and im sure plenty of other places

quickster47 †

Nate that is some good news on the die fixing your problem.

I have one on order from McMaster Carr.  Not that I use a lot of the 88g cartridges but I sure don't want to waste any of them

Good find.  :-* :-* :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I bought some off brand at Wally world for half what the AS carts cost. I have only loaded one, but theere were no leaks. I plan on refilling them per Bentong's advise, so I have atleast one good cart I can count on.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Nate

i never knew you could refil those  ???
thats pretty cool if you can though

Crosshairs

I think i will get me one 16mm die,nice job Nate. you think the price they charge for them they would work how they should.
                                                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Nate

i agree entirely, they sure are not cheap

NorthStaR

Nate, I can't remember what gun your 88g's are for. I use one of these instead (standard 88g thread):

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Umarex_850_CO2_Adapter/1136

That way I only buy one universal type of cart too. :-*

EDIT: Its obviously less gas too! :)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Nate

i use them in my crosman night stalker. i dont know if those adapters will work in it though  :(

NorthStaR

If its like my cx4 storm then it would need an extension on the stock or a hole cut and a rubber buttpad stuck on with a recess.
I can't remember who it was but it was a member on here. He ordered a second buttstock, cut and doubled them up.
The latter probably is the best way about it!

The real rifle they (umarex & crosman) are both based on has extension blocks available in the same way as the members mod.
Shame they won't fit these models!

Anyway, just a thought!
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....