New HB22 with Qaliaity Problems

Started by Heavy26R, March 15, 2011, 11:23:59 PM

Heavy26R

All,

Hello again and thank you for your time.  I've got a 1377 t0 1322 project going, but couldn't resist buying an HB22.  I received it new today from Amazon and the pump arm pin did not line up through the hole correctly.  One side of the pin pushed into the pump barrel and pushed it out instead of going through the appropriate hole.  I'd say half the hole has the pin through it, and the other half just pushed out the length the pin. In addition the stress caused the paint around the hole to flake off and the brass is exposed.  Obviously this was pounded through without care or done by a machine which just stressed the pin through the hole despite the obstruction.  

Now this is a minor flaw, but draws eye attention and is highly noticeable when the gun is looked over.  Would you return this gun?  I expect to keep this forever and pass on to my kids.  I'm thinking I will just paint over it to prevent additional flake/paint loss.  Perhaps I'm over exaggerating and the paint will flake off anyways.  Either way, I'm truly surprised a quality assurance lookover would not reject this gun.  Without hesitation I will be writing Crosman and posting bad feedback on Amazon.  Quality and severe flaws should not be expected for a hand assembled high priced model.  I think today's QA problems are a result of not enough people taking the time to write the company and complain.  As a forum junky, I will take the time to share my opinion and bad experiences.   

V/r,

Chris  

quickster47 †

Chris, I must agree with you about complaining to the manufacturers.  If anything is not right when I get something new I usually send an eMail to let them know and then write a review stating the facts.  Too many folks just shrug it off and in my opinion, that just leads to more shoddy products being produced.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Heavy26R

Carl,

Absolutely.  More people need to speak up and hold manufacturers accountable.  Now I have a product which I'm unhappy with.  I will speak poorly about when asked and or viewing forums about HB22 quality.  What if I decide to take it apart and or have it serviced.  Should the reassembly go bad due to the misaligned/damaged pin area the manufacturer might tell me it's damaged and I have to pay for a new pump barrel assembly.  Maybe I try to do my own servicing and can't get the pin aligned into the dent/hole properly.  Too many variables now.

I will surely write Crosman and see how they react.  In the meantime, Google crawlers are going to work and my comments will make their way into Google search results for "HB22 Quality".  Hopefully warning other potential buyers.

V/r,

Chris 

the old guy

I'll just throw my two cents worth in. One of the reasons I enjoy dealing with Amazon, is their policy towards customer satisfaction. It's okay to be understanding about mistakes made in manufacturing and assembly, but it's also okay to expect the product to be new and in good working condition. I would contact Amazon for replacement and I would write Crosman and share your opinion. If they never hear they have a quality control problem they'll never be able to fix it.

Lee
I may be getting old, but I can still whip anyone twice my age and half my heavy.

Heavy26R

Good points Lee.  I recently returned an item for the first time with Amazon and they quickly replaced the item.  In fact, they sent a replacement prior to receiving the other item back.  Excellent service! 

I submitted a replacement request for the HB22 tonight and indeed they processed it and are sending a replacement.  I will return the one with the bad pump arm pin.  I will write Crosman so they are informed of my experience.  I don't consider myself a hypercritical individual.  At the same time, I will always be unhappy with the gun in it's present state, and would worry if the pin might have potential problems in the future.  Thanks for comments and suggestions! 

V/r,

Chris   

quickster47 †

I too agree with the customer service provided by Amazon and that is why I've been using them since they started.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

I would with out a doubt return it,you work hard for your money and should get what you pay for, the maker of the guns should not be able to get away with things like this.
                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

62Falcon

Stuff happens and they cannot make every gun perfectly. By all means return it for an acceptable model. You did the right thing and kudos to you for your post about it.

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

Heavy26R

Very true Falcon.  Seeing them on Amazon is good indication that Crosman is doing well and selling a fair amount of HBs.  Holding it just made me more excited.  It feels heavy duty and durable.  I am in no way sorry about my decision to purchase the HB22.  I have no hard feelings towards Crosman.  I will push my money towards an American made product whenever possible.  I've had no problems with any of my 1377s.  I was just a little disappointed.  I hope my post will merely remind people to check their products over and report back to the manufacturer any problems.  A good distributor like Amazon helps with returns. 

V/r,

Chris     

Crosshairs

Not to be to hard on crosman i love the guns they make and will collect them till the day i die but they need to step up a little.i just returned a pro77 it was just junk for what crosman charged it shoot like a dream.i can see if the HB22 was only 40 to 60 bucks i can let a small problem go but for 133.00 bucks it should not need to be sent back.from what i can see here on the forum anyone here would never let something go to someone else that was not checked and checked again before sending it out.
                Mike

eric

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 16, 2011, 03:40:40 AM
Not to be to hard on crosman i love the guns they make and will collect them till the day i die but they need to step up a little.i just returned a pro77 it was just junk for what crosman charged it shoot like a dream.i can see if the HB22 was only 40 to 60 bucks i can let a small problem go but for 133.00 bucks it should not need to be sent back.from what i can see here on the forum anyone here would never let something go to someone else that was not checked and checked again before sending it out.
                Mike
you will have that problem as long as things are manufactured.be it cars or airguns .some of the highest quality airguns have problems straight from the manufacturer .sure, it shouldn't happen but it does.crosman isn't alone in that respect
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Crosshairs

Very true but you know what im getting at.
              Mike

Heavy26R

Quick update on my situation.  I received the second HB22 and it had more quality problems then the first.  The inside of the breech was severely worn, most of the black paint was worn off and the brass looked scratched/worn.  My original problem of poor pin alignment was this time in the pump arm.  Both pins were punched at an angle so that the wooden arm had chunks in the back side taken out when punched through the arm. 

I decided to keep the first HB22 I received.  When I service the gun and punch out the pin I'll hammer back the bent pump tube and properly align the pin prior to resetting.  The replacement shipped from a second address which makes me paranoid that replacements come from a refurbished item warehouse (maybe I'm just paranoid).  Most HB22 picks I see online show paint wear and brass showing so I'm not worried about the paint chipping.