The 1701P Silhouette PCP

Started by quickster47 †, March 21, 2011, 01:22:20 AM

quickster47 †

The 1701P Silhouette PCP

I signed up for the Traveling Crosman 1701P about a month ago and Friday night the big brown truck delivered it to my front doorstop.  For those unfamiliar with this program take a look at this thread for a few more details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1298319961/Traveling+Crosman+Show-----our+first+item+to+be+making+the+rounds----1701P+Silhouette+PCP

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I had already promised my lovely wife an evening out so the only thing I had time to do was unbox the gun and take a ââ,¬ËœQuickââ,¬â,,¢ peek.  Oh my gosh, is this one sweet air gun or what!  The gun exudes quality from front to back and feels very solid and comfortable in your hand.  And for me the balance was spot on. Clearly this is a major step-up for Crosman and I feel they do not want to blow the image of this gun in anyway.

Tough as it was I waited till the next morning before doing anything else with the 1701P.

The 1701P was designed, and is known, as a silhouette pistol and I just saw on March 7 that the IHMSA approved the Crosman Silhouette PCP pistol for silhouette shooting.

I do have several other high end 10 meter pistols and this gun, though less expensive, will shoot with the best of them Iââ,¬â,,¢m convinced.

I had already purchased a 20mm Konus Sight-Pro Atomic Electronic Red Dot Sight to use on my LD but I thought ââ,¬Å"What better time or place than right now to test this new sight on this new airgun."  It took me about 5 minutes to mount the red dot and another 15 minutes to get the device sighted in for some 10M shooting and the various ranges for chickens (10yds), pigs (12.5yds), turkeys (15yds), and rams (18yds).

The 10 meter shooting I did was using Vogel wadcutters and the silhouette shooting I did was using Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum pellets weighing in at 10.5 grains.  Average FPS with the wadcutters was 430 and average FPS with the CPUMs was 395.  Might not seem like it but there was plenty of energy with the Crosman pellets to knock down my chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams.  And what really helped was that with the Konus red dot sight it was easy to place the pellets right where you wanted them, most of the time.  I also shot a 20 pellet string of some Prometheus ThUnder Bolt 5 grain non lead pellets and had an average of 495 FPS.  Not a lot of energy but some terrific speed.  The maximum FPS I got was a whopping 507.2.

This was also the first pistol Iââ,¬â,,¢ve used where the bolt handle on the pistol comes located on the left.  This is to aid right-handed shooters with reloading a pellet without losing their grip. Normally I prefer bolts on any gun on the right side, so if you are like me you will be happy with the intelligent design of this pistol.  To switch sides is a five minute easy affair.  And although anyone can do it, Crosman recommends owners take their 1701P to a Crosman service center for this.

And just let me say this, after using this pistol with the bolt on the left side it is going to be very difficult to go back to the way I thought was best.  I mean, Iââ,¬â,,¢m old and crotchety and stubborn but when I do see something that makes perfect sense, I can and will change.

The last thing I did just for kicks was to replace the grips with one of my 1399 stocks with the SKS check riser and boy did that make for a swell shooting little carbine.

And finally, I canââ,¬â,,¢t wait for my own 1701P to arrive from Crosman.  This is going to be one fun gun for shooting and I look forward to having one of my very own.

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Now that's what I'm talki'n 'bout!!!!!!  :-*  :-\

I'm last on the list, so don;t break it!!!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

bdb12586

hold on to that thing till april so you can use it in the contest ;)

mr007s

Dang it Carl, quit showing me eye candy like that. Now I have to go and raise the limit on my credit card,,,,,,,,,,,,,again!

airguns100

Hey Carl. Is that trigger group comparable to the trigger group Darren offers? What's better in your imo?

edit. What group has a "lighter" pull?
The OG gangster of the "bling"

quickster47 †

Quote from: airguns100 on March 21, 2011, 02:21:00 AM
Hey Carl. Is that trigger group comparable to the trigger group Darren offers? What's better in your imo?

edit. What group has a "lighter" pull

The trigger group on the 1701P is the same as the new Marauder pistol and is absolutely one of thee best Crosman triggers to date. Even better than the Mark 1 trigger and better than the trigger Darren offers.

Problem is, the pieces parts are not available yet from Crosman.  And when they do become available they will only work in the new trigger frame because it has the places for the new pivot pins.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

airguns100

Quote from: quickster47 on March 21, 2011, 03:16:58 AM
The trigger group on the 1701P is the same as the new Marauder pistol and is absolutely one of thee best Crosman triggers to date. Even better than the Mark 1 trigger and better than the trigger Darren offers.

Problem is, the pieces parts are not available yet from Crosman.  And when they do become available they will only work in the new trigger frame because it has the places for the new pivot pins.

Carl

kool. you wouldn't happen to have a Lyman Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gauge laying around, would ya?  :P
edit. i like the various ways to fine tune the crosman trigger group.

quickster47 †

Quote from: airguns100 on March 21, 2011, 05:58:13 AM
kool. you wouldn't happen to have a Lyman Electronic Digital Trigger Pull Gauge laying around, would ya?  :P
edit. i like the various ways to fine tune the crosman trigger group.

Yes I do.  Have had one for about a year or so.  That's how I check all my trigger pulls.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

airguns100

Quote from: quickster47 on March 21, 2011, 12:21:11 PM
Yes I do.  Have had one for about a year or so.  That's how I check all my trigger pulls.

Carl

what trigger group is lighter?

the old guy

Wow that's some kind of gun and another one that I've never seen or heard of. Like I said before getting educated is sure a lot of fun. Be looking forward to your report. You know you shouldn't have signed up for the program, because now you'll just want one of your own LOL.

Lee
I may be getting old, but I can still whip anyone twice my age and half my heavy.

zoned

Excellent review Carl! Looks like a fine pistol indeed. Good balance, great trigger, great accuracy and looks nice. What more could you ask for?

tayloriand

Great review. Crosman have made a good gun into a great gun.
Improved trigger, grips and front sight with an excellent barrel and high shot count.
Just wish the 1701P would come to the UK at a realistic price.
Cheers
Ian
member of Dukinfield Air Gun Club
www.dukinfieldairgunclub.webeden.co.uk
Undercover 30 lanes up to 35 yards including 5 pistol lanes
Paper, knockdown targets, spinners, etc

62Falcon

Beautiful pistol! Drool drool! That red dot sight looks nice also. Me likes it a lot! Congrats!

~Falcon
Crosman 1377C - 1399 Stock - Barska 30mm RDS

1377x

congrats
thats some nice shooting
you could be a monthly menace withit
closed mouths dont get fed

Brutuz

My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well