What metal is a Mk1 and will it polish?

Started by AirArmsDavid, April 02, 2011, 06:43:33 PM

AirArmsDavid

:)

My Mk1 needs a new finish as the paint is flaking off. I'm fairly sure I'll paint it (with what...anyone?) but I'm wondering if it will polish up?
It seems to be made or some kind of alloy (mazak?) but I'm not sure how polishable it is. Has anyone tried polishing one or a Mk2 or another pistol made of the same stuff? Any photos???

I like original finishes, but I like shiny too!!

tatsumi

Try it, if it needs a little tlc anyway you carnt do wrong by giveing it a try. if it dont work out then you know what you need to do.

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

quickster47 †

I agree with what tatsumi said, since you are going to paint it anyways, go ahead and have a go at polishing it and see how you like the results.  The only problem with some of the potted metals or alloys is that they do not hold their shiny finish after a few weeks.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bdb12586

well I decided to strip down my hahn bb 45 revolver. Originally I was going to have it anodize but after I stripped it down and cleaned it there was a lot of micro pitting and a couple of pretty deep pits, so anodizing was out. Then I read on line a gunsmith painted an aluminum 22 riffle receiver  with high temp engine paint. So I just got done doing my gun the same way. I cleaned and sanded with 300 grit paper, primed with duplicolor high temp primer with ceramic. Then shot it with semi gloss high temp duplicolor engine paint with ceramic. I let it set up for about an hour then I baked it for 25min on 200 degreeââ,¬â,,¢s. Well this thing looks pretty damn good for a $12 dollar investment, not sure how it will hold up the can says 7 days to fully cure I did chip it putting it together but I put it together right after it cooled but itââ,¬â,,¢s mostly for show, at least till I find a better collector piece.

Crosshairs

I think the MK1 frame is cast dont think it will buff but like the guys say give it a shot you can only gain on this one.And if its to shinny use matte black paint.
                       Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

AirArmsDavid

Just thinking.... can't see why it wouldn't chrome or nickel plate?
Have to be copper plated first, then nickel, then chrome over.

Pin ends would need to be plated too, or whole pins and open up their holes a little.....Hmmm....

Maybe I'll just paint it!

;)

arkmaker †

My 357 has 3 fresh coats of Satin Black on it now. Still needs a few more thin coats, but it is looking good. Just regular Ace Hardware spray paint. Time will tell is I need to redo it or not....
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

Looking good Rich nice paint job.
                      Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!