RMOil

Started by rittah, May 13, 2011, 12:32:25 AM

rittah

Hi all, I just purchase a pumpmaster 764sb I figure my 2240 will keep in in tune with target practice and the rifle I will use for pest control. Is the RM Oil what I need for the pump seal to keep that nice, or can I use the pellgunoil I have?

arkmaker †

Don't know what RM oil is, but the pelgun oil will work just fine. If you go to an off brand, make sure it is "non detergent" oil.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

I use pellgunoil dont have any problems. :-*
                    Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

rittah

I saw that RM oil on the crosman site. thanks

Crosshairs

I think the RM oil is for spring guns a chamber oil.
                                Mike

Daysailer

Quote from: Crosshairs on May 13, 2011, 01:13:06 AM
I think the RM oil is for spring guns a chamber oil.
I think the need for chamber oil went out with the leather piston seals. 
Plastics seals dont need chamber oil,....unless you want 'desieling' for more power.  IIMO
Adjust the wind, we cannot.....Adjust our sails (or windage), we should.

T191032

From the Crosman site :

"RMCOIL
Keep your rifle like new with this lubricant specially created for Crosman spring air rifles. Never use regular pellgun oil for a spring air rifle"

It's not for the Co2 or Pumps.  For the pumps, it is recommended to use the Pellgunoil.

"I think the need for chamber oil went out with the leather piston seals. 
Plastics seals dont need chamber oil,....unless you want 'desieling' for more power.  IIMO"

The Mendoza line, which Crosman was the importer of some time back, was supposedly an "oil burner", and stated to use chamber oil in the manual of my RM.  I picked up some RWS chamber oil from the local Co-op which had a fella on hand who knew his airgun stuff (kinda where I learned a little bit, too).
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

rittah

Ok so the pell oil is ok

Quote from: T191032 on May 13, 2011, 05:41:35 AM
From the Crosman site :

"RMCOIL
Keep your rifle like new with this lubricant specially created for Crosman spring air rifles. Never use regular pellgun oil for a spring air rifle"

It's not for the Co2 or Pumps.  For the pumps, it is recommended to use the Pellgunoil.

"I think the need for chamber oil went out with the leather piston seals. 
Plastics seals dont need chamber oil,....unless you want 'desieling' for more power.  IIMO"

The Mendoza line, which Crosman was the importer of some time back, was supposedly an "oil burner", and stated to use chamber oil in the manual of my RM.  I picked up some RWS chamber oil from the local Co-op which had a fella on hand who knew his airgun stuff (kinda where I learned a little bit, too).

rittah

Hey is it ok to shoot zinc plated bbs by daisy in the pumpmaster 760 rifle?

Crosshairs

I never shoot BBs through a rifled barrel it will just ruin the barrel  :-*
                               Mike

HappyHunter

RM oil is a silicone based oil designed for springers only.Pellgun oil or non-detergent 30W oil for everything else.
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

ayerstg

QuoteRMCOIL
Keep your rifle like new with this lubricant specially created for Crosman spring air rifles. Never use regular pellgun oil for a spring air rifle

Roger that - unless it's a low velocity springer with a leather cup seal, in which case Pelgun Oil would be OK.

OK - most of the rest of my AGs are RWS springers with an original all-bronze Sheridan for good measure...  I'm working hard on expanding my Crosman collection...  Anyway, most experienced springer shooters are fanatics about lubes; I'm more in the zone of knowing the facts and making appropriate decisions based on those.  Pixie dust doesn't work too well for me in most situations involving metal, plastics, wood, and so forth.  I've got an impressive collection of all sorts of lubes in the gun room / metal shop and don't use any whacko snake oil miracle products.  Many are not specifically labeled (i.e. marketed) as gun lubes, which generally means I get a lot more for less $$$ - it pays to know what the ingredients are.  When I go afield, I strip down to something that is multi-purpose for the tasks at hand, but at home / range I use the best reasonably available products for each specific purpose.  Usually... And I blend some of my own stuff.  Ain't knowledge grand when you can actually use it?  Enough framework digression; back on topic -

RMCoil is 100% silicone oil.  I've got a pdf of the MSDS somewhere on one of these drives... Same as RWS Chamber Oil, Beeman Chamber Oil, SCUBA gear oil for o-rings... (so I'm told).  RWS "Chamber Oil" (silicone oil) is fairly high viscosity; don't have any RMCoil on hand so not sure, but imagine it is similar.  Could be anything from 10wt to 130 wt, but that's not the point.  On to what I've concluded after analyzing a lot of discussions on other forums + personal experiences:

If it's good (preferred) for o-rings on high pressure air (SCUBA) and good for synthetic springer seals (quite high impulse pressure)... I guess I can't see why it would be bad for a Crosman pumper or CO2 - other than the cost, of course.  Caveat: As best I have been able to determine by interpolation, it is generally NOT very good as a lubricant on heavily loaded metal-to-metal junctions.  So IMHO, don't use it on the pump pivot points or sears, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why Crosman would not recommend it over Pelgunoil for internals on pumpers, CO2, and some bits on PCPs.  Actually, I suspect they're simply silent on that use.  Aside - IIRC, RMCoil is the current nome-de-marketing for what Crosman used to label "Silcoil" or something like that.  Same stuff anyway - silicone oil.

Less expensive alternatives found as nearby as the plumbing aisle of a hardware store or an automotive parts store - read the labels closely, but 100% silicone oil is just that.  Go on-line and search outside the bounds of AG-Plumbing-Automotive and you can find it in about any viscosity you like in any quantity you like.  I seem to recall that model R/C car and boat folks use it for various things, and it has extremely good electrical properties as a dielectric.  It's the "active ingredient" in dielectric grease, brake piston seal grease, and so forth (the greases are just silicone oil with a thickener added).  If it's good for the rubber/synthetic seals on automotive brake systems...

Not knocking Pelgunoil, which is pretty much an ordinary non-detergent lubricating oil of fairly low to middlin' viscosity. Dunno if it has anything other than dye in it (IIRC it's reddish in color, isn't it?) and have not been able to get my hands on the MSDS yet, so not 100% on that, but it's for sure a petroleum based oil.  I'll pick some up and take a guess at viscosity (was going to do that anyway) - various folks have tossed all kinds of guesses out, so I'd prefer my own SWAG. Based on a long-ago recollection of a tube of it I had around, I suspect it is thinner (less viscosity) than the guesses I've read.

As for dieseling - that's purely a springer phenomenon.  Ain't gonna happen with a pumper unless you're Superman.  Possibly a single-stroke match pumper, but IDK what the actual compression ratio is on those and they're too dang expensive for me to buy one just to find out.  And a hydrocarbon oil like Pelgunoil WILL diesel in the compression chamber of medium to high power springers.  Silicone oil is less prone to that (higher ignition temperature), although all but two of my springers will diesel on silicone as well.

Back to simple, though - Crosman sells Pelgunoil and tells us how to use it on pumpers and CO2.  It works great for the uses they stipulate.  They're silent AFAIK about using RMoil but personally I would not hesitate to use RMoil on the pump cup, valves, bolt o-rings, etc.  I would NOT use RMoil to lube pivot points unless I had nothing else.

HTH.

Tom

Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

eric

i think your ok shooting BBs thru your 760 unless it is a first variant --- the current ones  are smooth bore
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

rittah

Thanks for the info on the oil Tom. Mike this barrel on the 760 isn't rifled. But wanted to see what others thought about the bbs. At least I think that is what I was told.