1701P arrived today

Started by bobdubois, May 20, 2011, 05:55:59 AM

bobdubois

I'm a happy camper!

I mounted the Williams notch site and the RB grips (after a bit of sanding on the inside of the right grip to allow it to clear the trigger weight adjuster) from my 1077 and punched a few holes in some 10 meter airgun targets with CPLs to make sure it shoots. It does. Since I'm far from being  an accomplished pistol shooter and wanted to see just how consistent this gun is, I set up a rest and mounted a cheapo tru-glo red dot scope. After a few rounds to zero the scope at 10 meters, it punched 9 out of then pellets into a single ragged hole inside the 10 ring. The tenth one was mostly in the nine but was touching the ten. (Chances are nine out of ten that it was caused by the shooter not the barrel). The left handed bolt which allows the shooter to maintain their grip, is a big plus as far as I'm concerned and the action is as smooth as silk. It's much better than the bolt on my Challenger 2009, closer in feel to the M-rod's but even smoother. The trigger pull is about where I want it (I did adjust it down a bit while I had the grips off). Sight picture with the Williams in back and the front sight as it came from the factory (in the narrow position) work together well, but I'd prefer a bit wider front sight. I suppose I could better accommodate my aging eyes by filing the notch on the Williams a bit and turning the front sight to a wider position. As with the Challenger 2009, the loading port is generously sized easily accommodating my relatively large fingers. All in all, I think the 1701P is a well made, accurate and good looking gun(at least with wood grips). I can't compare it to a high end ten meter target gun but I'd say the quality and accuracy are up there with the best in its class. I think it's the target pistol equivalent of the Challenger 2009 but has the advantage of readily available after-market grips which improve both the aesthetics and  functionality.

I didn't have a chance to run it through the Crony or even run down the fill very far. If the incessant rain keeps coming down, I may have a chance to do so over the weekend. If that's the case, I'll post and update.

Shoot straight and have fun.

Bob

woody67

Nice purchase.... enjoy that thing!

quickster47 †

The front sight can be rotated to increase the width as seen from the rear sight.  That new front sight is one of the improvements from the previous model of this gun.

Oopps...

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

HandgunHTR

You do realize that this thread is worthless without pictures, don't you?   ;)

arkmaker †

New grips and no pics???? What in the Heck is wrong with this picture??? Oh yeah the lack of one!  ;D ;D ;D

Pics needed, I'm jonesing here!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

Quote from: HandgunHTR on May 21, 2011, 03:43:12 AM
You do realize that this thread is worthless without pictures, don't you?   ;)
X1  :-*
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

packrat

This  " may"
have been mentioned earlier,,,,if not let me just say this....

edited to correct spelling

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.

quickster47 †

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †