breech

Started by bauercrew, May 23, 2011, 06:46:42 PM

bauercrew

well guys i got my steel breech installed and i was so wooried that this was going to be a nightmare :-[ piece of cake,one thing for sure there seems to be no more barrel movement with this thing on ,now just waiting for the stock and scope,also been trying to find 14inch barrel for this in 177 cal but they seem to have dryed up no one has them,so i guess ill keep stock look,would def like to try a lighter trigger spring

ayerstg

Quotebeen trying to find 14inch barrel for this in 177 cal

Call Crosman and order a 24" - p/n 1760-001 - and cut / crown yourself.
Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

bauercrew

sorry to sound stupid but how would i cut it down and crown it my self??

ayerstg

NOT stupid - good question!

Plenty of explanations here (search) but I'll take a quick and dirty over view for you:

If you have a lathe you can cut and face and crown with that; we'll skip over the details for now.

Make a a good guideline around the barrel at the point you want to cut.  Two methods (there are more): 

1) use a bit of paper or cardstock and wrap tightly around the barrel - you want the top and bottom edges of the wrapping to overlap and be true.  Mark barrel along that edge (the one that's at your desired length - you can slide the wrapping up and down easily - use a bit of tape to be your 3rd & 4th hands).  Just like marking the body tube on a model rocket, if you've ever done that.

2) Use an appropriately sized tubing cutter (pipe cutter) to lightly score a line around the outside of the barrel.  Lightly... it's just a guide mark.

Cut the barrel off with a hacksaw (I'm skipping all the details about not marring or crushing the tube in the vise - you can figure that out.  Also some folks push a slug or pellet up the bore to just about where the cut will be - details elsewhere this forum)

File cut end flat and true - check with your previously made marking tube if you did it that way or eyeball it

Crown to taste - using an electric drill chucking a round top brass screw with grinding compound (like Clovers valve lapping compound) seems to be popular, with some opting to make rough profile using an appropriately sized and shape small grinding stone in a Dremel, die grinder, whatever.  I use a piloted facing and crowning tool I bought for some projects sons and I did a few years ago.  I was SHOCKED at the cost today for a 177 pilot - guess who is going to turn his own 177 pilot on the lathe?  If I did not have the tool already... I would be HUGE fan of the Dremel-die grinder-brass screw method!

Anyway, search a bit here and it should make sense to you.
Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

packrat

There ya go !!!! it's really easy to shorten a barrel and re-crown it...The instructions in that las post should serve you well ;) ;)  As was mentioned, using the "SEARCH" feature will turn up all sorts of good info.....experiment with different search words/phrases, sometimes that helps turn up lots more info.
  Anyhow, just follow the instructions. sounds to me like it would give you a nice outcome!!

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.