The VERY important trigger spring

Started by SaiCo, May 26, 2011, 10:45:08 AM

SaiCo

My 1377 was having problems with horizontal stringing. I also have a 2240 that is deadly accurate. I was wondering why I couldn't hit anything with my 1377. So I started looking at the differences (besides power plant) when I noticed the 2240 had a lighter trigger pull, EUREKA! A simple spring swap, and now my groups are ALOT tighter. If you are going to modify a crosman pistol, the very first thing should be a trigger job. I had to learn that the hard way, paying for it with frustration.
Now it's my "walking around" gun, because it fits neatly in a messenger type bag.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

bdb12586

you got that right. all the difference in the world

quickster47 †

And lightly polishing the sear and a couple of shims on the sear and trigger make it that much better for a few minutes of work.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

T191032

Was the first modification I ever did to my 1377 pistol, besides adjusting the sights to POA/POI as best I could.  Used the "screwdriver compression tip" I'd found over on the "Green Forum" to do it - screwdriver, two washers, slip a washer over the screwdriver, then the spring, then the other washer and compress the spring.  Made a heck of a difference.  Then, I got the A. C. spring/follower set to replace it.  LOL
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

DIAMOND

Yep, you are right on.  A lighter spring, or compress the stock spring like I did.  It really helps sweeten the trigger pull.
[ IMG]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/gungadin777/1377satinframeandsights12_cropped.jpg[/img]
Crosman 1377
Crosman 140 - .22 rifle, Dec. 1955
Crosman G1 Extreme - .177 rifle
Crosman 1600 - semi-auto bb

T191032

"Now it's my "walking around" gun, because it fits neatly in a messenger type bag."

There's another handy way of carrying an airgun I am not sure I've seen mentioned here yet.  :-*
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

tatsumi

i use the stock 2240 hammer springs in my triggers, you feel it still but not enugh to more your aim. might pick one up at Gmacs next time i order though to give that try.

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

arkmaker †

I just compressed mine on the 2240 and man, what a difference. I now know why there is such a thing as two stage triggers......so you'll know it's gonna break!!!!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

packrat

YEP--it does make a difference..I believe it's called "setting the spring", IIRC.....Bob, ( Crosman GURU) ;) told me about that a long time ago...It's the first thing I did to my new TalonSS when I started re-working the trigger..it has FOUR springs to the trigger assy..and a whole bunch of levers/sears/stuff....Anyhow setting the springs is good !

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.

dropshot

I just rounded the sear a little bit today and now it is a hairpin trigger. Did the ol" slap the but real good before firing her and she stayed cocked. Put a round in her and surprised the bajeebers out of me. I did not have a different spring or else that would have been my solution.
I could not hit the broad side of a barn with my PC77 before I touched that sear now BAM hittin' barn.

arkmaker †

Quote from: dropshot on May 29, 2011, 01:09:10 AM
I could not hit the broad side of a barn with my PC77 before I touched that sear now BAM hittin' barn.

Sounds like me!!  ;D
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22