Newb trigger question. 2 stages?

Started by chinaboy, May 31, 2011, 03:24:27 AM

chinaboy

I'm still trying to learn about building a cool 1377 or 1322 for myself.  What is meant by a 2 stage trigger?  What is it and how does it function compared to any trigger on any airgun I ever used?  And what is a sear?  Thanks

dropshot

To sort of answer part of you question go to crosman.com look up the owners manuals and look through a parts list with an exploded view of a particular gun and you can learn alot about the workings of an air gun. :-*

quickster47 †

Why You Want a Two-Stage Trigger!

Most civilian rifle triggers are single stage.  When you place your finger on it and apply pressure, the trigger shouldn't move at all, until it "breaks" and the gun fires.  If it does move, it's called "take-up", and usually considered a Bad Thing.

Actually, what you label as "take-up" in the above paragraph is called creep, and trigger "creep" is what is considered a "Bad Thing."  Take-up is all together another phenomena.

So let's understand the differences between "take-up" and "creep."  Take-up is a wonderfully replicated feeling/action, found in 2 stage triggers, in preparation of firing, and creep is when you think you are trying to fire, but you just seem to keep pulling the trigger and it does not break cleanly.  Creep is found in both single and double stage triggers.

Now, why do those who have experienced a good 2 stage trigger want a 2 stage trigger?

First, gas guns require a far greater pull weight than bolt guns, to be safe/legal for competition.  So, when you must have a 4.5 lbs trigger, it's nice to split the weight between 2 stages, instead of one!

Second, many want a relatively heavy trigger for defense/law enforcement applications.

Third, there is a certain confidence in a 2 stage trigger.  You pull through the first stage, and when you get to the "stop", you know you are on the ragged edge, and any movement of the trigger will fire the rifle.  This is the way it is in a 2 stage match trigger.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

chinaboy

That makes sense.  Kind of like squeeze easily (stage one) and then a true point triggering the gun as the second stage.

But what is sear?

quickster47 †

In a firearm, the sear is the part of the trigger mechanism which holds the hammer or striker back until the correct amount of pressure has been applied to the trigger; at which point the hammer or striker is released to discharge the weapon.  The sear may be a separate part or can be a surface incorporated into the trigger.

The term 'sear' is sometimes incorrectly used to describe a complete trigger group.

Trigger sears are a key component for the trigger pull characteristics.  Larger sears create creep while shorter ones produce a crisp pull.  When a gunsmith does a 'trigger job' to improve the quality and release of a trigger pull, most often the work includes modifying the sear such as polishing it, lapping etc.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bdb12586

chinaboy

DVF

Thanks, I'd been wondering about 2 stage triggers too.