13xx scope opinions?

Started by Madkoifish, June 09, 2011, 10:33:49 AM

Madkoifish

Ok, I have my 1377 all set up and at a point where I am ready for the scope. The red dot I have been using needs to be returned to the gun I stole it off of.  It is a 177cal pumper, but I will soon have a 22 as well that will require optics of some sort.

I was originally looking at the bug buster, it has the zoom range I would like 3~9 and AO. The only issue I have with it is the complaints out there about fat reticle milldots. What I have seen it is about two times what my centerpoint mildot has for the fine lines. For distance shots this would obliterate the view on some targets, like HOSP. It is looking like all leapers ilum reticles are the same fat style. This is something I have been irritated with is getting an idea of what you see in the bloody scope. So many manu show some goofy graphic or show nothing at all. Makes it really hard to decide on a product or compare them.

Now for one of these guns is it really needed to have the AO? Asking since I see many of these modded guns with scopes with now AO adjustment.

Intended shooting would be as close as 20~25ft. Mostly I will be target shooting but also doing some phone line clearing. I was looking at the bug buster mostly due to it's ability to focus down. I am sure a 5yd~inf would do since my trail NP's centerline works under the 6x or so indoors. I do not really care about length of the scope.

What Im looking for is a 3X~anything above 9X. A decent eye relief. Lowish near distance focus. illuminated reticle (will be rat plinking as well) Thin reticle. Something that isn't going to cost more than the gun. IE no 100$+ scopes.

SO what features and brands do all of you recommend? and why?

quickster47 †

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Madkoifish

Quote from: quickster47 on June 09, 2011, 03:00:41 PM
BugBuster would be a great choice for your gun.

Carl

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Buster-3-9X32-Compact-Combat/dp/B0021TOPPY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1307624397&sr=8-5

Problem is the fat reticle. With what I have seen via videos and the amounts of complaints I think it would annoy me as well.  Good price on it though. Been watching the 1377s yoyo there all week. $44~56~54~53~48

eric

the bugbuster is a decent scope for the money --- if really serious about target shooting it might not be the best option.if casual target work then it would be fine --- the 4-16x40 IR AO centerpoint from walmart is a option for under 80 US dollars --- it has better eye relief than the bugbuster and a much thinner mil-dot reticle .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

Madkoifish

I will likely use this for shooting erasers, and other small things at distance and lots of paper. SO a finer reticle the better. I have looked at a few 120$ scopes and am wavering on those. Mostly due to not finding any views of the reticles.  I was looking at the swat scopes from utg/leapers the 30mm tubes but cannot get any judgement on the reticles.

it would really help if they would list some measurement for the reticle thickness and mill dai.

How good is the optics on that wallyworld centerpoint? The one that came with my trail NP has a tonne of pincusion in it.  I think that is one of the ones I had eyeballed at PA. oh gues not heh PA seems to have pulled it and a few others from the site.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-4-16x40mm-Scope/10248654

http://www.amazon.com/Centerpoint-Optics-Adventure-4-16x40-Shooting/dp/B001PO5QOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307667516&sr=8-2

yeah, lots of wingeing.

eric

for the price of the scope and the features it has they ar epretty decent scopes. the optics aren't great but they are clear --- i have a famous maker scope3-9x26 (crappy optics --- kinda like high end plastic for glass)a daisy 3-9x32(very good for 30 US dollars --- parallax is an issue for me with this scope though )2 CPs (very good for the money spent) and a tasco which has excellent glass

arkmaker †

If you have a Gander Mountain or an Academy Sports anywhere near you, it might be worth the trip as they have scopes out that you can pick up and look though. Gander has them mounted on rifle stocks! Not saying you have to buy there, but it sure is a good way to learn what exactly you want  :-*

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Joshua A

I have a leapers 2-7x32 on my 1322, and it works great for close and semi-long range. plus the longer eye relief is nice. optics are nice and clear. (nothing like a leupold or anything) but still a very decent scope, especially for the price paid. The reticle hasn't seemed thick to me at all, unless the illumination is turned all the way up, but i dont really use that anyway. It seems like a lot of people prefer fixed objective scopes for hunting and ao on target/plinking guns. I like Ao on all my guns though, no matter the desired use. The only gun I have a fixed objective on is my marlin .22 rimfire lol. I have been very happy with it so far. It has been a very nice and accurate scope. Leapers makes good quality scopes for the price.

J.Austin

Madkoifish

Quote from: arkmaker on June 10, 2011, 03:06:36 PM
If you have a Gander Mountain or an Academy Sports anywhere near you, it might be worth the trip as they have scopes out that you can pick up and look though. Gander has them mounted on rifle stocks! Not saying you have to buy there, but it sure is a good way to learn what exactly you want  :-*

Rich
Never heard of any of those. About all I got is big 5 and if I drive out far enough I might find a wallmart or sports auth with scopes.  At wally all the sub 200$+ ones are in blister packs. Sports auth often have 1 or 2 low quality scopes.

Got some gun stores but it is all tacticool fake holodots or so so quality stuff to the high dollar wannabe sniper stuff that starts at $500. Seems everyone around here wants a pistol to blow ppl away with or AR stuff full of green lazorz or high power flashlights.

An example of what I would find acceptable is the reticle in the centerpoint I got with my trail NP. (not sure if that helps.) Only complaint is it does lack in the mildot area. Only 3 per side of the cross, and they are more like dashes. Only twice have I needed more "dots" due to wind and distance.

I might just go for that one at wallyworld. Just have it site to stored, then if I hate it it can go back. Though 3$ more and I can get the one in a box with some screwy bipod stick thing vs clam packed kicked about in store.

And yeah, the IR I would likely only use the lowest settings at night or near dusk. Daytime or indoors it would be off.

eric

centerpoint 4-16x40 mol-dot reticle

Madkoifish

ah cool I didn't even think of shooting a example of the trail scope. I like what Im seeing there. Probably order this evening or Monday morning.

Here is the trail NP's reticle for the heck of it.

Joshua A

that CP 4-16x40 is a darn good scope. I own both of those scopes above (and a trail np for that matter lol) both are pretty good, but the 4-16 one is really a great scope for the price. you can't go wrong there..

J.Austin

Rualert

I have to agree with Eric, and Josh on the CP 4-16X40 AO IR from Wally World. I have two, one on my 2250 XT HPA gun, and the other on my Talon. I can consistently shoot 10 under a dime at 25 yards all day, and at longer distances, I actually use the AO to help judge the actual range, and then count the proper number of mildots. Like they both stated, you really can't go wrong with that one, only thing I would add to it would be a sunshade, not sure if Pyramid, or Cheaper than Dirt has them, but I will be picking up two for mine. Only reason, when shooting into the sun, not directly obviously, there is a bit of glare, but otherwise, just a very good scope, for not a lot of cash. Little heavier than some higher priced units, but meets all your criteria.

Just my 2 cents, and ramblings,

Casey

Omalon

I have been very happy with my Leapers 3x9 32AO on my IZH-46M

Madkoifish

Quote from: Rualert on June 10, 2011, 07:10:20 PM
   I have to agree with Eric, and Josh on the CP 4-16X40 AO IR from Wally World. I have two, one on my 2250 XT HPA gun, and the other on my Talon. I can consistently shoot 10 under a dime at 25 yards all day, and at longer distances, I actually use the AO to help judge the actual range, and then count the proper number of mildots. Like they both stated, you really can't go wrong with that one, only thing I would add to it would be a sunshade, not sure if Pyramid, or Cheaper than Dirt has them, but I will be picking up two for mine. Only reason, when shooting into the sun, not directly obviously, there is a bit of glare, but otherwise, just a very good scope, for not a lot of cash. Little heavier than some higher priced units, but meets all your criteria.

Just my 2 cents, and ramblings,

Casey

They sell a 3" shade for it, sold out atm, not sure if PA has them. If these follow photographic optics any 40mm ring should screw on. Really tempted to see if I can get nd filters and a circular polarizer for these things. Protect the main lens and have some control of glare.
http://centerpoint.crosman.com/accessories/CPA416SUN