Noob question about leaving 1377 charged.

Started by ShadowLurker, June 14, 2011, 08:23:06 PM

ShadowLurker

I use my 1377 for pest control when I'm at the cabin. It's not modded on the inside yet. I like to pump it up 8-10 times and set it next to the window. Periodically I look out and see a target sitting there. I don't usually leave it charged more than one hour. My question is, how long can I leave a 1377 pumped/charged without causing damage to it? Also, at what rate (roughly) do I lose fps at the muzzle when I finally do fire it? I don't have a chrony, but that will be one of my first tests when I buy one.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer using the search function. I know it's a no-no for spring guns (or so I've heard), but my reasoning leads me to believe a pump gun should be OK for a while. ???

Crosshairs

Will not sure if there is a time limit but i have left it pumped for days with out a problem but im not saying it's ok.
                                              Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

tom

Mine's on ready-alert right now...pumped her up Sunday night...I've got the Starlings so frightened, it takes days for them to get up enough nerve to come by...
Tom

arkmaker †

Common practice is to leave 1 or 2 pumps in it for storage. Don't know about 8-10, but the great thing about a 13xx gun is that anything that goes wrong can be fixed fairly easily, so I'd go with you are ok unless there are kids in the house
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

i leave mine charged for a few days at a time if no targets present it's self.been doing theat for a couple of years now,so far no problems.do store it with at least 1-2 pumps.
do not store it cocked for long periods ,it will weaken your hammer spring
closed mouths dont get fed

NorthStaR

It seems a little divided. Some say it helps and some say it will deform the seal(s).
I think it is the short versus long term and how well the seals are lubricated.

Leaving a bit of pressure in the valve will however keep the valve seal shut and stop any crud/moisture from entering which
is often why pressurized valve devices are left with a minimum pressure. Valves can also get stuck open if crud gets in when
repressurized after.

Either way I wouldn't leave it cocked or/and loaded. Kids or not, an eye or crutch shot could be a tad paintful!  ;D

Possibly watch for moisture on the window area. Not literally, that would be boring! You just don't want a rusty pistola!  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Crosshairs

I think it's a good question one we all have most likely asked but never seem to get a real answer.But as Rich had mentioned they are very easy to work on so keep it pumped up all you want.SAFETY FIRST not loaded.
                                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

I believe Crosman actually recommends against leaving any of their guns with a charge in them but I personally believe this has more to do with legal reasons and liability.  Tim at Mac 1 and most other gunsmiths suggest leaving a gun charged to prolong the life of seals.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I agree with Carl about the legal issues! I have a owners manual for my Model 114 (1950's) that states that you should always leave the gun charged. Now, that's Co2, but still, you do not se that statement in any of the new Co2 gun manuals.. Also, If Mac1 says that it a good idea to leave your pumper with a light charge, then that's good enough for me! He has a reputation beyond approach in the airgun world.

Still, you were talking about 8-10 pumps and not 1-2 pumps. Big difference in pressure!! But, I still see no problem with it as you stated it would be left for only 1-2 hours.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

the only seal i noticed anything on was the old brass valve stems.they has some kind of "rubber" in them.when left fully charged for more than a day there would be a ring impression in the seal where it was seated,but was not a problem at the time and still not a problem 2 years later  :-*.i do keep my seals lubed
with the new valve stems i dont see the same impression as on the old brass ones,when stored fully charged for days.
this is just my personal experience.not saying its right or wrong  :P
closed mouths dont get fed

ShadowLurker

Cool. Thanks guys. You made me feel better about it. I'm planning to tear the thing apart and upgrade the valve and piston pretty soon anyway*, so I'm not afraid to go in and diagnose problems if anything goes wrong.

*Indeed, I'll have questions..but I'll use the search function first. I KNOW this one has been discussed.

AlanF

I've been keeping my with a pump or two for the benefit of the seals.

NorthStaR

I find as the day warms up that a small charge ddevelopes in the valve. Small, but a charge none-the-less.
Only from the ambient temp expanding the trapped air inside.

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....