Co2 question

Started by chinaboy, June 15, 2011, 10:59:30 PM

chinaboy

How long can you keep a CO2 12 gam in our gun.  If there is no leaking, can you keep the thing in there for long periods?  I always read not to leave an airgun with one in, yet many people say to leave a pumper pumped 1-2x for storage?

I guess I'm on the fence whether to purchase a 1377 or invest in a 2250.  I don't want to keep buying CO2 yet I left a 12 gram CO2 in my C31 and it has held for a few weeks.

quickster47 †

I've left a CO2 powerlet in some of my guns for two or three months with no problems.

But as usual there is always much debate about this.  Crosman does NOT recommend it because of legal liability issues.  However, most folks who work on airguns for a living will tell you it is okay, especially since it keeps the seals active.

But you should really do what is the most comfortable for you.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I don't see a problem with bulk fed systems, but on a cartridge system, you run the risk of permenatly compressing the seal. That said, I leave most of mine charged when I haven't shot everything out of the cart. If I do, then I back off the cap and leave the cart in the tube without any pressure on the seal. Don't have a whole lot of time, except with the 1861 Shiloh, with has always had a cart in it from the day it was bought back in the 70's? (or was it the 80's?)
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

don't think you can go wrong with either .co2 is dependent on the temperature so if in a warm climate co2 is good .pumping is good if living in a cooler climate --- you charge won't be as effected as to velocity change if shooting on a warm day or if teh day is cool,even cold.co2 likes warm to hot weather --- not so effective in cool or cold weather. ask yourself would you rather pump all year round get the same numbers or just shoot on the warmer days .    you could invest in one --- mod it and then get the other --- each has it's pros and cons but both are good to have in your collection  ;)  :P :) 
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses