What does a shroud do vs LDC?

Started by chinaboy, June 21, 2011, 04:24:17 AM

chinaboy

What is the purpose of a shroud?  I read it protects your hands from a hot barrel but does it also have the same benefit as a LDC?

NorthStaR

A shroud is mearly a tube/sheath over the barrel. BUT the contents are what makes the difference. Temperature isn't relative here.

Some shrouds are simply tubes that are for aesthetics only. Others have baffles, discs or a second inner drilled out tube
all of which can effect the report and performance of the gun.

For legal reasons I can not show you the contents or how to make them as US law does not allow (US forum) this but here in the UK you can legally use them.

And LDC is essentially just attached to the end of the barrel and can have the contents listed above or not - again this can be for legal reasons and depending
where you purchase one can depend on its functionality. Its name is given that it collects lead dust. Some people describe a muzzle brake, LDC, air stripper
and a Ssshy tube incorrectly as one thing but is really another - but they are just labels.

The trouble with these terms is also if you type in the naughty word it will change upon posting.

A muzzle brake will redirect sound and potentially help with clean air for the pellets flight.
The sound redirection is governed by the angle of the vents/holes. It generally doesn't collect lead dust.

A Sssh tube will do the clean air thing and dampen the report of the gun in all directions. It will colllect lead dust too.

An LDC could be a Ssshy tube if its internals are installed or simply a tube extension for looks. It may collect dust, it may not. It may clean air or not.

An Air stripper will clean the air for the pellets flight. It may redirect the report and may collect lead dust. But the clean air is its primary job.
It is very similar to a muzzle brake and can be a shrouded version too. They are twins of sorts but not identical twins.

All these items could be incorporated into a shroud to some degree.

Apart from that an LDC goes on the barrel end and a shroud covers the entire barrel.

SO, the purpose of the shroud depends on what you want from it and how the law governs you (if that bothers you!).

Hope that helps, it's a tricky description to give!  ;)
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

quickster47 †

Well Mr. NorthStar, you did an excellent job in describing a tricky/touchy subject.  :-* :-* :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

Quote from: quickster47 on June 21, 2011, 03:56:01 PM
Well Mr. NorthStar, you did an excellent job in describing a tricky/touchy subject.  :-* :-* :-*

Carl
X1 great job  NS.   :-*
                  Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

tatsumi

Yeh good write up mate, I would have put my foot right in it, not by intention mind :-*

Should go in the reference section

AA S200 MK2 .22 multishot, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 IR with Decimeater Moderator
AS2250XT custom .22, Hawke 2-7x32 AO IR with UK Neil Shroud
2240 custom .22, Hawke RD30SR with Porky Moderator

NorthStaR

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

AZAG

Thanks chinaboy for asking and Northstar for answering.

zoned

I would also add that a muzzle brake can be used for the purpose of reducing muzzle recoil or flip. If the holes direct the air out of the top then it could help with that.

chinaboy