Need some opinions hb17 project [finish and direction]

Started by Madkoifish, June 22, 2011, 10:00:02 AM

Madkoifish

Ok, I need some feedback and opinions. This here is my old hb17 pistol. It was my first pellet gun. I beat it and didnt know the first thing about caring for it. I think it was like 50$ at a sporting goods store. The pump arm has even been snaped in half and rewelded. It get nothing but love now. I shoot it once a week at least and it is feed oil regularly and got a semi rebuild. Took it apart and cleaned it best I could. I cannot get the roll pin out. I will be drilling it out or making a press to get it out so I can do a proper rebuild such as replacing repaired parts IE the pump arm and some trigger parts, some of the contact points inside are eating each other.

SO this is the delema. As you can see it is in roughish shape, least the finish is. SO should I strip it down and do a satin brass or polished brass finish ? Leave it as is and just keep the finish clean, or refinish it with a new coat of pain? (guess it would have to be a ceramic baked on finish) The other thing are these pesky scope mounts. As you can see in the pics one part is not the same. . . . one is a blueish anno vs the other three. SO strip em or paint em as well. These though Id have to leave the doves and inner barrel contacts paint free.

Oh forgot to mention this is a older gun (duh) and is all brass grip frame tube etc.

I do plan a new stock on this gun. Idea is to turn it into a little carbine. and maybe fab up some sort of break or ldc on the end to help the crack this thing makes. 1 pump and it is pushing 109db @10ft Have a visualization of the planned stock. It is still a WIP at this stage.
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=3712.msg36176#msg36176

Madkoifish

Attaching the stock pics too for the heck of it. One pic is of the gun broken down and fairly old shows the abuse it has lived through.  The stock image shows 2 a older one I did before I knew much about scopes and height and cheek welds. Though I was more concerned with a red dot and irons so it would have worked ok. I like to shoot pistols close in to the face. A girl on Mac1's site is shooting a scoped pistol like how I often shoot pistols. (well ones what wont kick you in the face) I was doing this with my pc77 and the peep option on that gun for a while.

Anyhow lemme know what you guys think on the finish on the gun and parts. I will likely turn this into the project thread later on. Gotta unpack my tools for the stock work. been 107f out so I have avoided cleaning up the garage.