Which type bolt do you guys prefer, extended probe or flow through?

Started by L.O. Little, June 28, 2011, 02:27:29 AM

L.O. Little

I have one of each type in my two 13xx based guns, I think I like the flow through type better...
Lynn

quickster47 †

In my humble opinion it is hard to beat the flow thru bolt for the simple reason that regardless of the pellet type, said pellet is always placed in the same location in reference to the transfer port.  This gives better accuracy which can be more important than velocity increases.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Oh yeah.....Flow through all the way. Will be ordering more of them from Charlie soon. I see he has the .177 bolts now!!!

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

airguns100

I'v had some issues with flow through bolt's squishing pellet skirt's while loading if their not perfectly machined. It could have just been the bolt's i had though.

I'm now using.
-D.C SS .177 long probe bolt on my polished 1377c
-D.C SS .22 long probe bolt on my polished 2289g

D.C long probe design provides superior headspace resulting in perfect pellet projection. It's a good bolt to say the least..

-Rye

The OG gangster of the "bling"

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

L.O. Little

It's funny, you guys mentioning Don Cothrans bolts... I have one of his long SS breeches coming this week (along with a 14" .22 cal barrel from Charlie Mellon), that's why I started this thread.

I have one of Charlies flow through bolts in my Crosmodded PC77, I like how it contacts the skirt of the pellet so evenly. I was thinking I might order another one to go in the Cothran breech, but now I think I might just give the Cothran bolt a try.
Lynn

arkmaker †

Truthfully, I am using both right now. I like the flow thru because it pushes the pelley by contact to the skirt only and assures the same depth of the pellet, no matter which brand as the inside depth vary a bit from pellet to pellet (a minimal amount I admit). Also, the air/gas comes straight up into the bolt and straight out and into the rear of the pellet with out any turbulance (in my mind anyways). On extended probe bolt the air flows around it, spliting the air flow, createing turbulance and the air flow will be further blocked reaching the entire surface of the rear of the pellet by the contact made by the probe itself on the inside rear of the pellet, not to mention that some air/gas could slip by the outside edge of the pellet skirt, cause the deformation as the pellet leaves the barrel. The latter is less likely to happen with a flow thru bolt.

The above is a total hypothesis based on the way my mind is wired to think. No real support to back any of it up, but just thinking about it that way, I feel better with a flow thru bolt. Oh, and the fact that my 114 made in the '50's uses one can't go unmentioned!! She kicks like a MO Mule!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

HappyHunter

Flow through all the way! Accuracy improved over a wide variety of pellets, plus gained an extra 10 fps (average) to boot! :-*

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

airguns100

Quote from: arkmaker on June 28, 2011, 04:17:30 AM
On extended probe bolt the air flows around it, spliting the air flow, createing turbulance and the air flow will be further blocked reaching the entire surface of the rear of the pellet by the contact made by the probe itself on the inside rear of the pellet, not to mention that some air/gas could slip by the outside edge of the pellet skirt, cause the deformation as the pellet leaves the barrel.

I'v tried using a bolt without a probe or flow through tip, just a oring around a smooth surface.  lol
i was pushing the pellets past the transfer port with a piece of plastic looking for higher fps. I don't think there's a (hugh) difference in over all pellet speed, with either type. Imo the D.C probe design is similar to another well known machinist that sells it for the mark1. The theory behind the design is to push air around the tip of the probe causing the pellet skirt to expand better down the rifling of the barrel, resulting in better accuracy, rather then shooting the air directly behind the pellet. Again, it depends on how well the bolt is made. I'v personally had better accuracy with the design mentioned. To each their own.  :)
The OG gangster of the "bling"

NorthStaR

I like both to be honest. I don't mind the stock standard one either.  :-[

I do find the hollow version does what others have mentioned with slicing pellet skirts occasionally.  ???
The pellets with an extended or standard probe didn't slice even though it's the same batch of pellets?
It could be my loading end of the barrel needs a small bevel/chamfer and the skirt is getting caught on a too clean an edge?

I think all the theories are sound and it makes sense with regards to gas flow and pellet positioning + how the probe places the pellet.

I use all versions depending what I have in my stockpile of random bits'n'bobs!  :-*

I,I,I...... !  ;D
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

1377x

with a 1377 in .22 either bolt works
in .177 extended probe only leaves more room for modding,hollow probe has limited "space"
closed mouths dont get fed

Madkoifish

I think the trimming is because your putting load on the skirt itself vs at the back of the pellet where the skirt is being "pulled" along.

L.O. Little

Now that I have both of my 13xx guns pretty much finished, I'm going to replace their extended probe bolts with Charlie's flow through bolts. I have one of Charlie's flow through bolts in my 2240, and I seem to get less fliers than I do in my 13xx guns.
Lynn

1377x

i had one of charlies .177 flow through bolts.wasnt for me i like power and it couldnt handle the power of my disco.it did ok in my 1377 but i hog out the ports in my guns and it left no room for modification
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

I recently recieved a Crosman breech and am pretty sure it does not come with and extended bolt. That said, I have no problems with ths supplied bolt, but do have a problem loading a pellet. Is it normal to have this prollem with a Crosman steel breech
Larry