1377 First Impressions

Started by AZAG, July 02, 2011, 06:15:10 AM

AZAG

None of this will be news to you air pistol veterans, but my reman 1377 arrived so I thought I would share my first impressions of my first air pistol.

First of all this is not a toy, and in case there was any question on the matter it even says "Not a toy" on the side.  I like the heft of it, it feels like real pistol.  (I'm coming from the world of powder burners, and looking for something that is more backyard friendly.)  I guess that it was the brown  plastic grips that fooled me into thinking it was for kids.

Second impression, what is that junk that is stuck in the barrel?  Solvent from powder burner cleaning kit wouldn't take it out.  I read on one of the threads to try goo gone or simple green.  It seems like I'll need to disassemble the gun to get it cleaned out good.  Seems kind of silly to tear it apart without even putting a single pellet through it.

Hoping to get it cleaned up over the long weekend, put some pellets over the chrony to get a get a pre-mod baseline, and figure out which pellet it likes best.

1377x

QuoteSeems kind of silly to tear it apart without even putting a single pellet through it.

believe you wouldnt be the first
it is good to get a baseline before modding
congrats
may it bring you plenty of enjoyment
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

The 1377 is really a well made gun and a great choice.   :-*  It has a good heritage and continues to have a significantly large following.  You can make it wild or mild depending on your choice of modification parts.

But as you noted, it is good to have a baseline from which to start.  Although we sometimes get too anxious and skip that part.   ???

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

NorthStaR

Junk? What like loose material? Sticky? Dry? Metal? Soft squidgey goo? Rust? Oxide?

I've not heard this before. Perhaps a few pellets may remove it?  Seems odd?

Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

1377x

Quote from: NorthStaR on July 04, 2011, 02:11:46 PM
Junk? What like loose material? Sticky? Dry? Metal? Soft squidgey goo? Rust? Oxide?

I've not heard this before. Perhaps a few pellets may remove it?  Seems odd?
i know the junk he's talking about,probably lil of everything you mentioned
when you shoot powderburners they leave residue gunk especially with rimfire's.
well, just a couple of days ago, i was at the shop saw a barrel that looked like it was shooting rimfire bullets.the filthiest barrel i ever seen and i had some pretty abused powderburners. he said after he tried cleaning it there were chatter maks in the barrel and some of the residue wouldnt come out.not to mention the barrel came off a custom shop gun :o
closed mouths dont get fed

T191032

Quote from: 1377x on July 04, 2011, 05:10:32 PM
i know the junk he's talking about,probably lil of everything you mentioned
when you shoot powderburners they leave residue gunk especially with rimfire's.
well, just a couple of days ago, i was at the shop saw a barrel that looked like it was shooting rimfire bullets.the filthiest barrel i ever seen and i had some pretty abused powderburners. he said after he tried cleaning it there were chatter maks in the barrel and some of the residue wouldnt come out.not to mention the barrel came off a custom shop gun :o

An older fellow I used to know (he's dead now) once told me that he would clean a .22 rimfire with Black Powder solvent cleaner.  He swore it was the best solution to clean the barrels with he had found.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

NorthStaR

Oh I see. But in an airgun I wouldn't expect to find what he's found? Especially in a custom shop gun like you said in one you looked at!  :o

Still maybe the powder burner cleaning tricks will work for him.  :)

I always find that 22xx hammers are normally quite manky on arrival - always a patch of oxide or similar. ??? Polish up well though!  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

AZAG

Not sure what it was, but I've read on several forums that crosman barrels come from the factory very dirty.  Goo gone seems to have cleaned it up okay.  First disassembly was a little nerveracking, but after a couple of tries it went back together.

NorthStaR

Good news. It'll be the first breakdowns of many I reckon!  :-*
Double-tap!

AZAG

First day out with the 1377 went pretty well.  Got it sited in, and tried out a couple of pellets.  It seemed to like Polymags best, which isn't surprising since they are a premium pellet.  The wind picked up so testing had to be abbreviated.  First mod will have to be fix the trigger and sites, and hopefully accruacy will improve for all pellets.  I did learn that 5 pumps is likely my pumping endurance limit so any performance mods will be to maximize performance at 5 pumps or less.  I was really surprised how quiet it was, actually the loudest step to shooting it was the slap of the pump arm.  Got some more pellets on the way, so looking forward to doing more detailed accuracy and velocity testing with pellets of different weights.